Best convertibles of all time?

Started by Byteme, July 08, 2013, 03:08:44 PM

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2013, 09:38:41 AM
If it does and I can get over the slow top, I will get one when they depreciate down to a comfortable price.  If not, it's E85 Z4s for life.

What? Why would you ever do that, dude?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 11, 2013, 12:50:57 PM
What? Why would you ever do that, dude?

Which part?  Buying the F-Type or not?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2013, 12:52:09 PM
Which part?  Buying the F-Type or not?

E85 Z4 4 lyfe

There are definitely more interesting roadsters out there, as cool as the Z4 is.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 11, 2013, 02:11:53 PM
E85 Z4 4 lyfe

There are definitely more interesting roadsters out there, as cool as the Z4 is.

+1

I wouldn't want to stick to only one car repeatedly forever.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 11, 2013, 02:11:53 PM
E85 Z4 4 lyfe

If I find anything better, I'll go for it.  But I think I'll replace this with a 3.0si or an M roadster.  Nothing new out there right now does it for me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on July 11, 2013, 02:14:14 PM
+1

I wouldn't want to stick to only one car repeatedly forever.

I'd have a second car as well.  That would change up.  Though if I were to choose a two car garage that would last a lifetime, GTI/Golf R and Z4 wouldn't be a bad choice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2013, 02:31:04 PM
I'd have a second car as well.  That would change up.  Though if I were to choose a two car garage that would last a lifetime, GTI/Golf R and Z4 wouldn't be a bad choice.

No offense, but that sounds slightly boring.

Then again, I like change. I don't think I'd like to hang on to one particular car for any length of time (except for my Miata, because of its sentimental value since it was a present from my parents).

I'd probably either keep buying and trying different cars, or just have an ever expanding garage if I was baller enough.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Somebody just pulled into work with a second gen Viper convertible... With airbrushed flames and a dolphin scene on the hood. This might qualify. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on July 11, 2013, 02:57:49 PM

Then again, I like change. I don't think I'd like to hang on to one particular car for any length of time (except for my Miata, because of its sentimental value since it was a present from my parents).

I'd probably either keep buying and trying different cars, or just have an ever expanding garage if I was baller enough.

Yeah, it does sound kind of boring.  I see myself keeping an E85 around, but getting various different daily drivers, as well as eventually a classic 911.   

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2013, 03:16:26 PM
Yeah, it does sound kind of boring.  I see myself keeping an E85 around, but getting various different daily drivers, as well as eventually a classic 911.
I see myself getting a mildly modified Mustang GT or a Boss 302 and keeping that for life and just changing DD's every 5 or 6 years.  My wife wants a Miata or Z4.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on July 11, 2013, 02:57:49 PM

Meh. I am OK w/sticking to one thing. I would rather spend the effort making 1 car exactly how I want it than shuffle through trying to find something. I def plan to make my next bike (SV650) a keeper... but I am also going to tweak the shit out of it. Cars I could kind of take or leave... but based on the trajectory of the industry I doubt they will come up with something good for me in my price range better than a 6 banger M3. Hard to beat with a good suspension, an exhaust, and in the case of the E46 the CSL IM.

I want Raza to get back into a Boxster S.

Quote from: MrH on July 11, 2013, 08:33:41 AM
:lol:
You laugh, but don't see the strangeness in a 2 seat car on a brand new bespoke platform weighing more than a 5 passenger sedan that costs 1/3-1/4th as much... :huh: No matter how much you try to dress it up that is... strange. That heft is part of why Raza is in the Z4 and not a 350Z
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 11, 2013, 03:52:25 PM
I want Raza to get back into a Boxster S.

Why the Boxster?

That heft is part of why Raza is in the Z4 and not a 350Z

That is true.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Northlands

Mmmm... TVR Griffith 500.....  mmarrglhargh...

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2013, 04:01:59 PM
Why the Boxster?
Because it is the best affordable convertible and I associate Boxsters with you. The Z4 is good and probably cheaper than the Boxster. But even still, a used Boxster is a hell of a lot of car for the money.

hotrodalex

F-types are amazing. One of the best looking new cars, along with the Ferrari F12. And it sounds glorious.

veeman

Eh... for life?

There's a lot of automotive change between 1950 - 1980.  And a lot of automotive change between 1980 - 2010.  Assuming many of us will still be driving 30 years from now, the current convertible du jour will most likely pale in comparison to what's du jour in 2043. 

Assuming the government doesn't take away the privilege of driving.  That's a big assumption.

12,000 RPM

Im not so sure about that veeman. There is a bigger gulf between cars from 1950 to 1980 than there are between cars from 1980 to now. And regulations are only growing more and more restrictive, further limiting car design. And manufacturers aren't really big on taking huge risks- many times a new model will just be the old one with a new exterior/interior and some chassis tweaks. Barring the widespread adoption of self-driving cars I don't see things changing much from now, or at least getting any better.

Raza

Come along everyone, get on board for the 5,000 pound, 10 foot tall subcompact for $50,000, coming to a showroom near you fall 2018. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 12, 2013, 09:11:23 AM
Im not so sure about that veeman. There is a bigger gulf between cars from 1950 to 1980 than there are between cars from 1980 to now. And regulations are only growing more and more restrictive, further limiting car design. And manufacturers aren't really big on taking huge risks- many times a new model will just be the old one with a new exterior/interior and some chassis tweaks. Barring the widespread adoption of self-driving cars I don't see things changing much from now, or at least getting any better.

