Mitsubishi Eclipse Ralliart Concept

Started by Raghavan, November 11, 2005, 09:35:49 AM

Raghavan

Source: Mitsubishi

Ralliart is the motorsports arm of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation. Worldwide, Ralliart vehicles feature enhanced performance, specialty equipment and sporty styling elements that include more powerful engines, sport-tuned suspensions as well as special fascia and styling cues. The best-selling import coupe for the past 15 years, Eclipse was redesigned for 2006 -and Mitsubishi design engineers wasted no time giving Eclipse the Ralliart treatment.

"To be considered Ralliart, a vehicle must offer improved

engine performance and handling, sportier styling, interior enhancements and bold paint," explained Dan Sims, general manager of MMNA's design center. "The Eclipse Ralliart concept passes that test with flying colors."

Special attention was paid to increasing horsepower and torque, adding all-wheel drive capability for improved power in a variety of driving conditions while minimizing weight. To boost horsepower to an estimated 400 hp, a turbocharged 4G63 engine was borrowed from the Lancer Evolution and supplemented with a custom air intake and other HKS performance parts. The concept Eclipse's rally prowess is enhanced with the all-wheel drive system currently available on the Endeavor and Lancer Evolution as well as a six-speed manual transmission. Lightweight carbon fiber was used extensively in the roof, hood, fascias and front fenders.

The custom exterior is enhanced by Hot Red Mica paint, specially formulated by PPG for this concept. The Eclipse Ralliart rides on 20-inch high-performance carbon fiber wheels with AVS Sport Yokohama tires. Interior enhancements include Recaro performance seats trimmed with leather and Alcanterra suede, four-point restraints, racing gauges and a Rockford Fosgate premium sound system.

General Information
Price: Concept Car
Miles Per Gallon: --/-- mpg
Curb Weight: ---- lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/AWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual

Engine
Type: Turbocharged Inline-4
Displacement: 1998 cc
Horsepower: 400 bhp @ ---- rpm
Torque: --- lb-ft @ ---- rpm
Redline: ---- rpm

Performance
0-60 mph: -.- sec
0-100 mph: --.- sec
Quarter Mile: --.- sec @ --- mph
Skidpad: .--g
Top Speed: --- mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: --- ft
Slalom Speed: --.- mph

Raghavan

Looks great, imo. Plus it has 4WD, but i'm sure that and the 4G63 won't make it into production. At the very most, maybe a detuned 4G63 with maybe 300 hp.

mazda6er

Wow, this car actually makes me nauseous.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

QuoteWow, this car actually makes me nauseous.
Too ricey?

BMWDave

Its very much ricey, and it looks like a giant tub of goo...

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteIts very much ricey, and it looks like a giant tub of goo...
But at least it has the power to go fast, unlikereal rice cars.

MX793

It'll likely never see production....

This is the first car with the Eclipse name made since the 2nd generation DSM Eclipse that I'd consider worthy of its name.  Simply awesome.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Run Away

Wow, that thing looks like a Mini-Skyline.

I really like car, my only dislikes are the weight and the mufflers...

I'd buy one.

Raghavan

QuoteWow, that thing looks like a Mini-Skyline.

I really like car, my only dislikes are the weight and the mufflers...

I'd buy one.
They say that they've taken out as much weight as possible.

SJ_GTI

The style isn't my cup of tea, but its cohesive and overall I think it looks pretty good.

The mechanical upgrades are fantastic. If Mitsu does a real ralliart version I hope for Eclipse fan's sake that they keep the AWD, 6MT, and Turbo engine.

Would probably cost as much as, or more than, the Evo though.

Fire It Up

It looks a lot better than the ordinary Eclipse, because the add ons break up the giant blob look. The only thing they should have done is a big decklid spoiler instead of a wing.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Run Away

I quite like the rear spoiler.

In some ways, I see at as what the Tiburon should look like, odly enough.
Especially the rear.

Raza

This car is immeasureably uglier than the production ugly car as is.  It makes the Aztek look like a work of art.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GMPenguin

I think it's pretty cool.  I'm not a big fan of the fronts, but what they have done to it physically isn't bad, I think if they were to actually make it, though, then they should tone it down a bit.  It would probably be insanely fast for such a car, too.

Rag, you should put links to the site that you got articles from, so they can actually get credit. :)

footoflead

QuoteI quite like the rear spoiler.

In some ways, I see at as what the Tiburon should look like, odly enough.
Especially the rear.
I dont like the spoiler to much...it looks like it might make a pretty good track car...it would be intersesting to see how it turns out if it makes production
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

A Civic wannabe with 400 HP.  Grand.  This will never get to production...come on...a 400 HP Eclipse?  

TBR

What makes you think this car is a Civic wannabe? It has 400hp (I don't know that it is even possible to get that much out of a Civic and it still run on street gas and be street legal) and AWD. This car is no more of a wannabe Civic than the Evo or STI are.

MX793

What rear spoiler is everybody talking about?  

I only see a wing  :P  
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Although the most recognizable spoiler is the wing spoiler, there are actually many different types of spoilers.

* A wing spoiler is an airfoil is suspended above the body of the vehicle.
   * A lid spoiler (commonly trunk lid spoiler, lip spoiler, or boot lid spoiler) is often a ridge of plastic or metal attached directly to the top of the trunk lid.
   * A roof spoiler is a small ridge of plastic or metal attached to the very back of the roof, usually just above the rear window.
   * A splitter is a spoiler attached to the front bumper, very close to the road surface, sometimes known as a "front spoiler" or on stock or stock-appearing cars as an "air dam."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Secret Chimp

This car just looks weird. It looks like it's ready to be humped or something.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SaltyDog

Come on guys, this is a brutal, sensational machine.  The spoiler can be removed and the rest of the body is fairly clean.  You guys are car snobs.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

giant_mtb

QuoteWhat makes you think this car is a Civic wannabe? It has 400hp (I don't know that it is even possible to get that much out of a Civic and it still run on street gas and be street legal) and AWD. This car is no more of a wannabe Civic than the Evo or STI are.
I meant Civic wannabe in the way it looks.  

TBR

The only bit on this car that could even remotely be called rice is the wing.

MX793

QuoteAlthough the most recognizable spoiler is the wing spoiler, there are actually many different types of spoilers.

* A wing spoiler is an airfoil is suspended above the body of the vehicle.
   * A lid spoiler (commonly trunk lid spoiler, lip spoiler, or boot lid spoiler) is often a ridge of plastic or metal attached directly to the top of the trunk lid.
   * A roof spoiler is a small ridge of plastic or metal attached to the very back of the roof, usually just above the rear window.
   * A splitter is a spoiler attached to the front bumper, very close to the road surface, sometimes known as a "front spoiler" or on stock or stock-appearing cars as an "air dam."
By functional definition, a spoiler is an aerodynamic device that "spoils" airflow and thus reduces lift generation.  These would be the little lips that you see on car roofs or on the trunk lid.  Sometimes these devices are used on aircraft in place of ailerons.  By reducing the lift on one wing using a spoiler, you induce roll in the aircraft.  A spoiler does not generate any lift/downforce itself, it just reduces the generation of any aerodynamic forces perpendicular to the airflow.

A wing, through the use of an airfoil shape, actually generates lift (which may be positive or negative depending on the application).  Wings require flow both over and under the wing body for them to work properly.  If flow is detached from either side, the wing enters a state of "stall" and no long works effectively at all.
Needs more Jiggawatts

mazda6er

QuoteThe only bit on this car that could even remotely be called rice is the wing.
Right, because the paint job, air dam, taillights, "integrated"/wtf exhaust, gold rims and interior decor are straight out of Better Homes and Gardens.  :rolleyes:

Even if you want to argue that some of those pieces are "functional", that still leaves the paint job, taillights, exhaust appearance, gold rims, and interior trim crap.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

What is ricey about the interior? Or the front air dam for that matter? I will agree the paint job is a little overdone, but not quite rice imho.

mazda6er

Air dam - You could drive an Aveo through it. The radiator is really cute. (Yes, I'm aware that's quasi-functional.) The side "pocket" things to either side of the vent aren't quite normal.

Interior - Shift knob, race seats (yeah, functional but what did they save, like 300 lbs? :o wow.) Arguably extraneous gauges.

I, mean it's not the riciest rice of all or anything, but you won't see these things on your average Buick anytime soon either. That is, unless a ricer gets to it.
--Mark

TBR

QuoteAir dam - You could drive an Aveo through it. The radiator is really cute. (Yes, I'm aware that's quasi-functional.) The side "pocket" things to either side of the vent aren't quite normal.

Interior - Shift knob, race seats (yeah, functional but what did they save, like 300 lbs? :o wow.) Arguably extraneous gauges.

I, mean it's not the riciest rice of all or anything, but you won't see these things on your average Buick anytime soon either. That is, unless a ricer gets to it.
The vents are functional. The seats likely save weight and offer more support. As far as the gauges go, turboed cars need boost and exhaust temp read outs.

Everything you listed serves a purpose and therefore isn't rice.

mazda6er

QuoteAir dam - You could drive an Aveo through it. The radiator is really cute. (Yes, I'm aware that's quasi-functional.) The side "pocket" things to either side of the vent aren't quite normal.

The vents are functional. The seats likely save weight and offer more support. As far as the gauges go, turboed cars need boost and exhaust temp read outs.

Everything you listed serves a purpose and therefore isn't rice.
Well, you did pick the weakest points of my argument  :angry: , and the ones which I specifically stated were functional.  

QuoteEven if you want to argue that some of those pieces are "functional", that still leaves the paint job, taillights, exhaust appearance, gold rims, and interior trim crap.

Notice how I left out the air dam, and specified interior trim.

You're right though, most of those two are functional (as I said too), but I was just answering you as to what I thought was wrong, ugly, or a bit overdone with them.
--Mark