REAL bad ideas: Deutchland Style!!!

Started by 12,000 RPM, July 14, 2013, 09:03:18 AM

Which of these 12 cylinder depreciation black holes would you regret commiting to?

BMW 850 CSi (~15-20K)
MB CL600 BI-KOMPRESSOR (~13K)
MB SL600 BI-KOMPRESSOR (~25K)
VW Phaeton W12 (~10K!!!!)

12,000 RPM

Now Soup I like the bad idea idea but a 914/2002 are very small commitments in the context of how really bad a German used car purchase can be. Those were some pretty cheap + simple cars. The cars of this list shot for the moon and missed majorly... and absolutely decimated anyone who had the gall to purchase (not lease) them.

Here are some photos of them... 1 ideal, one in its realistic current average context

BMW 850CSi

^^^Ideal

^^^REAL

MB CL600 BI KOMPRESSOR

^^^Ideal

^^^MAD REAL

MB SL600 BI KOMPRESSOR

^^^Ideal

^^^"Nigga these REAL diamonds, we shinin"

VW Phaeton W12

^^^Ideal
QuoteI had my first electronic/electrical problem within 1.5 hours of leaving the dealership on my way back to Houston. Since then it has been constant. The Phaeton had a 5 yr / 50k warranty through 4 April 2009, I was having so many electronic problems that we held back driving it to make the mileage last as long as the 5 year warranty. It is now 7 August 2009, 4 months after the warranty expired. The car has 51,142 miles on it and is basically undriveable unless I take her in to the dealer monthly to have the system "reset". IF it is not driven daily, then the computer system starts turning "systems" off. At the present time, it will actually turn itself off while I am driving down the road, unbelieveably dangerous. Most of the time it simply turns itself off at a stoplight, it "waits" 3 - 4 minutes then decides to let us proceed on. We have driven it less than 1,200 miles since March 2009, about 210 miles per month, that is NOTHING in Houston, Texas.
We bought our 2004 Phaeton in Dec 2006, it had 17,400 miles on it.
My partial list of problems with our 2004 Phaeton W12 is below, ALL maintenance and / or repairs have been done at a Certified VW dealer:
- trunk will not open with remote, 'repaired and/or replaced' components - 4 times
- system fault reset, at least 4 times
- turns itself off, 3 times, not including present situation, which makes 4 times.
- alarm does not work, including now ... third time.
- transmission fluid pan drips, has been 'repaired' twice, is leaking again now for third time
- rear engine seal leaks, has been 'repaired' twice, is leaking again now for the third time
- rear battery has been replaced twice, will not hold charge now, needs to be replaced again now ... third time
- the car MUST be driven at a minimum every other day, for at least 20 miles, otherwise it starts turning off electronic systems in the car
- 'flat tire' light is consistently coming on, the valve antennas have been replaced once. I got it to go off now, by over inflating the tires.
Our Phaeton has been IN the VW shop for at least 3.5 months of the 32 months that we have owned her, two of the times were for a month each time.
Because VW sold so few here in the USA, they do not have technicians (mechanics) who are capable of working on the Phaeton, especially now that they have not been sold here for several years.
When it decides that it wants to go, it is a GREAT car, we love it, but most of the time it doesn't want to go, she is a lot like a cat, when she wants to be stroked, GREAT, when she doesn't want to be stroked ..... LOOK OUT!
^^^SHIT GETS REAL!!!!

Which one of these impulse machines would you buy to only regret owning later?

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CALL_911

850, no question. I never cared for that CL, despite how fast it was. I'm a fan of both the SL and Phaeton, but I'd take the 8.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Vinsanity

I won't lie; I actually do like that silver Benz coupe :mask:

3.0L V6

Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes CL600

Laconian

Nikasil linings? How much life does it have left? :banghead:

I'd take the SL.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

mzziaz

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 14, 2013, 09:06:20 AM
850, no question. I never cared for that CL, despite how fast it was. I'm a fan of both the SL and Phaeton, but I'd take the 8.

My thoughts, exactly.
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

IIRC the V12 on the 8-series was like a twinned I6, with independent cooperating ECUs and everything.

That just sounds like a recipe for awful.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on July 14, 2013, 01:06:55 PM
IIRC the V12 on the 8-series was like a twinned I6, with independent cooperating ECUs and everything.

That just sounds like a recipe for awful.

It was still a single engine (single crankshaft).  From an engine management standpoint, I'm not sure 2 ECUs (one for each bank of 6 cylinders) is really any worse, or any more complex, than one ECU controlling all 12.  The reality is, cylinder 1 doesn't really care what cylinders 2-12 are doing and doesn't need to be operated in concert with them.  Everything that an individual cylinder cares about (cam timing, ignition timing, fuel injection timing) is based on the crank position.  Since each bank likely had its own dedicated intake and exhaust MAF and O2 sensors, each bank could easily be managed by a separate ECU.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

The point behind the bad ideas threads was that they were something that I might personally might be tempted to actually follow through on, even though I know there's a good chance it'd end up a garage ornament.

Anyways: I'd go for the 850 myself, no question. Far cooler than the other two, and being older likely to avoid a lot of the electronic difficulties the other two would encounter.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

If the circumstances were right I would try the 850 too. One of my dad's friends is a pilot who imported one to Ghana :wtf: But since then I have always had a soft spot for them.

Raza

850 without a doubt.  But, a CL just seems so black guy, so in your position.....
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

The only boat I want is one that goes in the water. Phaeton is a cruise ship. CL is a yacht. SL is a speedboat. 850 is the closest thing to a driver's car on this list.

Besides, black guy + CL on Rent A Rim 22s is so obvious. I like the surprise factor.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 15, 2013, 12:29:59 PM
The only boat I want is one that goes in the water. Phaeton is a cruise ship. CL is a yacht. SL is a speedboat. 850 is the closest thing to a driver's car on this list.

Besides, black guy + CL on Rent A Rim 22s is so obvious. I like the surprise factor.

Good on you for bucking the stereotype.  Did you legally change your name to David yet?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

SLs are cool. I love the dark red leather interiors too.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on July 15, 2013, 12:59:27 PM
SLs are cool. I love the dark red leather interiors too.

I do like SLs.  But I'd rather have a real sports car (like a Z4) or a real cruiser (like an 80s SL).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Secret Chimp

I like the idea of the 8-series better, but it seems like the CL would be more mechanically robust despite being boosted to fuck-all.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

J86

Lebowski

I actually liked the Phaeton, but the 850 is my fav on this list by far.

Never been a big SL fan, and really don't like the CL.

Onslaught

BMW. It's probably one of the best looking BMW's ever made.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on July 15, 2013, 12:38:17 PM
Good on you for bucking the stereotype.  Did you legally change your name to David yet?
Naw. I am going to put out a feeler resume though.