I think there will be a big gulf.  Looking at the tesla model S, which is just in its infancy, imagine 30 years from now.  I think sports cars will be less about total horsepower and more about stopping on a dime and reflexes and agility, formula 1 style.  The supercars of 1980 can get whipped by mainstreamers of today.  Since 1980 there has been massive advancement in tires, transmissions (clutchless manuals now the norm on many sportscars), launch control, stability control, reliability, etc. etc.  A current mazdaspeed 3 will easily destroy early 80s ferraris, lambos, porsches, etc.

they may fortunately and unfortunately take the driver out of the equation completely however, but, then this forum would cease to exist.

12,000 RPM

As long as there are people on welfare CS will have traffic.

I am not sure the huge strides in development will continue. The advances made over the 80s and 90s were fueled by a lot of, honestly, stupid money (signaled by the crash in Japan and the huge pullback by Germany in the late 90s). Most change now, at the mainstream level at least, is fueled by regulatory changes and response to competition. Many of the huge drivers of innovation then are conservative as hell now. Look at how Honda, the inventors of VTEC and the folks who put double wishbone suspensions in economy cars, operate today. They went from leading technologically to being late adopters, letting their competitors flesh out the issues with new technologies before adopting them.

Then on the sports car side theres a few issues... but the big 2 are tires and driver ability. Street tires seem to have hit a limit of ~1g of grip in all directions. To that end no real progress has been made for the last 30 or so years. Just the means of getting the cars to utilize them best. Now with more rigid chassis & computer aided suspension design, as well as ABS and launch control, cars can make the most of the tires. But rubber is rubber. And I've already talked ad nauseum about driver ability. We've transitioned from demanding engagement to deciding how much engagement we can handle. Joe Sixpack in an F1 car on the street is a disaster waiting to happen... though I guess as long as there is a market for it it will happen  :facepalm: :hammerhead:

I don't know if more ability will be the big developments. We already have more than enough and most people don't care about that anyway. I see the big pushes being in refinement, safety, efficiency and range of ability. An MS3 can spank an old 911, but it is also more practical, easier + cheaper to maintain, more fuel efficient and less punishing to drive/ride in. Those attributes are where cars are headed.

Raza

Quote from: veeman on July 12, 2013, 10:02:08 AM
I think there will be a big gulf.  Looking at the tesla model S, which is just in its infancy, imagine 30 years from now.  I think sports cars will be less about total horsepower and more about stopping on a dime and reflexes and agility, formula 1 style.  The supercars of 1980 can get whipped by mainstreamers of today.  Since 1980 there has been massive advancement in tires, transmissions (clutchless manuals now the norm on many sportscars), launch control, stability control, reliability, etc. etc.  A current mazdaspeed 3 will easily destroy early 80s ferraris, lambos, porsches, etc.

they may fortunately and unfortunately take the driver out of the equation completely however, but, then this forum would cease to exist.

Tesla S isn't that new.  My first car was all electric.  It didn't have the range or speed of a Tesla, but it was more than enough for my needs at the time.

As for the Mazdaspeed3...well, what would you rather have to drive in for pleasure?  An MS3 or a 911SC?  I know my answer.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 11, 2013, 07:18:11 PM
Because it is the best affordable convertible and I associate Boxsters with you. The Z4 is good and probably cheaper than the Boxster. But even still, a used Boxster is a hell of a lot of car for the money.

My sister just bought a used Z4; pretty nice car.

My wife and I are in the market for a 2003-2006 Jaguar XK8. Why those years?  1997-2000 had the Nikesil (sp?) block which is usually a problem along with crap timing chain tensioners.  The 2001-2002 cars had a better block and tensioners but still had the 4.0 engine and a 5 speed automatic.  2003-2006 still had the to-die-for body style but with a new 4.2 engine and a ZF 6 speed automatic.  The problem is finding one in a color we want (red, black,blue or maroon)  Seems like 3/4 of those made were boring-assed silver or white. Also has to be a whitish interior and low miles.

When we find one the Miata is history.

12,000 RPM

You're gonna be searching for a while I think. I didn't appreciate the NYC car market until I left. I want an E36 coupe or sedan with the 2.8 engine and 5 speed transmission. There are like 1-2 for sale at a time. There's a guy in my complex with pretty much the car I want... I might just see what he wants for it.

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 12, 2013, 03:27:02 PM
You're gonna be searching for a while I think. I didn't appreciate the NYC car market until I left. I want an E36 coupe or sedan with the 2.8 engine and 5 speed transmission. There are like 1-2 for sale at a time. There's a guy in my complex with pretty much the car I want... I might just see what he wants for it.
I'm willing to travel 1000 miles to get one.

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 08, 2013, 03:44:14 PM
I wonder why they picked the Pagoda SL over the early-60's roadsters (the one that looked like the Gullwing)

Holy crap, that is pure sex!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: MiataJohn on July 08, 2013, 03:08:44 PM
I ran across this on CNBC today

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100862926/page/1

Nothing I can disagree with, but at the end, page 12 of 13 you can see what each of the five designers feel are the best.

I really love the '57 Vette.  I have a think for Fords from that era.  I also like the T-Bird from that era and even the Fairlane (the first family car that I can remember).

Interesting that the '65 Stang didn't make it onto the list.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

Quote from: MiataJohn on July 12, 2013, 06:24:39 PM
Thanks, but I don't really want an XKR nor will I buy a car on ebay.  In fact I haven't bought much of anything on ebay in years.

Why the aversion to eBay?  While I didn't buy my car on eBay, I found it through an eBay listing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i