New Mazda 3?

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 26, 2013, 09:00:53 AM

Atomic

42 High Resolution Photos and More Coming (Supposedly) at Below Link

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/07/2014-mazda3-sedan-new-gallery-with-37.html

Atomic

^ Impressive sideshow from "CarScoops" (above post) and enough pics for me to say I think it is HOT!

93JC

Quote from: Catman on July 07, 2013, 10:52:10 PM
My Maxima had manual shifting and so does my CX-9 I don't use it. Does anyone use it?

*raises hand*

I often use mine in parking lots because the car would otherwise shift between first and second at 10 km/h, which is incredibly annoying. I put in it second and leave it.

I also downshift at the top of hills so that I don't have to ride the brakes down. I have always done so. :huh:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on July 08, 2013, 09:42:07 PM
*raises hand*

I often use mine in parking lots because the car would otherwise shift between first and second at 10 km/h, which is incredibly annoying. I put in it second and leave it.

I also downshift at the top of hills so that I don't have to ride the brakes down. I have always done so. :huh:

In the second case, that's nothing that any automatic wouldn't do.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on July 08, 2013, 03:25:50 PM
One of the regulars in our region autocrosses a 3.5L Altima with the CVT and I'm told he doesn't even bother with the manumatic function, he just leaves it in full auto.  Does pretty well with it too.

I wouldn't bother with it either in an autocross. But for driving around town...it can just add that tiny bit of excitement to the drive. :ohyeah:

hotrodalex

Isn't most autocross done in 2nd gear anyway? Not a huge need to shift.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 08, 2013, 11:44:53 PM
Manumatic controls will (well, are supposed to) keep it in the gear you put it in.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 08, 2013, 10:20:27 PM
In the second case, that's nothing that any automatic wouldn't do.

Or nothing any automatic couldn't do. Like I said I have always done so. In my car that happens to mean putting the shifter in 'M' and selecting 4th or 3rd. In the past, in other cars, that meant pushing an "O/D OFF" button, or shifting from 'OD' to 'D' or 'D' to '3' or 'L' or what have you.

Some people say that that's just "pretending to have a manual transmission"; I think it's driving a car properly.

Atomic

Quote from: 93JC on July 08, 2013, 09:42:07 PM
*raises hand*

I used mine in the couple of Maxima's I owned with this type of "dual transmission" (earlier Maxi's I drove didn't offer it) but mainly when passing and on steep hills. I thought I would miss the feature (not on my new Volvo) but soon got over it  :tounge:

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 08, 2013, 11:44:53 PM

Depends on the car and the course.  I've never needed to use higher than 2nd (or to downshift into first), but all of the cars I've ever autocrossed had reasonably broad powerbands and could do 60+ mph in 2nd.  I've seen some guys with Hondas, especially, who have needed to shift into first on some sections of some courses to keep the VTEC engaged.  Miatas and Hondas seem to frequently need to shift into 3rd on the run up to the finish lights on a lot of the layouts we run. 

Most automatics are programmed to upshift to the highest gear possible as fast as possible.  You don't want the car upshifting when you let off the gas to apply the brakes when entering a corner, so if anything, using manumatic mode to lock the car into 2nd gear would seem to be preferable if nothing but to reduce the amount of gear hunting the car does.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CJ

Quote from: Atomic on July 09, 2013, 09:38:26 AM
I used mine in the couple of Maxima's I owned with this type of "dual transmission" (earlier Maxi's I drove didn't offer it) but mainly when passing and on steep hills. I thought I would miss the feature (not on my new Volvo) but soon got over it  :tounge:

Your XC60 has a manumatic mode.

Atomic

Quote from: CJ on July 09, 2013, 03:20:07 PM
Your XC60 has a manumatic mode.

It does?!  :confused:

:evildude: Must be "hidden" but off in it soon!!

CJ

Just move the shifter either elect or right when in D.

SJ_GTI

When I had a rental ATS recently I used the manumatic function most of the time. When I first started driving it I left it in auto but I found that it was often in too high of a gear for where I would want it to be, so I started using the manumatic function. It was pretty responsive and made the Dallas traffic more tolerable.

