Lebowski's New Car Thread

Started by Lebowski, November 12, 2005, 08:17:09 AM

Raza

I haven't driven any G35s, but I've driven two 350Zs, and it's the same transmission.  Great shifter, if not a little vague--it's on the light side, if you like that.  Though I'm not fond of the clutch, myself.  The catch feels quite high, and it doesn't communicate it very well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteSidebar quesion:  XM vs. Sirius satellite radio?  Most offer both, they're usually the same price (at least on the car, not sure about the monthly service fee).  Anybody have any opinions regarding which has the best content?  Does one have a better signal (seems unlikely but worth asking)?
Personally, I'd go for XM on the basis of their 365 day baseball channel and the fact that I don't care for Howard Stern one bit (and I'd hate to pay for him with Sirius when I don't listen to him for free now).  But, I don't see myself buying either any time soon.  What I would get, however, is a Bluetooth connection and an iPod hookup.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

QuoteSidebar quesion:  XM vs. Sirius satellite radio?  Most offer both, they're usually the same price (at least on the car, not sure about the monthly service fee).  Anybody have any opinions regarding which has the best content?  Does one have a better signal (seems unlikely but worth asking)?
Personally, I'd go for XM on the basis of their 365 day baseball channel and the fact that I don't care for Howard Stern one bit (and I'd hate to pay for him with Sirius when I don't listen to him for free now).  But, I don't see myself buying either any time soon.  What I would get, however, is a Bluetooth connection and an iPod hookup.
Ah, I didn't think about the ipod via bluetooth.  How does that work?  You just get an attachment for your ipod that allows wireless connection to the stereo?  If that's the case, that definately makes bluetooth more attractive.  Check another notch in the G35/TL column.  The A4 has bluetooth if you get the tech package that is required for Nav.  On the Bimmer, you've gotta get the premium package, which adds $750 (once you already have leather), bringing my as configured 330i to a whopping $44,640.

Raza

QuoteSidebar quesion:  XM vs. Sirius satellite radio?  Most offer both, they're usually the same price (at least on the car, not sure about the monthly service fee).  Anybody have any opinions regarding which has the best content?  Does one have a better signal (seems unlikely but worth asking)?
Ah, I didn't think about the ipod via bluetooth.  How does that work?  You just get an attachment for your ipod that allows wireless connection to the stereo?  If that's the case, that definately makes bluetooth more attractive.  Check another notch in the G35/TL column.  The A4 has bluetooth if you get the tech package that is required for Nav.  On the Bimmer, you've gotta get the premium package, which adds $750 (once you already have leather), bringing my as configured 330i to a whopping $44,640.
Bluetooth is a seriously cool feature, but I think you can get a wired hookup for your iPod in almost any car (I know Mercedes has it available, even for retrofit, I believe).  Also, many aftermarket head units offer iPod connections (which is good for me, since the Elise head unit is basically an aftermarket Blaupunkt system).  

I'll head over to Apple.com to see if there's a Bluetooth adapter for the iPod.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

I can't quite find an iPod Bluetooth adapter.  I'll do some phoning during regular hours for you tomorrow.  I'd be quite surprised if someone at Apple hasn't been clever enough to think this up yet.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

And have you considered an RX-8?  I can personally vouch for that car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteOkay, back from the RX-8.

First, I have to say it was not the most exciting car I've ever driven. The Boxster S is still better to drive, in terms of feedback, handling, and purity, but this is damn close. The seats are very comfortable and supportive, and it's easy to get into the proper driving position. I wish the steering wheel would telescope, but the tilt feature is almost as good.

The interior was shocking--it's so much better than the Nissan 350Z. The plastic on the dash never seems like a cheap slab, the interior actually feels bespoke (even though I spotted some Mazda6 bits in there) compared to the Z car which feels mass produced. Though Tiff complained of the rotary shaped shifter, I found it fit my hand perfectly, the point of the shifter fit great into the space between my thumb and index finger. The rifle grip handbrake is uber-cool, too. There are rotary shapes everywhere, from the front and rear air dams to the front seat headrests. There's even enough rear seat space to put two people for a few hours without hearing complaints.

The ride is firm, but compliant and smooth, never harsh. You're well aware of what's going on underneath, but it never slaps you across the face with it. You could eat highway miles in this car and never think twice about it. Handling is phenomenal, and the car deals with extreme curves with little drama.

The shift action is great, but not the best. It's a little notchy, but the shifts are short and low-effort, but for some reason I had trouble getting it into 3rd gear, and it took me a little while to get used to it. The 350Z, on the other hand is light and effortless, but a litte vague. The clutch is much better and more communicative and easier to modulate than the 350Z's, however, and I think overall, I like the RX-8's transmission better.

For those rotary-doubters out there, there is ample power almost anywhere in the rev band. At 3000rpm in 3rd gear, the car pulls when you step on the gas, no downshift needed. I had the car in pretty bad traffic (Tom probably knows what Roosevelt Boulevard can get like) and never felt like I needed more power. Plus, revving the car is so intoxicating.

Overall, I'd say that this car is a much better dance partner than the Nissan 350Z is, and it's more practical and cheaper to boot.

