'Cuda to Get All New Platform

Started by Atomic, April 06, 2013, 06:30:05 AM

Atomic

'Cuda (SRT brand Barracuda) to Get All New Platform

I knew there was a reason for its delay and that of the SRT-4 (thinking now from the Barracuda vs. Dodge Dart -- only my speculation for the latter):

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/04/gilles-confirms-barracuda-on-new-platform

Raza

A sporty coupe!  Based on a midsize sedan!  That's what I need, another coupe bigger than the city in which I live. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

Quote from: Raza  on April 07, 2013, 07:58:39 AM
A sporty coupe!  Based on a midsize sedan!  That's what I need, another coupe bigger than the city in which I live. 

I could live with this:

Atomic

Atomic

An amateur's illustration of the SRT Barracuda (directly below) when it was first believed that the 'Cuda coupe and ragtop would be built on the Dodge Challenger's platform as we know it today. The individual's perceptions of the upcoming coupe's "look" submitted through his rendition directly to Allpar appears to have been based on the initial notion that the SRT brand Barracuda was likely to be little more than an altered Challenger. Thankfully, both cars will be vastly different from each other and even the current generation Dodge Challenger and Challenger SRT-8.

Laconian

A Barracuda... for ants!?! (brushes rendering aside in a huff) That door is one foot long!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Secret Chimp

Allpar "renderings" are usually pretty bad, but that one really takes the cake. I'm surprised it isn't Foreverially Tiedup Cuda, fully delitized, with permanent bologna engine and bbq pizza tires.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Laconian

Oh man... I'd do that if I wasn't at work.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Emphasis on the amateur in "amateur rendering" :lol:

Lord, I could draw something better on a napkin.  That's bad.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Char

Will it still be an overweight pig?
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Atomic

Quote from: Char on April 17, 2013, 04:29:43 PM
Will it still be an overweight pig?

Fortunately, I think the following story means NO in regards to the all new SRT brand Barracuda for MY15. It's becoming far clearer after learning that the Dodge Challenger and its sportiest of versions, its own distict (from the SRT Cuda) SRT-8 version will be a "larger car" with its upcoming full redesign. It will not be as portly, but big? Let's say roomy, more powerful and perhaps far more fuel efficient in 2014.

~ Atomic

The skinny :lol: from Chrysler insider "oh2o" via Dave from Allpar...

Staggered large-car refreshes in 2014? Posted on April 18th, 2013 • by David Zatz

Word from Canada is that Chrysler will be staggering its large-car refreshes next year, when the 2015s make their debut (around a year past their original schedule, possibly to accommodate slower than expected ramp-up at the Indiana transmission plants, coupled with higher-than-expected sales).

The first car will be the 2015 Dodge Challenger, on the new LA platform; originally this was to be a shortened version to cut weight, but it's quite possible that Challenger will end up at around its current size, perhaps two or three inches shorter. The main benefit to buyers will be the eight-speed automatic, expected to be standard on all Challengers, as it is on Grand Cherokees and Durangos. The current Challenger cannot use that transmission, resulting in a muscle car which is oddly much slower (with V6) than the larger, lower-horsepower 300C V6. A comprehensive interior upgrade is also expected, since Challenger's trim currently lags behind the entire Chrysler product line in many critics' eyes. The basic Challenger look should remain, but the dual front headlights (one headlight, one parking light disguised as a second headlight) may disappear.

Following the Challenger by a matter of months, we expect to see the Charger coming down the line. There's no word on what to expect, visually, but some playing with the grille and front fascia is practically a given. The tail will probably remain similar to the current model, perhaps with the "solid line" version of the racetrack tail-lamps,  eliminating the obvious use of individual LED bulbs. We also expect the headlights to change.

Finally, just before 2015 shows up in reality as well as in model-years, the 300/300C is to appear. Ralph Gilles told us that the current styling cues are to continue, and we expect mild changes to the optics and grille, with some changes to rear lighting, to be the extent of exterior visual changes.

Staggering the launches may have been planned to maintain quality and reduce problems during the refreshes, or to make the separation between the models clearer (three separate releases rather than one single release would highlight the individuality of each car).

All the refreshed and new large cars are expected to have the seven-inch reconfigurable dashboards, UConnect 2 (as upgraded by that time), standard eight-speed automatics, paddle shifters on select models, the full panoply of safety gizmos (some of which will be new to Challenger but are already available on Charger and 300C), the 6.2 supercharged Hemi option on SRT models, and possibly the more economical 3.2 liter Pentastar replacing the current 3.6 as the base engine to improve city-cycle gas mileage. (oh2o contributed substantially to this story.)

Atomic

^ Obviously, since the ALL NEW SRT BRAND BARRACUDA will not share platforms with the Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger and Chrysler 300/300C, it was NOT apart of the above story on the release dates of those three successful RWD/AWD Chrysler products.

I still predict* that the initially planned Dodge Dart SRT-4 was put on hold or maybe scrapped altogether for this model run in favor of the highly charged CUDA or Barracuda having the distinction of ushering its hyped up return.

*SRT-4 Barracuda and/or SRT-6 Barracuda and/or SRT-8 Barracuda ~ I say at least two of the three

MrH

Sorry Atomic, but that's all off.  Not sure where these guys are getting their data...

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Atomic

Quote from: MrH on April 16, 2013, 06:34:54 AM
Emphasis on the amateur in "amateur rendering" :lol:

Lord, I could draw something better on a napkin.  That's bad.

I thought I'd make the poor guy feel important in case he checks in. Lol.