Fun vs real life

Started by Onslaught, July 25, 2013, 06:41:24 PM

Soup DeVille

To the contrary, you seem quite well rounded in that area. I could regale you on the trucks I've driven and owned, but the ones I spent the most time in were technically at least 8 wheel drive.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

90+% of trucks sold are 4x4 so why is anyone arguing what he needs?  Even if he didn't need it (which he does) he would most likely end up with a 4x4 anyway.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on July 27, 2013, 02:05:08 AM
90+% of trucks sold are 4x4 so why is anyone arguing what he needs?  Even if he didn't need it (which he does) he would most likely end up with a 4x4 anyway.

I don't think that's true. I'd bet it's closer to 50/50.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on July 26, 2013, 09:34:20 PM
I am generally in support of 4WD trucks, as 2WD has always seemed a little silly unless you never leave the pavement. Of all the times I've needed 4WD, there are 20 more times when 4WD was nice to have. When I had a 2WD truck, sure, I could get a lot of places you might think, oh gee 4WD only, but it sucked a lot more to get there.

However, if you don't need 4WD (as Onslaught clearly doesn't), and you're very concerned about reliability and price, then 2WD is the way to go. IMO, buy the 2WD truck or don't complain about needing a truck.
How the fuck do you know what I need? I've seen 2WD trucks get stuck at some of the boat ramps I use at the coast. I just pulled a 2WD truck out of the mud at my 2nd pond with my dads 4WD truck the other week. Yea, 90% of the people don't need 4WD 99% of the time. Don't throw me on that list. I'd never own a 2WD truck.

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 27, 2013, 03:04:02 AM
I don't think that's true. I'd bet it's closer to 50/50.
Perhaps that's a Canada thing? I don't think it's even close to that down here.

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 26, 2013, 06:02:49 PM
Congratulations. You live in a bumpy part of the country. Have a cookie to celebrate.

That still doesn't show anything toward's Onslaught need, or lack thereof (remember, he did mention driving actually off the road as well). The point being: buy says he needs four wheel drive, that's probably what he's going to be looking to buy.

No, I don't. I'm in NC. I've lived in Charlotte. I spend weekends there. I go there for work. I'm pretty familiar with the area.

If it makes him feel better to have 4WD, then by all means, he should get what he wants. It's his money. But the idea that it is necessary to have in Charlotte is absolutely ridiculous.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Quote from: Onslaught on July 26, 2013, 07:03:06 PM
Lol, Someone who's never been to my house is telling me how my roads and driveway are. My girlfriend was the same way. She's from Nebraska and knows everything about snow.
But we get snow and ice. And when that ice gets on my driveway, in the shade if the woods it will last for a week. And at the bottom of that hill is a pond if you slide back. Just like she did the first time she went up it in her Honda Civic that she used in Nebraska.

But as I said before, I have more then snow and ice for a reason for 4WD. Living in the country reasons. Things most of you know nothing about.

As for southern drivers in snow. Yes, they suck ass. And northern ass holes aren't near as good as they think they are.

I drove a miata in places that people in SUV's got stuck in. I was snow plowing for most of it. So I'm not a pro, but I know what can and can't be done.

Like I said man, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Hell, I'd up the stakes to a VIP dance at Cab.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

r0tor

Ever think about snow tires and wheels if snow is the main concern?  I drove through every storm we had up here for about 6 or 7 years in my 8 without too much trouble.  Of course, my JGC still is better in deep snow, for home depot runs, and tons of fun in the outer banks.  For just slick roads or icy storms, I think my 8 with snow tires was better as it had more feel and your able to adjust it with the throttle easy.

I could set you up with a set of wheels with worn out snow tires fairly cheaply...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

You haven't sold your automotive soul as long as you have one fun car IMO.  I think 3 cars is pushing it as too many for one guy.

I am really glad I got the 4runner. I don't drive it as often as my c6, but when I need it I need it and its convenient to have. It would be more so for you given you have land.

If I were in your shoes, I would sell one of the mazdas and get a Tacoma 4dr or something along those lines.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on July 27, 2013, 05:52:35 AM
Perhaps that's a Canada thing? I don't think it's even close to that down here.
It's probably more like 95+% up here.

Rupert

Quote from: Onslaught on July 27, 2013, 05:48:06 AM
How the fuck do you know what I need? I've seen 2WD trucks get stuck at some of the boat ramps I use at the coast. I just pulled a 2WD truck out of the mud at my 2nd pond with my dads 4WD truck the other week. Yea, 90% of the people don't need 4WD 99% of the time. Don't throw me on that list. I'd never own a 2WD truck.

Because you obviously get along OK now without even a truck. ;)

I'm just saying that since 2WD would clearly work OK for most of what you want it for, and you're concerned about paying a lot, and you're picky about which truck and its condition, and you don't want to sell either of your cars, you should consider a 2WD truck, since it's much cheaper. Again, you could find a 10 year old 2WD minimalist truck in good reliable shape for $3000 or less. Double that or more for 4WD.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Don't even THINK about a 2WD truck. It's not gonna cost double for 4WD...

Nissan Frontier or w/e they call their small pickup would be a good option too.