Atomic

Quote from: CJ on July 10, 2013, 05:27:47 PM
Just move the shifter either elect or right when in D.

Amazing! Volvo ingenuously makes everything look and feel so integrated that I couldn't tell I had it. Thanx CJ. It works like a charm and like the Maxi and most other cars I tried, not a single jerky motion when operation this feature. On the road today and what a difference in performance and thankfully MPG (for the better) ~ a marked improvement and an entirely new driving experience :0) Was so caught up into the many, many safety features and tech devices of my loaded '13 AWD R-Design Volvo T6, I overlooked this cleverly intricate part of the XC60 ownership experience! 

Raza

Quote from: Atomic on July 11, 2013, 09:39:51 AM
Amazing! Volvo ingenuously makes everything look and feel so integrated that I couldn't tell I had it. Thanx CJ. It works like a charm and like the Maxi and most other cars I tried, not a single jerky motion when operation this feature. On the road today and what a difference in performance and thankfully MPG (for the better) ~ a marked improvement and an entirely new driving experience :0) Was so caught up into the many, many safety features and tech devices of my loaded '13 AWD R-Design Volvo T6, I overlooked this cleverly intricate part of the XC60 ownership experience!

My Mercedes was like that.  I preferred the manual shifting to have its own position in a separated gate, like on my Passat. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

Almost zero difference between the sedan and wagon. What's the point?

SVT666

Quote from: Catman on July 11, 2013, 02:44:51 PM
Well, one is a sedan and the other is a hatchback.

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on July 11, 2013, 02:44:51 PM

Extra versatility versus secured storage, or different looks...

TBR

Fuel economy numbers:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/11/2014-mazda3-2-0l-hatchback-officially-rated-at-40-mpg-highway/

The real concern here is that it seems the 2.5 will be AT only. That's a shame, and it will really be a shame if this means you can't get a manual transmission with leather, a sunroof, etc.

TBR

C/D's first drive puts me at ease: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mazda-3-first-drive-review

Usual fluff, but it does say that a 6MT will be available with the 2.5 after a couple of months.

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2013, 10:46:14 AM
My Mercedes was like that.  I preferred the manual shifting to have its own position in a separated gate, like on my Passat. 

Same with my JGC
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: TBR on July 11, 2013, 03:53:35 PM
C/D's first drive puts me at ease: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mazda-3-first-drive-review

Usual fluff, but it does say that a 6MT will be available with the 2.5 after a couple of months.

Unfortunately, it looks like no matter what trim you select, you still get radio or infotainment controls that looks like after market trash tacked on the dashboard
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on July 11, 2013, 07:35:29 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like no matter what trim you select, you still get radio or infotainment controls that looks like after market trash tacked on the dashboard

Tablet style screens are all the rage these days, unfortunately.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

I think the 3's setup is much better looking than the 6's.

Catman

Quote from: SVT666 on July 11, 2013, 03:02:37 PM
Well, one is a sedan and the other is a hatchback.

Yes, I think I know that.  My point is there is very little difference. The hatchback doesn't look like it adds much space at all.

MX793

Quote from: Catman on July 11, 2013, 09:19:54 PM
Yes, I think I know that.  My point is there is very little difference. The hatchback doesn't look like it adds much space at all.

The difference is in the vertical space of the cargo area.  The height of the trunk and the even lower height of the structure at the base of the rear window (behind the rear seats) in the sedan limits how much I can fit in the trunk.  I can't carry a second set of tires in my trunk.  I can fit maybe 1 in the trunk and stack the others in the back seat.  The hatch can fit a set of 4 tires without dropping the rear seats.  Sedans have < 12 cu.ft. of trunk space while the hatches have 17 cu.ft. with the seats up.  That's significant.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: Catman on July 11, 2013, 09:19:54 PM

We ended up buying the focus sedan because the focus hatch didn't have crap for luggage space with the seats up.  The sedan had about an extra foot of room.

3.0L V6

I'll have to see it in person, but it looks great in pics. I think I may have found a car that will replace my '01 Protege in a few years.

Onslaught

I think the 5 door looks better.