Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System - Detailing Product Review

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, July 28, 2013, 11:35:53 AM

FlatBlackCaddy

So I picked up one of these kits from the store the other day, got a chance to use it on the 300ZX. So I thought I'd post a review for anyone interested.

The Meguiars system is a 2 part detail/correction system that is sold through it's detail division. Unlike the consumer division, most of the products in the detail division are targeted towards the professional detail industry. Bulk concentrated cleaners is what this line has traditionally been filled with. The DA correction system is a new product that is intended to give a detailer a simple 2 step quick system. The 1st step(correction compound) is used to remove minor defects such as light scratches, waterspots, and swirls. The 2nd step consists of a finishing wax that is blend of synthetic polymers and carnauba wax. Both are applied by a orbital machine utilizing a foam backed microfiber polishing surface.

The Car:

I decided to use my 300ZX since it was starting to look a little rough(medium swirls and some light scratches). I didn't get a chance to take any before pictures or to do a separation line on the hood for comparison purposes. I'm sure everyone knows what a black car with swirls from hand-washing and waterspots looks like. So I'll leave it to your imaginations on that one. I did one pass of the correction compound and one pass of the polishing compound using a meguiars DA polisher.

Step 1: Correction compound

The first step is optional, according to the insert I received with the kit. It is used to remove moderate scratches and swirls. Even on a well cared for and waxed finish, scratches and swirls are hard to avoid and will always be noticeable after just a few months. Even though I polished my Z about 4 months ago, it was looking pretty rough to me.

The correction compound is more of a light cutting polish, the package promised easy cleanup with low sling and a swirl free finish. After priming the pad and doing a small section on the hood I took a light and checked out the finish. Light scratches were easily removed as well as swirls, very little haze was present from the compound. Even on a black car most would not see the need for an additional polishing step, but of course the 2nd component isn't just a light polish but a synthetic wax/sealant. So it is a necessity in this system unless you choose to use a different wax for a final protective finish.

I continued around the rest of the car using the correction compound, 2-3 medium pressure passes followed by 1-2 light pressure passes. The compound worked out pretty well. It would work out to a point where it would dry or dust, it would stay lightly moist but still wipe away easily with a rag. At first I thought this was due to it using fillers, but I could see no indication that it was filling scratches as opposed to actually removing them. A very important point when it comes to actual defect correction and paint finishing. Fillers, while they look good, have very little longevity and do not give you the longevity of a professionally polished finish.

Step 2: Finishing wax

According to the information provided with the system. This step can be used as a light polish as well as a sealant. I imagine after using the correction compound you would be able to do "touch ups" using just the 2nd step. I'm guessing the correction step would be something that would only have to be done 2-3 times a year, depending on vehicle usage.

The finishing wax is used at a lower speed(3800 OPM) and can be applied to multiple panels, or the whole car, before buffing off the residue. I tried one panel at a time, at first, but latter found that doing larger areas allowed for the time needed to let the wax haze up and wipe away more easily. Once I got going, this step was very fast. Needing only 2-3 light passes, I was able to do the whole car(glass and all) in about 40 minutes. A person wouldn't have any problem using this product on a monthly basis, using a orbital it is a very fast and very clean process.

After doing the top(hood, roof, hatch) and then each side in separate sections. I took a clean microfiber and wiped the residue off the car, the finish was a bit brighter and removed what little haze was left from the 1st step.

Conclusion:

I'm pretty happy with this system, what intrigued me about it was the use of microfiber being used as the polishing surface. If you've done any amount of detailing you are aware of what an amazing tool microfiber is. Seeing this product and always looking to try something new, I figured it might be a good fit for simple paint maintenance for the amateur or professional.

The system worked great and functioned as promised. It was very easy to use, orbital polishing is an extremely safe as opposed to a circular machine. The orbital action plus the use of microfiber resulted in a quick and clean way to get a pretty good finish out of your daily driver or even a show quality vehicle. Can't think of anything I'd really change with this system, it's pretty solid. I'll probably use this as the system I'll be using on my summer vehicles. A quick polish in the spring followed by monthly step 2 application should keep them looking pretty good.

Ratings:

Price: B (I don't know the retail cost, I purchased it in kit form at my distributor level. I'm guessing between 80-90 for 4 pads and both liquids)
Application: B+
Finish: B+

Here's some pics, sorry for the smartphone quality.

Blue glow is from the flash, normally the flash will expose eve the finest swirls

I also finally decided to clean out my doorjambs. They were disgusting and really looked rough, I have been meaning to do this for A FEW YEARS(ya i'm lazy).

Here is the before. Water spots, scratches and just generally shit.

I used the step one compound by hand, working it with alot of pressure to get the most cutting power out of it. If this was nothing more than a light polish with a filler, it wouldn't have touched these jambs. Turns out it can be a very aggressive compound.

I did not use the second step in the jambs, I used a heavier insulator wax to protect this area for longer. I applied two coats to both sides after compounding them.

Driver side jamb

Thanks for reading