evo Analogue Supercar test- F1, F40, F50, Noble, Carrera GT, Murci, Zonda...

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 12, 2013, 03:23:05 PM

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on August 22, 2013, 04:03:07 PM
Clarkson made Ford buy his GT back after about a month of ownership because it was such a POS...

Because of the aftermarket alarm, I believe.

GoCougs

Quote from: CJ on August 22, 2013, 04:09:05 PM

Car companies just don't buy back cars because someone asks let alone because of a trippy aftermarket alarm, so there is likely a whole pile of something that when on behind the scenes, probably not a lot to do with the alarm.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on August 22, 2013, 03:37:38 PM
His main point was that it was a cheap knockoff of an icon... and therefore terrible.  He absolutely has a point.

Not really. The Ford GT wasn't "cheap." Sure it was retro but it was very well executed (and much better looking than the original).

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on August 22, 2013, 03:37:38 PM
His main point was that it was a cheap knockoff of an icon... and therefore terrible.  He absolutely has a point.
That's the point he was trying to make but he's full of shit.  The GT was a brilliant car that had the styling of the original.  I guess the 2005 Mustang is a cheap knockoff of an icon too?

SVT666

Clarkson made Ford buy his GT back after about a month of ownership because it was such a POS...

Quote from: CJ on August 22, 2013, 04:09:05 PM

Quote from: GoCougs on August 22, 2013, 04:17:43 PM
Car companies just don't buy back cars because someone asks let alone because of a trippy aftermarket alarm, so there is likely a whole pile of something that when on behind the scenes, probably not a lot to do with the alarm.

Actually it had everything to do with the alarm but it was a stock alarm and not afternarket.  The alarm kept going off at random times and then he would get a phone call in the middle of the night and sometimes while he was driving from Ford telling him his car had been stolen.  The car spent a lot of time in the shop for the issue and Ford couldn't rectify the situation.  Clarkson demanded they buy the car back and they did.  Likely to avoid worse press than Clarkson was already giving them.  Despite all that, Clarkson still says it's one of the best cars he has ever driven and owned.

Raza

Then he bought it back again.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: SVT666 on August 22, 2013, 04:30:50 PM
That's the point he was trying to make but he's full of shit.  The GT was a brilliant car that had the styling of the original.  I guess the 2005 Mustang is a cheap knockoff of an icon too?

Yup
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

GoCougs

Not sure what's up with that - the retro pony cars are great cars and successful in the marketplace.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on August 22, 2013, 08:09:27 PM
Not sure what's up with that - the retro pony cars are great cars and successful in the marketplace.
GT is in a very different market... people spending 150K on a car want the image of wealth, not fake nostalgia
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Limited edition halo car that runs 200 mph? I think it has the cache to sport the label "supercar."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on August 23, 2013, 06:51:07 AM
Limited edition halo car that runs 200 mph? I think it has the cache to sport the label "supercar."

212.  Apparently electronically limited, according to Wikipedia.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on August 22, 2013, 08:09:27 PM

The names mustang and camaro carry enough cache that the designers could make it a turd on wheels and people would still preorder them.

Retro copies are just designers being lazy.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

hotrodalex

I see the retro pony car phase as a nice reboot for the cars, since they were getting off track a little bit.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 23, 2013, 02:30:00 AM
GT is in a very different market... people spending 150K on a car want the image of wealth, not fake nostalgia
You don't think the Ford GT projects an image of wealth?  Are you fucking high?

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 23, 2013, 02:30:00 AM

Didn't seem like Ford had a problem selling them and suffice it to say they're doing even better used (quick Googling shows an average asking price of ~$225k).

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on August 23, 2013, 07:31:35 AM
The names mustang and camaro carry enough cache that the designers could make it a turd on wheels and people would still preorder them.

Retro copies are just designers being lazy.

Betcha it was harder politically and technically to get the current Camaro to market than it was a non-retro version.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on August 23, 2013, 09:01:18 AM
You don't think the Ford GT projects an image of wealth?  Are you fucking high?
Its like a fancy Corvette

SVT666

12,000 RPM

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on August 23, 2013, 12:10:09 PM
Betcha it was harder politically and technically to get the current Camaro to market than it was a non-retro version.

Yes, with ford already selling a bunch of retro mustangs - I am sure that it was a tougher decision to sell a retro camaro then it would have been a clean slate one.