Sporty's 350Z thread

Started by 12,000 RPM, July 22, 2013, 02:55:36 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Nope, #1 drift jeep with many good time friend

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 31, 2014, 10:36:51 AM
When have I gone with "JDM crap" in the past? :zzz:

And for the record, I'm probably going with Koni Yellows and Eibach Sportlines or Swift Springs. So much for that strawman

Yippee... still going to suck as a long ride daily commuter

Lets see, you think the Z isn't good for your commute.  You then start talking about a Fiesta for gas mileage.  Then an automatic was required - so it changed to Golf.  Then became GTI because its not sporty enough.  Now its a riced out manual tranny civic?  Is everything in your life one gigantic merry-go-round?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

You guys are being fucking ridiculous now.

There's umpteen trillion parts out for the civic, and springs and shocks are easy and cheap to do on that car.

Not sure how adding an intake and firmer springs = ricing. A non Si civic is still better on gas, cheaper to buy, and cheaper to insure.

FlatBlackCaddy

Serious question:

Aren't all civics usually higher to insure than a comparable segment car? I recall these getting "hit" for higher premiums due to the very high rate of theft.

I don't know how much it is(50 bucks on a 6 month premium wouldn't matter), but if we are talking hundreds more that's something I'd factor in.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on December 31, 2014, 11:43:53 AM

Not sure how adding an intake and firmer springs = ricing. A non Si civic is still better on gas, cheaper to buy, and cheaper to insure.

Just owning a civic can put you on the ground floor of rice tower.

Char

Remember when I had this conversation about MY choice of car? I had  a few criteria:

RWD
Manual
Good on gas
Not American
Have a back seat

The 3 Series fit that criteria the best, bar none.

With Sporty here, the goal post is always moving - which is hilarious considering how much sit he gave me. Remember his criteria for buying a new car? Remember how it kept changing? Remember the shit talking about Intakes and me driving a "base" 3 series? Remember how he wants a BASE civic to put an intake on?

We all know the Mazda 3 is a better car in every objective category, we all know that I found him a 3 series (MANUAL) with the same mileage for the same price (depreciation is a bitch... :( )and we know he just wants an excuse to rice out another Honda. Swift springs and Unvalved Koni twin tubes? Sounds terrible, sign me up.

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Char

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 31, 2014, 11:45:50 AM
Serious question:

Aren't all civics usually higher to insure than a comparable segment car? I recall these getting "hit" for higher premiums due to the very high rate of theft.

I don't know how much it is(50 bucks on a 6 month premium wouldn't matter), but if we are talking hundreds more that's something I'd factor in.

For me, insuring a Civic/Accord V6/328 (the Civic SI was the same cost as a normal civic) were all around the same price. Being a coupe brought the price up a little - a G37/335 brought the price up a LOT.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 31, 2014, 11:45:50 AM
Serious question:

For me, the Mazda 3 was far higher

Also mazda has corrosion issues (MX793's went to the scrap yard!)

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on December 31, 2014, 12:12:58 PM
For me, the Mazda 3 was far higher

Also mazda has corrosion issues (MX793's went to the scrap yard!)

How would rust affect insurance rates?

2o6

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 31, 2014, 12:20:44 PM
How would rust affect insurance rates?

It affects cost of ownership...I wasn't saying it affected insurance

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on December 31, 2014, 11:35:21 AM
Yippee... still going to suck as a long ride daily commuter

Lets see, you think the Z isn't good for your commute.  You then start talking about a Fiesta for gas mileage.  Then an automatic was required - so it changed to Golf.  Then became GTI because its not sporty enough.  Now its a riced out manual tranny civic?  Is everything in your life one gigantic merry-go-round?

Lets actually go through the sequence

Z ISN'T good for my commute, or my lifestyle in general. Was fine when I bought it, and fit all the criteria of what I was looking for at that time.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 22, 2013, 02:55:36 PM
I am working from home for now but I still need a car for rainy days, interviews, the winter, going to the gym etc. I don't think this thing will see more than ~500 miles a month and I have the bike. So a lot of shit doesn't matter. Maintenance costs don't matter though I would like the thing to run. Gas mileage doesn't matter though I don't want the worst of both worlds (weak performance + shitty mileage). Practicality kind of doesn't matter either, it can be a 2 seater. Only real limitation is price and possibly insurance.

