NY Law

Started by J86, November 06, 2005, 07:02:56 PM

J86

Pulled over on NY thruway w/ a ticket for 81 in a 65- got court date.  Any particular NY laws to watch out for, knowledge of points for this violation, etc?  Thanks much...

-for my roommate

Raza

Does he have an NY license?  If not, he shouldn't get any points, so even if he loses, it won't hurt more than tha ticket cost.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

10-20 mph over the limit is 4 points in NYS, assuming he has a NY license.

3 speeding tickets in 18 months = six month license revocation.

That's why it's probably a good idea to try to plead this down to a non-speeding violation.

Hopefully, L. Ed Foote will answer this thread.  He has extensive experience with these issues.   :lol:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

J86

Pennsylvania licence.

Thanks.

dazzleman

QuotePennsylvania licence.

Thanks.
No problem, happy to help.

Your friend should ask Pennsylvania if they will give him points for a New York ticket.  If not, then all he has to worry about is the fine.

My guess is that the fine will be $150-200.  If he wants to save some money potentially, he can go to court.  I saved $100 on my last ticket by facing the music in court rather than just mailing it in.  If he doesn't think it's worth the trip, he can just mail it in, no worries, if there are no points.

That's the beauty of out-of-state tickets.  It seems I always get my tickets in my home state.  rokon.gif  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

Hehe.   Out-of-state tix are nothing to sweat.  In fact I'm HOPING I have the honor of being written up in a certain Baltimore County, MD officer's ticket book someday.  :lol:  

L. ed foote

As stated before, you have to see if PA recognizes NY tickets.  If so, it'll be a problem, if not, then you have no other worries but the fine.

I guess your friend was caught on I-81?  Tully?

Anyway, you're looking at less than a $150 fine
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

QuoteHehe.   Out-of-state tix are nothing to sweat.  In fact I'm HOPING I have the honor of being written up in a certain Baltimore County, MD officer's ticket book someday.  :lol:
Me too, man.  To get written up for speeding by Officer Bob would be hilarious, and well worth the cost of the ticket.   :lol:  

MX793

QuoteAs stated before, you have to see if PA recognizes NY tickets.  If so, it'll be a problem, if not, then you have no other worries but the fine.

I guess your friend was caught on I-81?  Tully?

I-81 isn't part of the thruway...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

L. ed foote

QuoteAs stated before, you have to see if PA recognizes NY tickets.  If so, it'll be a problem, if not, then you have no other worries but the fine.

I guess your friend was caught on I-81?  Tully?

I-81 isn't part of the thruway...
yeah, I don't know what I was thinking...  Especially when I said over @ C&D that a thruway was an expressway with tolls.

I still think he was nailed in the Syracuse area.  Every time I was hit up there, it was the guys out at the Port Byron barracks.  Troop E, IIRC
Member, Self Preservation Society

J86

'Twas Syracuse area.  He didn't get too far from school...

MX793

The interstates around Syracuse are always crawling with cops.  The've got a nice hiding place on 90 to the east where they'll set up 3 or 4 cruisers and just pick people off.  They also like to camp out on 481 to the north of the city in a nice little nook near a bridge where the cruiser is well hidden.  Definately not the place to be speeding.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5