TDI vs gas 6cyl in the Q5

Started by BENZ BOY15, July 13, 2013, 01:21:53 PM

Laconian

Ummmmm... what the fuck.

I wouldn't want to work with people that are so shallow.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on July 14, 2013, 01:02:18 PM
Ummmmm... what the fuck.

That is a complete joke. Sometimes my dad takes the old Subaru to work:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 14, 2013, 01:03:50 PM
That is a complete joke. Sometimes my dad takes the old Subaru to work:

:lol: OK...

I bet Dave's neighbors are fretting over their property values because Dave's car is a generation old.

BENZ BOY15

Dave's place is one of the nicer homes in the neighborhood. He's fine in the snob scale.

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on July 14, 2013, 01:05:57 PM
:lol: OK...

I bet Dave's neighbors are fretting over their property values because Dave's car is a generation old.

Has nothing to do with anything, but I just found this picture from when I used to use it (11th grade until the end of my freshman year of college):

Really is a great car. My parents definitely got their money's worth.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

BENZ BOY15

Subarus are cool.

And one thing I noticed is that the windows go up and down really quickly.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 14, 2013, 08:53:34 AM

And Soup - I love the smell of gas.

When I was 10 and 11, my dad owned a small electrical contracting company that did a lot of underground work: which generally meant diesel trenching equipment. On cold days when I was with him on the weekends, while he was getting coffee in the trailer and BSing about the work to be done to day ( or more likely about last night's shenanigans), he'd have me get everything started for the workers.

These old, uncorked diesels blew unburnt fuel into the air when they started cold. It would actually make your eyes water, and the smell would get into your clothes and stay there through several washings. Drove my mother nuts.

But, to this day, diesel fuel to me smelkls like happiness and childhood, occupying the saem place in my brain as the smell of the coffee my dad used to drink that was so black and strong it could probably be used as a fuel itself.

But, I still don't get any on my hands when I fill up.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on July 14, 2013, 01:02:18 PM
Ummmmm... what the fuck.

Yeah, that's seriously screwed up.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

BENZ BOY15

It happened to my dad, but when he was driving a beat up, rusted 1986 accord. And edit #2: they are going to drive the TDI  just to check out how it drives.

Looks like the 6cyl unless the diesel is somehow a lot better. They weren't too amped on the 4cyl because of the road noise and the engine wasn't that powerful, even for them

They'll get something and if it makes them happy, cool be aise that's ths point.

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on July 14, 2013, 08:56:57 AM
They stopped making the Excursion like 8 or 9 years ago.

I know. :lol:

I just like using it in references...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Gas is easier to find and likely quieter.  I would think she'd go for that over the diesel just on noise. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Raza  on July 15, 2013, 08:16:11 AM
Gas is easier to find and likely quieter.  I would think she'd go for that over the diesel just on noise. 

Well I'm pretty sure they would have gone for the 2.0T but the sound inside the car (ESP the backseat) is noticeably louder than the 3.0T. They weren't digging it too much.

I doubt the diesel is going to be annoyingly loud, but we'll see in a couple days when they come in. The 428 lb ft of torque should be interesting to experience.

But as for the scarcity of diesel gas stations, that doesn't seem to be an issue. The lady pointed out the liquid you have to put in the engine, but that wasn't a deal killer. They're still somewhat interested in the diesel.

However, the 3.0T is a very nice engine and I'm sure it's okay for any light towing that might be done.

Raza

The 3.0T is a sweet engine.  Decent gas mileage and lots of power anywhere in the band.  In my car, if you get caught with the revs too low, you're not going anywhere.  The 3.0T always feels like a rocket. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Raza  on July 15, 2013, 09:17:22 AM
The 3.0T is a sweet engine.  Decent gas mileage and lots of power anywhere in the band.  In my car, if you get caught with the revs too low, you're not going anywhere.  The 3.0T always feels like a rocket. 

Yeah, it was pretty quick & it sounded much better than the 4cyl. And again, it was much more quiet/refined inside. I can see my Mom getting a ticket; she was driving it pretty fast.:lol: My Dad on the other hand was driving very slow...might as well get a 2 cyl.

Char

Well, your mother's taste aside - long term cost are probably in favor of anything Japanese instead of a tarted up VW Golf. But I mean, it has four rings and a smelly desiel engine (you know, the one option People in US don't give a fuck about) so according to this forum, it must be a good buy.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Quote from: Char on July 15, 2013, 01:02:05 PM
Well, your mother's taste aside - long term cost are probably in favor of anything Japanese instead of a tarted up VW Golf. But I mean, it has four rings and a smelly desiel engine (you know, the one option People in US don't give a fuck about) so according to this forum, it must be a good buy.

If the Q5 is a tarted up Golf, then the RX is a Camry.

Q5 is related to the A4, the engine isn't transverse like Golf's.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 13, 2013, 06:19:59 PM
Diesel is fine for a DD and the Benzies are hardly hard pressed for money. TDI price premium makes more sense than 3.0T for BENZMOM; I dont think her ego is as tied to stoplight drags as some folks. TDI is prob better equipped from base too to minimize losses from different option packages + low volume.

How is the TDI better? The TDI will offer a lesser driving experience (some stink, some clatter, some buzziness, and it will be slower), the TDI will cost more to purchase, and the TDI mpg advantage will be offset by higher maintenance and repair costs + purchase price premium.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: GoCougs on July 15, 2013, 01:16:29 PM
How is the TDI better? The TDI will offer a lesser driving experience (some stink, some clatter, some buzziness, and it will be slower), the TDI will cost more to purchase, and the TDI mpg advantage will be offset by higher maintenance and repair costs + purchase price premium.

Most likely they'll go with the 3.0T. It's just that they want to try all of the models before deciding...the 2.0T appears to be out, so it's between those two.

It doesn't hurt to see how it drives & it's not like they're coming in next month; they should be at the dealer by Thursday or Friday.

There is a chance that they'll like it better, although not likely enough to not get the 3.0. There was nothing really wrong with that car.

Laconian

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Laconian on July 15, 2013, 01:22:36 PM
BENZ MOM55 :lol:

Actually BENZ MOM57. :mask: :lol:

She'd slap me if I showed her that...they're getting old.

CALL_911

Tell your mom to stop being a cheap fuck and just get an X5 M

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 15, 2013, 01:27:20 PM
Tell your mom to stop being a cheap fuck and just get an X5 M

Or a S8. LOL.

Not sure how they feel about BMWs. She drove a 335i a while back and really liked it; however, that was a while ago. I think they have their sights set on the Q5. It's CR approved (won't buy anything that isn't), it's pretty understated & it has the right combo of features. It's comfortable, has enough room for groceries & her bike, good visibility (rear camera is a big plus), the interior is nice & well designed. The 3.0T is a very nice engine & the ride is great. Turning radius is a big plus too. Good for road trips to central Cali which we do now semi regularly. Decent enough light off road skills, 4WD & can tow crap if you want.

I dunno, it's just a great car overall.

I'll suggest the BMW, but I think she's about had it looking at cars & probably just wants to get one and be done with the process. She is going to check out the MDX, but she said it'd have to be damn spectacular for her to switch.

Raza

Have you thought about a 5GT?  I saw one the other day and I can't get it out of my head.  It haunts my dreams.  Turns every time I close my eyes into a nightmare.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Raza  on July 15, 2013, 01:38:47 PM
Have you thought about a 5GT?  I saw one the other day and I can't get it out of my head.  It haunts my dreams.  Turns every time I close my eyes into a nightmare.

Yeah, no thanks.

:lol:

We'll see about the X5, but is there any real advantage?

GoCougs

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on July 15, 2013, 01:21:22 PM
Most likely they'll go with the 3.0T. It's just that they want to try all of the models before deciding...the 2.0T appears to be out, so it's between those two.

It doesn't hurt to see how it drives & it's not like they're coming in next month; they should be at the dealer by Thursday or Friday.

There is a chance that they'll like it better, although not likely enough to not get the 3.0. There was nothing really wrong with that car.

I'm gonna bet that beyond the buzz and noise she's going to notice (and not like) the throttle lag that all diesels inherently have. Also, a lot of people (girls esp. IME) don't like the dirty, stinky and stain-inducing nature of diesel fuel - from soot on the bumper to stains around the gas cap to stains on and around the pump at the gas station to that it is much harder to remove if you get it on your shoes or clothes (and sometimes the stains are permanent).

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on July 15, 2013, 01:14:56 PM
If the Q5 is a tarted up Golf, then the RX is a Camry.

Q5 is related to the A4, the engine isn't transverse like Golf's.
Yeah, but at least the Camry isn't a piece of unreliable shit. Keeping it long term, have fun with that carbon build up, shitty cooling system and notorious VW electrical problems.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: GoCougs on July 15, 2013, 01:56:49 PM
I'm gonna bet that beyond the buzz and noise she's going to notice (and not like) the throttle lag that all diesels inherently have. Also, a lot of people (girls esp. IME) don't like the dirty, stinky and stain-inducing nature of diesel fuel - from soot on the bumper to stains around the gas cap to stains on and around the pump at the gas station to that it is much harder to remove if you get it on your shoes or clothes (and sometimes the stains are permanent).

I can't imagine Audi's diesel is like those old Mercedes or whatever make a ton of noise/smell. We'll see but the 3.0 seems to be fine...if everything goes well & they can find one they like, she should get it sometime in the next week.

GoCougs

Make no mistake though, the newest and most refined of diesels today are notably noisier, stinkier, dirtier and rougher than the cheapest of modern gasoline engines.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 15, 2013, 01:56:49 PM
What modern diesel cars have you driven?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs