New Mazda 3?

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 26, 2013, 09:00:53 AM

Payman

Fantastic. I think it's right there with my Focus as best looking cars in class. How can Mazda can make great looking cars while the other Japanese makers create rolling eyesores in this class?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on June 29, 2013, 09:22:40 AM
Fantastic. I think it's right there with my Focus as best looking cars in class. How can Mazda can make great looking cars while the other Japanese makers create rolling eyesores in this class?
Mazda has no choice but excellence in every category. Not a bad thing for us I guess but I sure hope this gamble pays off.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Onslaught

Those are RX-8 R3 rims on that thing.

12,000 RPM

They look great

Im not really hot on another turbo hot hatch though. We need some variety in the segment

hotrodalex

Not sure there's any other way to get that kind of power with an engine that'll fit in the engine bay.

CALL_911

A BRZ hatch would be dope

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 29, 2013, 04:05:23 PM
A BRZ hatch would be dope

A shooting brake?

Goddammit you guys. Shooting brakes are dumb! :lol:

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 29, 2013, 03:14:09 PM
Not sure there's any other way to get that kind of power with an engine that'll fit in the engine bay.

If Mazda had variable valve lift technology, they might be able to get 240+ hp out of their 2.5L SkyActiv motor sans turbo.  Unfortunately, they don't.  Maybe they could contract Yamaha to design them a head?  Of course, if they went NA they'd be down on torque to the Focus ST or GTI.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Catman

Quote from: SVT666 on June 29, 2013, 01:16:32 AM
The last thing you should be able to access while driving is Facebook and Twitter.

Tave

Not bad at all. I think I'm still leaning towards the 6 or BRZ but I'll have to put this on the list too.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 29, 2013, 04:17:36 PM
If Mazda had variable valve lift technology, they might be able to get 240+ hp out of their 2.5L SkyActiv motor sans turbo.  Unfortunately, they don't.  Maybe they could contract Yamaha to design them a head?  Of course, if they went NA they'd be down on torque to the Focus ST or GTI.
Thats too much $$$

Plus I am not sure how they could sneak that past emissions. I am surprised the FBRSZ has such a motor. 100HP/L NA motors are pretty much limited to exotics now.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 29, 2013, 07:10:29 PM
Thats too much $$$

Plus I am not sure how they could sneak that past emissions. I am surprised the FBRSZ has such a motor. 100HP/L NA motors are pretty much limited to exotics now.

Hardly.  If anything, turbocharged motors are harder to get past emissions than NA.  Turbos are notorious for running a bit rich, increasing unburned HC emissions.  The problem with high specific output NA motors is more that their powerband tends to be pretty narrow.  Much moreso than a turbocharged engine of similar specific output.  Puts a damper on daily driveability, which is why you don't see Honda fitting the Accord, or Toyota the Camry, with a 100 hp/L N/A motor even though they have the technology to do so.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 29, 2013, 03:14:09 PM

Turbos and their plumbing take up a lot of space.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 30, 2013, 01:34:41 AM
Turbos and their plumbing take up a lot of space.

Yeah, but in a different way than two more cylinders or whatever.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 29, 2013, 07:19:03 PM
Hardly.  If anything, turbocharged motors are harder to get past emissions than NA.  Turbos are notorious for running a bit rich, increasing unburned HC emissions.  The problem with high specific output NA motors is more that their powerband tends to be pretty narrow.  Much moreso than a turbocharged engine of similar specific output.  Puts a damper on daily driveability, which is why you don't see Honda fitting the Accord, or Toyota the Camry, with a 100 hp/L N/A motor even though they have the technology to do so.
Rich running turbo motors is an old phenomenon. W/ECUs being as sophisticated as they are today, as well as the cooling effect of direct injection, turbo motors can run pretty clean.

With the right technology high specific output N/A motors can have pretty flat powerbands. Honda's DOHC VTEC motors were making ~80% of peak torque for like 80% of the rev range. The problem is a flat powerband isn't good for daily driving. The S2000 makes like 90% of peak torque throughout the rev range; but we are talking 150lb-ft in a 2800lb car. So you have to thrash it to get around which makes it inefficient. Contrast that with a "peaky" turbo engine like something in a VW or Audi, that spools + peaks off idle and begins to taper off at ~4K, where most daily driving (and EPA testing) never occurs anyway... the second approach makes much more sense.

You look at engines, 80-100lb-ft of torque per liter is about all you will see from an NA motor. More displacement = more pumping losses = lower efficiency (and higher consumption/emmissions) at part loads. In today's climate turbocharging makes sense.

TBR

I don't care enough to post these right, but here's the sedan: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-mazda3-on-top-gear-russia/#photo-6010258/

No good pics of it in profile, but the proportions look good to me.

2o6

I'm warming up to it; I prefer the sedan and I think it looks pretty good in this darker color.

12,000 RPM

I don't like the C-pillar. Rear visibility is going to be ass. I am really fond of the interior though.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 03, 2013, 10:11:45 PM
I don't like the C-pillar. Rear visibility is going to be ass. I am really fond of the interior though.

Looks like it shares rear doors with the hatch, which saves on costs.

hotrodalex

Wow, wasn't expecting the sedan to look that good.

MX793

The sedan does look quite good.  I think, much like the mkI 3, that this car is going to be a huge success for Mazda.  Definitely a contender for best-looking car in class.
Needs more Jiggawatts

r0tor

Maybe I shall drive and trade in focus....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on July 04, 2013, 08:00:43 AM
Maybe I shall drive and trade in focus....
You have a Focus? What year/model/transmission? How do you like it?

r0tor

Its wifeys... 2013 SE sedan with the automatic (unshiftable dsg).

Overall it rides and handles great.  Motor is up to the task.  Tranny is great once your moving but a bit cranky when getting going from a stop - would be great with paddleshifters.  Overall quality is pretty good and extremely good for its class.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Good to know. I like the new Focus but heard the DSGs were problematic. Shame there's no paddle shift but that would have really jacked up the price. Could have been interesting on the ST

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 04, 2013, 10:48:13 AM
Good to know. I like the new Focus but heard the DSGs were problematic. Shame there's no paddle shift but that would have really jacked up the price. Could have been interesting on the ST

.....I don't think manual shifting actions add anything to price anymore. They've been standard on pretty much every Hyundai since 2002.....and they're standard on pretty much every GM car now, too.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on July 05, 2013, 10:19:34 PM

.....I don't think manual shifting actions add anything to price anymore. They've been standard on pretty much every Hyundai since 2002.....and they're standard on pretty much every GM car now, too.

Good to see gm start to offer more manuals. I didn't know they started making them available on cars like the malibu/impala/ss sedan.