The Ultimate Daily Driver?

Started by MrH, July 01, 2013, 06:23:49 PM

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on July 11, 2013, 12:48:02 PM
Then you flat out told us we were not enthusiasts because we picked something other than a supercar.  A super is absolutely useless for my daily drive.

But wants CTS-V.  TROLOLOLOLO
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on July 11, 2013, 12:51:24 PM

CTS-V wagon sounds like a pretty fun and practical daily driver....
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on July 11, 2013, 12:44:46 PM
The hypocrisy...it's killing me.

You like fun cars, but unfortunately most cars are appliances that get from point A to point B...but you call the LaFerrari boring.

You don't like supercars because you can't touch the capability of them on the street...but you want a CTS-V.
CTS-V is a blast at safer speeds.  For me, a LaFerrari would be boring for driving on public roads because it is designed to be driven as hard as it can go for sustained periods of time at 200 mph.  I could very well be wrong that it`s going to be boring pushing 3 tenths on public roads, but I doubt it.  And I love supercars and hypercars, but I can`t think of a single one that I would choose over an Audi R8 for driving on public roads.  Hell, even Jeremy Clarkson says the F12 is too much for public roads and the LaFerrari is well beyond that.

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on July 11, 2013, 12:51:24 PM
There`s a big difference between a CTS-V and a fucking LaFerrari asshole.

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2013, 12:06:13 PM
You don't get to decide what I or anyone else should value in a daily driver, and I think that's where you're failing to see other viewpoints than yours.  If your daily drive involves taking your three kids to school before a long highway journey work, you probably don't want to do that in a GT3.  If you drive over horrific pockmarked roads, you might want something with a softer, more accommodating suspension.  If you're single and don't care about anything else, maybe you want an Ariel Atom. 

So yes, people picking normal cars are picking them because of something outside of just the driving experience.  And the question is "What is your ideal daily driver?", not "What is your fantasy lottery garage?"  So yes, a 335i is most likely a better daily driver than an Aventador for most people.  I don't get why that's so hard to understand.  People have different priorities than other people.  I drive a sports car everyday.  Drove top down through the rain this morning.  Most people look at me like a lunatic.  But my priorities are just different from theirs.  I don't care to have a big trunk or a car to take a bunch of people out to lunch in.  Other people do.  I don't care much about comfort, clearly.  The Z4 has the most punishing ride of any car I've ever driven, including the Ferrari 430 and Lotus Elise.  Other people do, considering the number of Benzes and Lexuses I see in my parking lot everyday. 

The watch analogy only falls short because you focus on the wrong thing--not to mention that atomic G-Shocks don't receive and atomic signal in several parts of the world and have unremarkable accuracy when not syncing (my G-Shock was less accurate than my manual wind Omega, for example).  It is all about what you value.  If you value accuracy above all else, yes, a cheap quartz or a more expensive thermocompensated quartz watch is the way to go.  If it's mechanical precision, then you're going to want a mechanical watch.  If it's a personal relationship, you're going to want a handwound watch.  If you're a commercial diver, you don't want a 30m WR precious metal minute repeater masterpiece from A. Lange & Sohne.

You need to accept that other people have different perceptions, wants, needs, and values than you.

i am completely accepting that other people have different perceptions, wants, needs, and values.  i am completely accepting that I am often wrong. 

"So yes, people picking normal cars are picking them because of something outside of just the driving experience." ...  Thank you.  Now, I believe you :)

By the way if your manual wind Omega is more accurate than your G-shock, there is something seriously wrong with your G-shock.  That...  I can prove you.  A very good mechanical watch will have a maximum accuracy of 2-3 seconds a day.  A very inexpensive quartz will have an accuracy of < 0.5 seconds per day.  That's just physics.  A jewel mechanical movement cannot match the piezoelectric effect of quartz crystals for accuracy.   

veeman

Quote from: SVT666 on July 11, 2013, 12:48:02 PM
Then you flat out told us we were not enthusiasts because we picked something other than a supercar.  A supercar is absolutely useless for my daily drive.

dude...  you're taking my postings too seriously. 

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2013, 12:46:55 PM
Um, you called it a folly and then say there's no right answer?  So what the fuck is your problem anyway?  That people have different priorities than you do?  How about for the next thread, we'll have "veeman tells you what your ideal daily driver is" and you can be happy with that?

You are really showing an inability to see beyond your own viewpoint.  Why don't you just accept that people are different from you?  Things will go a lot more smoothly that way.

dude...  you are taking my postings way way too seriously.  settle down.

Raza

Quote from: veeman on July 11, 2013, 01:00:28 PM
i am completely accepting that other people have different perceptions, wants, needs, and values.  i am completely accepting that I am often wrong. 

"So yes, people picking normal cars are picking them because of something outside of just the driving experience." ...  Thank you.  Now, I believe you :)

I never said otherwise....We're talking about daily drivers, there are of course other considerations taken than simply the driving experience.  If that weren't the case, no one would ever drive a Camry and Ariel would be the biggest car company in the world.  Daily drivers are all about a compromise between driving enjoyment and practicality.  Daily driving is why the sport sedan and sport wagon exist.  Like I said, if we were playing fantasy garage, I'd have a lot more exciting cars on my list than, say, a 997 GT3 RS.  Although, technically, I could get away with a 997 GT3 RS as my daily driver, since that's way more practical than I need.  But it is a fixed top.  Carrera GT then, I guess.  But they are kind of long.

By the way if your manual wind Omega is more accurate than your G-shock, there is something seriously wrong with your G-shock.  That...  I can prove you.  A very good mechanical watch will have a maximum accuracy of 2-3 seconds a day.  A very inexpensive quartz will have an accuracy of < 0.5 seconds per day.  That's just physics.  A jewel mechanical movement cannot match the piezoelectric effect of quartz crystals for accuracy.

My Omega runs <+1 daily (when fully wound) and my G-Shock hands ran about +2-3 (the digital was more accurate than that, but the analog portion was not; as a matter of fact, my G-Shock was the least accurate quartz watch I've ever owned, even compared to my other non-G-Shock, non-atomic Casio).  Most quartz watches are as accurate as you say, and there are some that are more accurate and some that are less accurate.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

I would totally rock a Lamborghini every day. Probably more comfortable than my current car. :lol:

MrH

I've figured it out.  You know what you guys are?  You're the automotive equivalent of the neck beard who says a girls elbows are too pointy.  I'll try and find the meme once this weekend.  If someone could find it for me and post it, that'd be pretty appreciated :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on July 12, 2013, 07:42:59 AM
I've figured it out.  You know what you guys are?  You're the automotive equivalent of the neck beard who says a girls elbows are too pointy.  I'll try and find the meme once this weekend.  If someone could find it for me and post it, that'd be pretty appreciated :lol:

:facepalm:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on July 12, 2013, 07:42:59 AM
So that makes you the automotive equivalent of the basement dweller that is so grateful for any attention from any girl you would bang the 400 lb behemoth that lives next door?  Makes sense.

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT666 on July 12, 2013, 09:47:01 AM
So that makes you the automotive equivalent of the basement dweller that is so grateful for any attention from any girl you would bang the 400 lb behemoth that lives next door?  Makes sense.

But the basement dweller gets ass. Pointy elbow man is left spanking the monkey.

That's also a shit analogy, H isn't advocating cars that are the equivalent of a "400 lb behemoth."

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 12, 2013, 09:55:09 AM
But the basement dweller gets ass. Pointy elbow man is left spanking the monkey.
Quality > Quantity

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 12, 2013, 09:55:09 AM

That's also a shit analogy, H isn't advocating cars that are the equivalent of a "400 lb behemoth."
He's slamming us because we don't like everything and anything put out by every manufacturer and that we don't want to drive a fucking hypercar as a DD.  It's fucking stupid, and he's acting like a fucking douche.

Raza

They're both shit analogies. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on July 12, 2013, 09:58:04 AM
They're both shit analogies.
Yes, they are.  But he's still being an asshat.

SVT666

MrH

You guys are quick to criticize anything and everything about cars, but yet come up with the most convoluted, asinine, hypocritical rules to justify why your current car of choice is the best thing ever.  I get it, you like your car, every one does.  But to try and come up with such stupid reasons to dismiss everything else is beyond me.

Again, neckbeard dismissing gorgeous women because their elbows are too pointy.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 12, 2013, 09:59:03 AM
H's isn't too far off.

Yeah, it is.  H's is a car interior decorator who has developed an insane superiority complex over supercars and can't accept that some people don't care for them as much as he does. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on July 12, 2013, 10:49:07 AM
You guys are quick to criticize anything and everything about cars, but yet come up with the most convoluted, asinine, hypocritical rules to justify why your current car of choice is the best thing ever.  I get it, you like your car, every one does.  But to try and come up with such stupid reasons to dismiss everything else is beyond me.

Where the fuck are you getting this from?  You're delusional.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on July 12, 2013, 10:49:24 AM
Yeah, it is.  H's is a car interior decorator who has developed an insane superiority complex over supercars and can't accept that some people don't care for them as much as he does.
He needs to go find where ChrisV is hanging out now and be his wing man.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on July 12, 2013, 10:49:07 AM

Again, you're arguing about supercars with two people who have both driven supercars on a track.  Craig and I both have firsthand justification for our opinions on modern supercars.  You refuse to accept that because it doesn't fit with what you believe.  You're arguing about what other people should like.  I mean, go fuck yourself with that shit.  You like what you like and I like what I like, I don't know why my opinions bother you so.  Get over it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

A daily driver gets scratched. It gets shopping carts banged into it. Kids spill shit all over the back seats, and occasionally, it hauls potting soil around.

I don't think I have to explain why I'd rather not do that in an R8 convertible.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2013, 11:33:48 AM
A daily driver gets scratched. It gets shopping carts banged into it. Kids spill shit all over the back seats, and occasionally, it hauls potting soil around.

I don't think I have to explain why I'd rather not do that in an R8 convertible.

You do.  Your preferences are not allowed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2013, 11:33:48 AM

Bullshit.  You have to want to do that.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on July 12, 2013, 10:58:39 AM
Again, you're arguing about supercars with two people who have both driven supercars on a track.  Craig and I both have firsthand justification for our opinions on modern supercars.  You refuse to accept that because it doesn't fit with what you believe.  You're arguing about what other people should like.  I mean, go fuck yourself with that shit.  You like what you like and I like what I like, I don't know why my opinions bother you so.  Get over it.

I couldn't care less what you guys actually like.  I just enjoy poking holes in this little glass house of rules you use to justify your opinion. :huh:

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on July 12, 2013, 12:45:11 PM
I couldn't care less what you guys actually like.  I just enjoy poking holes in this little glass house of rules you use to justify your opinion. :huh:

You can't poke holes in glass, you're mixing your metaphors.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on July 12, 2013, 12:45:11 PM
You haven't poked any holes.  That's what makes this entire exchange and declaration of victory by you so fucking stupid.