Onslaught

I don't live in Charlotte. I live outside of Charlotte in the country. Or what's left of it anyway.

I'm sick of using other people's trucks. I used my dads for a week to build a deck. I'll use is to buy my Big Green Egg grille this week. And then use it again to build the table for it. I'm sick of using other people's stuff. I think people who do that all the time are ass holes. And his trucks are mint condition without a dint or scratch. So I feel nervous using them.

Oh, and I want two large kayaks to fish out if the sounds here at the island. Can't use a RX-8 for that.

Could I have 2 cars and a truck at the same time? Sure I could. But it's not logical or practical. And what about when I get an FD RX-7? I don't have the room for that kind of shit.

So I was mostly wondering if any of you sold a fun car for a car you actually needed? And if so did it depress you?

Soup DeVille

I was sad about the S2000. I was sad about the '71 Beetle. The Nova I was happy to see leave, as was the case for most other cars. Once in a while, I feel a completely undefinsible pang of longing for the Fuego, but I usually attribute that to some latent psychological disease.

Rupert

I'd sell the RX-8 when you get your RX-7.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Ha! That's nuts, and after all that; it's not worth five thousand.

mzziaz

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 27, 2013, 04:43:47 PM
Ha! That's nuts, and after all that; it's not worth five thousand.

"This car will make you a celebrity ( if you are not, soon all eyes will be on you), the car is good for motion picture cartoon toys and making your own comic books ( with car and custom ) this could bring you lots of money for year to come in royalties  if it makes it to this level, I don't have the connections or contacts to reach the next level my lost your gain."
Cuore Sportivo

Onslaught

I wouldn't give you $5.00 for that..... Thing.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on July 27, 2013, 04:48:03 PM
I wouldn't give you $5.00 for that..... Thing.

Los of scrap metal, and probably a running engine. And the seats look nice.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on July 27, 2013, 04:47:04 PM
"This car will make you a celebrity ( if you are not, soon all eyes will be on you), the car is good for motion picture cartoon toys and making your own comic books ( with car and custom ) this could bring you lots of money for year to come in royalties  if it makes it to this level, I don’t have the connections or contacts to reach the next level my lost your gain."

Yeah, I'm quite sure Stan Lee's success and fame all hinged on him owning a ridiculous piece of crap like that.

Raza

Just buy an old Cherokee.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

I don't want an SUV. I couldn't use it for half the things I need a truck for. SUV's are fine for most people but useless for me.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on July 28, 2013, 04:31:43 PM
I don't want an SUV. I couldn't use it for half the things I need a truck for. SUV's are fine for most people but useless for me.

The problem I see though is that nicer older trucks, even the 2-wd versions, tend to be too pricy to just keep as a winter beater.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on July 28, 2013, 04:31:43 PM
Then why did you mention the Nissan Pathfinder on Page 1?  Did you mean Nissan Frontier?

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on July 28, 2013, 05:39:58 PM
Then why did you mention the Nissan Pathfinder on Page 1?  Did you mean Nissan Frontier?
Yes, sorry. As I said I was drunk for most of that night. I was thinking Frontier or Tacoma. I don't really need a full size truck and I hate the looks of everyone of them on the market right now.

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 28, 2013, 04:36:03 PM
The problem I see though is that nicer older trucks, even the 2-wd versions, tend to be too pricy to just keep as a winter beater.
Yes, that is a problem. But then again I never said anything about a beater. Or I don't think I did anyway. I was talking about a brand new truck or one just a year or two old. Others here keep talking about beaters. I need a truck that not only I can drive to work everyday and use for house things but also drive to the coast pulling boats. I'd never trust a "beater" for that.

For the record I'd never be seen in a beater. I'm a snob. I won't eve take my aunts old 80's Jeep truck to get gas in it because I find it's appearance embarrassing. And yes, I'm drunk again.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on July 28, 2013, 06:19:29 PM
Yes, that is a problem. But then again I never said anything about a beater. Or I don't think I did anyway. I was talking about a brand new truck or one just a year or two old. Others here keep talking about beaters. I need a truck that not only I can drive to work everyday and use for house things but also drive to the coast pulling boats. I'd never trust a "beater" for that.

For the record I'd never be seen in a beater. I'm a snob. I won't eve take my aunts old 80's Jeep truck to get gas in it because I find it's appearance embarrassing. And yes, I'm drunk again.

Eh, when you're talking about third vehicles for utilitarian purposes, a beater is generally what comes to mind.

New trucks, BTW: are even more expensive.

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 28, 2013, 06:27:06 PM
Eh, when you're talking about third vehicles for utilitarian purposes, a beater is generally what comes to mind.

New trucks, BTW: are even more expensive.
No shit. New trucks cost way too much for what they are. A long time ago you could get a truck for cheap. Now they cost as much or more then sports cars. And for what? A fucking boring ass truck.

I've made up my mind however. Next year I'll buy a new truck and just keep my other cars too. It will be my DD and my work around the house truck. Fuck it, it's only money and I don't have kids.
With the way I'm wired I'd never be happy with some used beat up POS. And I hate working on cars at home anyway.

Soup DeVille

That's because new trucks are for some reason also expected to be cars these days. I'm not sure you can even buy a standard cab pickup anymore without special ordering it.