Bought me a V8

Started by AutobahnSHO, August 11, 2013, 01:09:55 PM

AutobahnSHO

So I was looking at motorhomes and happened on this, a 1988 Chevy conversion van.
$1400 and it's mine.  Bought it for traveling to see the kids in Maryland- no hotel rooms and I can shower at Fort Meade or Annapolis gyms for free..

A/C doesn't work but drives fine so far- needs all the TLC an OLD vehicle, shampoo carpets, minor cosmetic help.
Has an old school CB and TV (I was surprised it picks up one station- I thought the analogs were all off the air!), the captain seats all swivel around, table can be in the back or middle (could make another, it's a simple pipe+ wooden assembly), lots of cupholders and ashtrays...

It's HUGE inside!!!!
I could care less about the exterior but think it would be fun to eventually pimp out the inside.. :lol:

Any guesses on what my gas mileage will be? I bought it then went for an Army exercise  in Indiana for 10days, I filled it up for the first time last week and will drive it a bunch to get a feel for that...

Will

CJ

Think of all the sex that thing has seen.

93JC

280Z Turbo

Gotta-Qik-C7

Thats the REAL Swagger Wagon!!! My cousin has one as his tow vehicle and cries constantly about it being a gas hog. You'll be lucky to get 10mpg!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Byteme

Sweet.

It only needs two things.

About 30 square yards of red velour.

Shag carpeting. 

:lol:

ifcar

Congrats! It looks very clean on the outside, especially for the age. When I was a kid we loved it when my grandparents would visit in their 1994 Chevrolet van -- so roomy and plush. My grandfather even built custom beds for it, and they traveled cross-country in it several times.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

LOLS LOLS LOLS

Yeah, I think I could use it to tow (eventually I want a popup but hopefully by the time I have money for something like that I'll also have money for a FLEX or something)

I want to get it detailed- just INSIDE. What is the appropriate rate to vacuum/shampoo everything?

AND the back "bed" isn't really long or wide enough for me to sleep on. I'm thinking a hammock would be perfect. :lol: Then I could take my kids, they could all fit on the bed and floor easy...!

(but the middle row captain's chairs lean so far back it's almost flat anyway. Could sleep in those...)

There is a drivein movie less than an hour from here. I wanted to take VAN but they put the audio on the radio and the rightside of VAN's stereo doesn't work, plus it's a crappy old GM deck to begin with...
Will

S204STi

hotrodalex

Yeah I would definitely shampoo all the fabric inside. :lol:

Speed_Racer

All it needs is a little "FREE CANDY" written on side, and you're all set!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: S204STi on August 11, 2013, 04:56:10 PM
Oh Jesus, no, no, NO.

you are waaaaay too late. Already bought, titled, tagged, driven. :lol:   

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 11, 2013, 05:28:26 PM
All it needs is a little "FREE CANDY" written on side, and you're all set!

People THINK that one never gets old.........   :facepalm:
Will

Laconian

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 11, 2013, 05:27:58 PM
Yeah I would definitely shampoo all the fabric inside. :lol:

Ultraviolet dome lights!!!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

hotrodalex

Quote from: Laconian on August 11, 2013, 06:29:12 PM
Ultraviolet dome lights!!!

Clean and get a tan at the same time!

280Z Turbo

Well, you have to admit the van does look like rape.

Soup DeVille

Naww.

Too many windows.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

look how bright it was inside with all the shades drawn!!!

-I bought a curtainrod and curtain to hang behind the driver/passenger seats, right below the TV...
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 11, 2013, 07:04:08 PM
look how bright it was inside with all the shades drawn!!!

-I bought a curtainrod and curtain to hang behind the driver/passenger seats, right below the TV...

You could probably dump the TV for extra storage space; but under no circumstances are you ever allowed to get rid of the CB.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 11, 2013, 07:07:53 PM
You could probably dump the TV for extra storage space; but under no circumstances are you ever allowed to get rid of the CB.

I wanna connect my old school Turbografx16 game system. I also have DVD players.... :lol:
Will

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 11, 2013, 06:52:52 PM
Well, you have to admit the van does look like rape.

Not with all those big windows on the side. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 11, 2013, 08:43:07 PM
Not with all those big windows on the side. 

Pay Per View maybe?

hotrodalex

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 11, 2013, 08:44:53 PM
Pay Per View maybe?

Gotta get those coin operated shades they used to use for live peep shows...

Speed_Racer

Soup DeVille

bing_oh

Me and the guys I go on a yearly road trip with were looking for one of those. High quality, man! That's travelling in luxury, right there!

Rupert

So you sold a Miata for this?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Northlands

Hard to jam three kids in a Miata though.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Raza

Quote from: Northlands on August 12, 2013, 02:41:12 PM
Hard to jam three kids in a Miata though.

Not if you have a good blender.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.