My heart is set on a 2.8-3.0L E36 but there are some interesting alternatives. Main things I want are RWD, ~mid 14 sec or less quarter mile, <3200lbs, <$10K price, and some level of long distance comfort

Not practical, expensive to maintain/operate, cop + speed magnet. Most of that shit wouldn't even matter, if I wasn't driving 500 miles a week in it. So any fucking way I started talking about the Fiesta ST, but ruled it out because its back seat cant hold a rear facing infant seat- important as we plan to start having kids in the next 2 yrs. Never considered the Golf/Rabbit (more strawmen). Moved to the GTI, decided the reliability was too much of a gamble. Drove a Civic Si, didn't like the powerband or how loud the engine was.  Need something practical, comfy, cheap to run that's a little fun to drive.... plain Civic with mild mods fits the bill on all fronts.

And dont talk to me about rice Mr "repainted red calipers" :pee:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Non-WRX Impreza hatch? No shortage of mods for that. Great reliability, great residuals too - though mods kind of nuke the residuals, don't they? :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on December 31, 2014, 12:27:22 PM

It affects cost of ownership...I wasn't saying it affected insurance

I'm sure civics rust all the same, if we could remove some extreme variables that might give the appearance of one rusting "worse" than the either.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on December 31, 2014, 12:35:10 PM
Non-WRX Impreza hatch? No shortage of mods for that. Great reliability, great residuals too - though mods kind of nuke the residuals, don't they? :lol:
When I do mods I keep stock parts to sell them. No dice on Impreza hatch though. I told myself I dont ever want to need AWD again. W/o the need for AWD a non WRX Impreza is pretty awful. Friend of mine had one. Gas mileage on the old ones I can afford is pretty awful too

Laconian

Suzuki Kizashi? :huh:

Probably sucks for modding, but people seem to like how they drive...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on December 31, 2014, 12:35:10 PM

Don't know about the current gen, but the previous gen drove like Buicks.  I watched somebody run a bone stock ~2011 Impreza hatch at an autocross a couple of years ago and the thing had nautical levels of body roll.  For comparison, another competitor was driving a rented Corolla of the same vintage and that looked like it had the suspension roll rigidity of a Corvette in comparison.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on December 31, 2014, 12:49:57 PM
Suzuki Kizashi? :huh:

Probably sucks for modding, but people seem to like how they drive...

Interesting choice. Looks good, drives well, probably reliable enough. But dealer support is literally non-existent, and other than rarity, doesnt really have anything over a Civic from where Im sitting.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 31, 2014, 01:05:41 PM
Interesting choice. Looks good, drives well, probably reliable enough. But dealer support is literally non-existent, and other than rarity, doesnt really have anything over a Civic from where Im sitting.

Looks a shite ton better, and why do you need dealer support with a used car?

12,000 RPM

Cookie Monster

If it weren't for the damn spaceship dash on the Civic I'd have no problem with it. If you can see everything clearly when you sit in it, I guess it's a good choice, but even my friend who owns the Civic and is the exact opposite of me physically said he couldn't see his own speedo while driving. :facepalm:

I honestly think there's better options than a Civic. What about a Corolla XRS? Too rare?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FlatBlackCaddy

"What about a Corolla XRS?"

:facepalm:

MX793

What are gen 1 TSXs going for these days?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on December 31, 2014, 01:45:27 PM
What are gen 1 TSXs going for these days?
You can get one for ~10-12K but it will have way more miles. Truthfully, the 06-11 Acura CSX base model with the 2.0L SOHC instead of the Civic's 1.8 would strike the best balance but thats not an option here.

r0tor

Lol... a lowered civic with a farty intake/exhaust and the all mighty Accord BBK just screams practical daily commuter and in no possible way a police magnet

Holy shit... just admit your still a hondaboi racer inside and quit trying to justify it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Who is tryign to justify anything? Especially to someone who keeps adding to their strawman fanfic and getting facts wrong (who said anything about an exhaust?)

r0tor

Forgot to mention the huge wing and hella flush wheels

12,000 RPM

FlatBlackCaddy

You'd think a honda fan and a rotary fan would be able to come together and bond over their shared love of underpowered torque-less cars.

What's happening to this world?

GoCougs