Mallet Pontiac Solstice

Started by Raghavan, November 11, 2005, 11:34:40 AM

Raghavan

Here comes one of the first major aftermarket upgrades for Pontiac's Solstice.  This is Mallet's take on the roadster- it looks like its just a wheel/tire upgrade... until you open the hood.

Apparently he was able to stuff an LS2 V-8 under the hood of the Solstice, giving this little car 400-hp and 400-lb-ft of torque.

The price of this care is somewhere in the low 40's and figure the weight to be in the 3000-3200lb range.

Where all the money was put...

Now the question is this or Corvette?

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raghavan

Only thing i'd be worried about is the balance of this car.

TBR

I wouldn't be too worried about that, the LS2 probably weighs less than the F/I Ecotech the GXP version will get.

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

The thing is though that this will weigh about as much as a Vette, and cost about the same. Why opt for this?

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

It'll weigh a couple hundred pounds less probably and looks a whole lot better.

BMWDave

QuoteIt'll weigh a couple hundred pounds less probably and looks a whole lot better.
A couple hundred?  If this weighs 3200 pounds, its  only 88 pounds less than a Corvette.  And looks are subjective, I prefer the Corvette myself.

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

QuoteIt'll weigh a couple hundred pounds less probably and looks a whole lot better.
A couple hundred?  If this weighs 3200 pounds, its  only 88 pounds less than a Corvette.  And looks are subjective, I prefer the Corvette myself.
3200 lbs is the upper range of the estimates.

If it weighs 3000 lbs it will be significantly lighter.

Apart from that it appears to be on the order of 5-10k cheaper than a Vette convertible.

SJ_GTI

I wish GM would have just made the 205 HP SC ecotec as an option though...maybe for ~2-3k or so.

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raghavan

QuoteWay too expensive.
You think a convertable that's smaller and handles better (probably) and goes faster than a Corvette but does it all cheaper is still too expensive? :rolleyes:  

TBR

The lower number is 3000 and I suspect that it is more accurate.

Raza

The gray rims look awful, otherwise, bravo.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

QuoteWay too expensive.
You think a convertable that's smaller and handles better (probably) and goes faster than a Corvette but does it all cheaper is still too expensive? :rolleyes:
When you take resale into account, I would go with the Vette.  I would prefer a hard top anyway, so I would crossshop it with the Vette coupe.   I wouldn't be so sure it handles better or is noticably faster.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Secret Chimp

That'd be a biatch to work on.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.