***Porsche Trip 2013***

Started by cawimmer430, April 15, 2013, 11:00:46 AM

cawimmer430

Here are the snapshots and impressions from yesterdays annual April spring trip with Porsche fans. The scenic drive will take us to the Alps through beautiful scenery and twisty roads that these guys love so much.

This years participants:

Porsche 911 Classic Targa

Alfa Romeo 147 GTA (tuned to 350-horsepower - owner says it torque steers like crazy!)

A blue Porsche 964 Carrera...

Porsche 996 Carrera 4 (AWD)

Porsche 997 Carrera S

BMW Z1

Porsche Cayman S

Porsche 964 Carrera

Porsche 964 Carrera 4 (AWD)

Maserati Gran Turismo

Porsche 993 Carrera

Suped-up Porsche 964 Carrera

Porsche 997 Carrera

Grünwald 10:00 AM - starting point. I got to ride with the grey Porsche 997 GT3. Check out the videos and see how the guy hammered it. That car is INSANE!!!

The Italians amongst the Germans...

I was co-pilot in this baby: Porsche 997 GT3. INSANE POWER!!! INSANE!!!

VIDEOS: PORSCHE 997 GT3

1 Porsche GT3

2 Porsche GT3

Heading towards the Alps...

11:30 AM - rest stop in a small scenic Bavarian town. Here I changed rides and rode along with the BMW Z1.

This Alfa Romeo 147 GTA has the standard 3.2-l N/A V6 that's been tuned to 350-horsepower - going through the front wheels!!! Massive torque steer!

The Cayman S creeping up on the Z1. The Z1 drove very nicely. The owner hammered it most of the time and it wasn't slow by any means, but clearly no match against the modern Porsches in the convoy.

VIDEOS: BMW Z1

3 BMW Z1

4 BMW Z1

5 BMW Z1

Rear of the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA...

The Z1 owner had the doors down - allowed for some creative photography!

Approaching the Alps...

Me in the Z1...

12:30 - eating in a Bavarian restaurant high in the foothills of the Alps!

After lunch, our next destination was the Sylvensteinspeicher. Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvensteinspeicher

That's real dust the black Porsche is leaving behind on the tarmac no doubt brought about by the street sign on the right letting us know that the speed limit is gone!

Approaching the Sylvensteinspeicher...

The Sylvensteinspeicher...

Group photo with one side of the Sylvensteinspeicher in the background...

Next destination: Walchensee. The roads in the mountains around this area are very twisty and PERFECT for a dedicated sports car. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walchensee

Some detailed shots of the car I rode in. The owner posing with his beloved Z1, the cockpit and the 2.5-l inline with 170-horsepower.

My next ride: Porsche 964 Carrera 4 (AWD) - rode with this guy through twisty Alp roads. His brakes need some adjusting as they're making some really annoying noises! He just bought the car and hasn't had it restored yet.

VIDEOS: PORSCHE 964 CARRERA 4 (AWD)

6 Porsche 964 Carrera 4

7 Porsche 964 Carrera 4

8 Porsche 964 Carrera 4

I shot this Porsche 993 Carrera a long time ago and everytime I see it I still drool over it. The owner has lowered it in the meantime and also added some nicer rims!

The cool thing about this trip? A lot of Porsche drivers who spot our mostly-Porsche-filled-convoy will turn around and follow us - like this silver Porsche 993. He joined our group and participated in the sporty driving!

Next destination, a famous restaurant near Grünwald that serves some awesome cakes and sweets!

After desert, I switched rides: Maserati Gran Turismo S - what an amazing machine. I sat in front and the car was really comfortable. In corners the body roll was quite hefty, but then again this is a GT and not a hardcore sports car. Lovely ride. Be sure to check out the crappy video I took of the car starting up. After that my camera battery died.

VIDEOS: MASERATI GRAN TURISMO S

9 Maserati GranTurismo S

And here are the cars I spotted during this scenic drive!

1960s Chevrolet Camaro!!!

Covered BMW 4-Series, official BMW Factory Car

Volvo Amazon

Ferrari 599 GTB

BMW 2002 Turbo

Jaguar E-Type

Jaguar Mark II?

A 1950s Chevrolet or Cadillac?

BMW CSL

Irmscher Opel GT

Rolls Royce Ghost

Ferrari 308

Subaru Impreza WRX STI

Opel GT

Audi R8 V10 Spider photographed from within the BMW Z1...

Looks like an old MG and a Porsche 912 Targa...

And a few minutes later they drive by...

I believe the car on the left was an Austin Healey. I only managed this shot as we sped by...

Aston Martin Vantage Convertible

Classic Porsche 911!

Rolls Royce Silver ________...

Corvette

Triumph TR6

Very sexy Lotus Elise!

More classic GM. A Bel Air Coupe from '56 or '57. Not a fan of the mods...

So yeah, I had a cool Sunday!  :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Hachee

Wow, nice group of pictures.  Thanks for taking the time to post all of those!

That bronze colored 911 targa and the classic orange 911 are just fantastic.   

cawimmer430

Quote from: Hachee on April 15, 2013, 02:03:35 PM
Wow, nice group of pictures.  Thanks for taking the time to post all of those!

That bronze colored 911 targa and the classic orange 911 are just fantastic.   

Anytime.  :cheers:

There was also a rare metallic lite green-colored '80s Porsche 911 Classic at the beginning but he didn't participate in the drive. Apparently that green color was only available for one year. I asked him he was interested in a shoot because such a car would be great for my portfolio. I hope he contacts me.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colin

For some reason I missed this thread......... glad I found it. Looks like an epic day out.

That is not an Austin Healey, by the way, it's a Triumph TR2.

Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit.

The BelAir is a 57.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colin on May 06, 2013, 12:29:02 PM
For some reason I missed this thread......... glad I found it. Looks like an epic day out.

That is not an Austin Healey, by the way, it's a Triumph TR2.

Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit.

The BelAir is a 57.

:ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

veeman

awesome... thanks for sharing

a small snippet of an article from the NY Times regarding Jerry Seinfeld:  Seinfeld likens his fine-bore interest in jokes to his longstanding infatuation with Porsches, of which he owns "a few dozen." "People ask me, Why Porsches? A lot of it is the size, same as with bits. The smaller something is, the harder it is to make, because there's less room for error." In high school he took shop classes, even after a counselor told him that collegebound kids didn't need to, because he wanted to know how machines fit together. "I have this old '57 Porsche Speedster, and the way the door closes, I'll just sit there and listen to the sound of the latch going, cluh-CLICK-click," Seinfeld said. "That door! I live for that door. Whatever the opposite of planned obsolescence is, that's what I'm into." Mark Schiff, a veteran club comic and one of Seinfeld's oldest friends, told me: "He's a scientist. When you watch him, he's in the lab, concocting. I feel that way, too, to a degree, but with him every little nuance is so valuable." Sarah Silverman, who has shared bills with Seinfeld and long admired him, agrees: "Whereas most comedians are lazy bastards, he's the ultimate craftsman."

i've noticed that porsche enthusiasts are REALLY into porsche.  More than even bmw fanboys.  I'd love to own one one day.  can't get the boxster or cayman because I need at least some backseat with two small kids.  maybe a used targa.  sigh...

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on May 09, 2013, 04:03:50 PM
awesome... thanks for sharing

a small snippet of an article from the NY Times regarding Jerry Seinfeld:  Seinfeld likens his fine-bore interest in jokes to his longstanding infatuation with Porsches, of which he owns "a few dozen." "People ask me, Why Porsches? A lot of it is the size, same as with bits. The smaller something is, the harder it is to make, because there's less room for error." In high school he took shop classes, even after a counselor told him that collegebound kids didn't need to, because he wanted to know how machines fit together. "I have this old '57 Porsche Speedster, and the way the door closes, I'll just sit there and listen to the sound of the latch going, cluh-CLICK-click," Seinfeld said. "That door! I live for that door. Whatever the opposite of planned obsolescence is, that's what I'm into." Mark Schiff, a veteran club comic and one of Seinfeld's oldest friends, told me: "He's a scientist. When you watch him, he's in the lab, concocting. I feel that way, too, to a degree, but with him every little nuance is so valuable." Sarah Silverman, who has shared bills with Seinfeld and long admired him, agrees: "Whereas most comedians are lazy bastards, he's the ultimate craftsman."

i've noticed that porsche enthusiasts are REALLY into porsche.  More than even bmw fanboys.  I'd love to own one one day.  can't get the boxster or cayman because I need at least some backseat with two small kids.  maybe a used targa.  sigh...

Anytime. This small road trip takes place every early April and I am always invited to attend.  :cheers:

These guys are definitely hardcore Porsche fans, but they also appreciate other sports cars or simple cars. I'm shooting a Porsche 997 GT3 within a few weeks and the owner of that car also has a 135i Coupe and a BMW 520d Touring F10 (daily driver). Most of the folks who participated in this trip are on a German Porsche forum and every year there are always new faces and new cars (even some non-Porsche cars) that participate.

www.wimmerfotografie.de