Growing body of evidence for self driving cars

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 27, 2013, 12:58:34 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

Pretty soon all of the baby boomers will be dead and there will be like 5 old people left at any given time to cause accidents.  But, I would totally dig a self driving car for those days when I really dont feel like driving into work.

FlatBlackCaddy

Old, young, middle aged. Most people don't understand what "conditions" means when talking about driving. It's simple, adjust your driving to meet the conditions. If you can't see ahead of you don't keep going 60.

Northlands

Not knowing how to pull over or turn on the vehicle headlights? Chances are, she wouldn't figure out where the change goes to be able to pay for a bus ride.

All of the computer controlled cars in the world cannot withstand the power of the dumb.  :lol:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

NomisR

Quote from: Northlands on June 27, 2013, 01:26:49 PM
Not knowing how to pull over or turn on the vehicle headlights? Chances are, she wouldn't figure out where the change goes to be able to pay for a bus ride.

All of the computer controlled cars in the world cannot withstand the power of the dumb.  :lol:

Solution.. let the dumb people die...

Northlands

Quote from: NomisR on June 27, 2013, 04:11:33 PM

That would work great if the dumb didn't affect other drivers by plowing into them, because they don't have the mental capacity to stare at the road ahead of them without being distracted by...uh...anything.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on June 27, 2013, 04:11:33 PM

That just makes the dumb people get smarter at doing dumb things.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on June 27, 2013, 06:34:17 PM
AH DON'T KNOW HAO TO USE THUH LAHGHTS
This may not be a problem for you. But in many places in America, this lady might be waiting in the opposite direction left turn lane, holding your life in her brain dead haiyunds

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 27, 2013, 07:29:30 PM
This may not be a problem for you. But in many places in America, this lady might be waiting in the opposite direction left turn lane, holding your life in her brain dead haiyunds

You always assume the next driver you see is going to be an outright idiot.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Assuming you see them at all, what with DRLs and glowing dashboards during the day.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 27, 2013, 07:37:34 PM
You always assume the next driver you see is going to be an outright idiot.

I assume everyone on the road is an idiot to rationalize speeding. There are always herds and gaps in traffic. I like to stay in the gaps