9000 revs. Now I understand love.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

QuoteSidebar quesion:? XM vs. Sirius satellite radio?? Most offer both, they're usually the same price (at least on the car, not sure about the monthly service fee).? Anybody have any opinions regarding which has the best content?? Does one have a better signal (seems unlikely but worth asking)?
Bluetooth is a seriously cool feature, but I think you can get a wired hookup for your iPod in almost any car (I know Mercedes has it available, even for retrofit, I believe).  Also, many aftermarket head units offer iPod connections (which is good for me, since the Elise head unit is basically an aftermarket Blaupunkt system).  

I'll head over to Apple.com to see if there's a Bluetooth adapter for the iPod.
Yeah, I knew you could get a wired hookup, but that's a hassle.  A wireless option via bluetooth would definately be preferred.

As for the RX8, I edited my prior post addressing other cars, I said I'll think about it.  For the most part, I'm looking for a car with a usable back seat, I'd really only consider making an exception for a truly remarkable car (like a vette!).

EDIT:  Good RX-8 review.

Raza

You really can fit adults in the back seat, even though it's only a four place car.  My friend, who is 6'2" or something like that fit in the back of one quite comfortably.

Rear legroom is 32.2" opposed to the TSX's 34.2".

EDIT:  Thanks about the review.  It was just a quick write-up, if I go for a second test drive, I'll be able to give you guys something more extensive.

But trust me, this car's rear seat is very usable.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

The Bimmer's got an aux connection, btw. Easy to hook up the iPod.

Catman

Damn, I forgot all about the IS!  It's probably a little smaller than the G35 but the interior is much nicer and the 3.5L seems like a nice set up.  I would also expect quality to be a little better than the Infiniti, but you'll pay a bit more for it.

Catman

The RX-8 is a cool car and it would be even better if it had a better mileage and didn't burn so much oil.  I just wouldn't buy one.

Raghavan

The RX-8 back seat isn't uncomfortable at all. It's not spacious, but there's enough legroom to be comfortable for a couple of hours imo. Besides, the seats are just awesome. :praise:

TBR

QuoteThe Bimmer's got an aux connection, btw. Easy to hook up the iPod.
The Corvette probably does as well (assuming it got the new corporate head unit).

Lebowski: What about a SAAB 9-3 or 9-5?

TBR

Also, do you always talk in the 3rd person?? ;)  

Colonel Cadillac

I have not really listened to XM much, but my dad's car has Sirius and it works very well and the stations play a very good variety of music. Sirius is a client of my dad's, so I would suggest Sirius just because.  

Raza

QuoteAlso, do you always talk in the 3rd person?? ;)
I'm lost... who is speaking in the third person?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

"Lebowski's New Car Thread, Lebowski needs a new car"

Raza

Quote"Lebowski's New Car Thread, Lebowski needs a new car"
Oh.  Right.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

Raza

QuoteCatman enjoys competitive self pleasuring! :lol:
That's more like it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

The Corvette probably does as well (assuming it got the new corporate head unit).

Lebowski isn't a big fan of the Saab's quirkey styling.  Lebowski thinks Saabs are for queers and artsy-fartsy types  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I used 3rd person in the thread title so people would know who we were talking about.  I may use 3rd person on these boards every once in a while (although I don't think I have other than this thread title) just for shits and giggles, and sort of as a throwback to the real Lebowski ("The Dude Abides").  In real life, I don't ever refer to myself using my real name in the third person.  In fact, Lebowski thinks people who refer to themselves in the third person in real life, other than in a joking manner, are huge tools.

Raghavan

That's more like it.
:o  :lol:  

Catman

That's more like it.
:o  :lol:
:mellow:  

cozmik

Lebowski isn't a big fan of the Saab's quirkey styling.  Lebowski thinks Saabs are for queers and artsy-fartsy types  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I would have to go with Raza on this one, look at the RX-8. I wasn't convinced about it on paper, but I really liked it once I drove it. Great clutch, nice engine, good shifter.  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Lebowski

Lebowski is.   :lol:  

Catman

Lebowski is.   :lol:
Lebowski, how is Lebowski doing?

Lebowski

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I would have to go with Raza on this one, look at the RX-8. I wasn't convinced about it on paper, but I really liked it once I drove it. Great clutch, nice engine, good shifter.
I was just kidding about the Saab.  They're not for me, but they are nice cars.

I'll look at the RX8, but I'm still highly doubtful I'd seriously consider it.  When I mentioned the corvette, I was really talking about maybe a 2% chance I would get something other than a regular four door sedan.  So the four doors, particularly G35, TSX, TL, IS350 (A4 and 330 haven't officially been eliminated but they are trailing by a lot), are what I'm focusing my search on.

Oh, also, the RL.  I'm somewhat surprised nobody has come out with any information about whether ~$40k is realistic for an '05.  Anyone have any information?  Was that post on C&D for real or is a $40k RL a pipe dream?

SaltyDog

You haven't really given a solid reason why a Saab or Lincoln is not for you.  Stereotypes?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

MrH

Go for a fully loaded Mazdaspeed 6.  It comes with a ton of luxury features, and is by no means as harsh as an STi or Evo.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV