Crossing paths with SPINners on the interwebs

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 14, 2013, 04:47:23 PM

12,000 RPM

I'm reading an article on TTAC about an SCCA instructor turning himself in after killing somebody in a hit and run, and I read the first comment:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/08/scuderia-driver-and-scca-auto-x-champion-faces-questions-related-to-hit-and-run/#more-499331

Quotelol – yet another abominable piece by TTAC. The "right" to "negotiate" surrender? He "significantly" limited the ammunition the cops have? By fleeing he opened himself up to "probably just a single additional charge?" What a joke!!!

But yeah, this awful piece, let alone the crash itself, demonstrates that many in the automotive enthusiast community want to drive like thugs and get away with it.

O and Cougs I totally agree; the fact that dude is an SCCA instructor only makes it worse

Just weird to know nowhere on the internet is safe
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Yes, that was me. I think some of my follow-on comments got removed. Huge lol on how many are giving advice and otherwise endorsing the piece. Idiots.

TTAC is awful. Not sure why I go there anymore.

Speed_Racer

"Thou shalt have no other forums before me." - The Book of CarSpin 1:7

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on August 14, 2013, 04:56:05 PM
Yes, that was me. I think some of my follow-on comments got removed. Huge lol on how many are giving advice and otherwise endorsing the piece. Idiots.

TTAC is awful. Not sure why I go there anymore.

TTAC has its moments. They have a lot of good coverage of the automotive industry. But yea between shit like this and Bertel Schmitt they def have their shite too.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 14, 2013, 05:27:19 PM
TTAC has its moments. They have a lot of good coverage of the automotive industry. But yea between shit like this and Bertel Schmitt they def have their shite too.

Agreed.  They have some interesting commentary from time to time, but usually they're pretty shitty.

Same goes for Jalopnik. Usually mindless shit that I disagree with, but they're usually first to break things, and have a gem once in awhile.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

and the second post looked like somebody picking on him the way everyone here does. that's odd

GoCougs

Secret Chimp

TTAC sucks. Bertel Schmitt is a fucking schmuck and a half. Curbside Classics used to be cool, now it's a bunch of idiots who think the rebadged-to-death barges from the 70s and 80s are worth caring about. There's an entire piece on a frigging wrecked basket-handle Fox body getting towed away like it was some rare jewel FFS.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Xer0

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 20, 2013, 11:12:42 AM
TTAC sucks. Bertel Schmitt is a fucking schmuck and a half. Curbside Classics used to be cool, now it's a bunch of idiots who think the rebadged-to-death barges from the 70s and 80s are worth caring about. There's an entire piece on a frigging wrecked basket-handle Fox body getting towed away like it was some rare jewel FFS.

Schmitt is finally gone.  Even with him gone, TTAC is still too immature of a site that has a too high opinion of itself and does too much passive aggressive finger pointing.  We'll see if that changes. 

Laconian

What was wrong with Schmitt? I enjoyed his Inside Baseball perspective.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

Quote from: Laconian on August 20, 2013, 05:09:50 PM

He wrote posts insulting former staffers and various other people.  The whole blog post was dedicated to this so it wasn't like it was just an off the cuff comment and he did this a few times.  It was all very immature and really dragged the place down.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 20, 2013, 11:12:42 AM

Post a link so christian can check that place out.

SJ_GTI

Its funny I used to post on quite a few automotive forums, but over time got bored with most of them. CarSPIN is the only one I still post on.

SVT666

Me too, though the Spin has been getting kind of stale lately too.  I haven't been posting nearly as much the last couple months as I was prior. 

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Laconian on August 20, 2013, 05:09:50 PM

He wrote inflammatory/grossly insensitive stuff, got called on it, then wrote posts on "threats and rulebreaking will not be tolerated." Repeatedly. It was really weird.

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 20, 2013, 05:26:44 PM
Post a link so christian can check that place out.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-1980-mercury-zephyr-z7-another-cc-bites-the-dust-but-theres-plenty-more-in-reserve/

Laconian

I guess I wasn't a frequent enough reader to connect the drama dots.

12,000 RPM

Yea it was fucking bizarre. Shit got dark. One guy quit after Bertel broke the camel's back, and then Bertel fucking made fun of him :wtf: It was beyond bizarre and completely inappropriate, even for a 2 bit automotive blog. It was immaturity and crudeness that would make hounddog blush

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on August 21, 2013, 10:35:31 AM
Me too, though the Spin has been getting kind of stale lately too.  I haven't been posting nearly as much the last couple months as I was prior. 

It's not my fault you fuckers are harde to flamebait lately
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Hard?  This whole fucking forum is flamebait.  Everything turns into a ridiculous argument. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

*Everything*? You liberals and your sweeping ad hominems.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on August 21, 2013, 01:49:22 PM
Hard?  This whole fucking forum is flamebait.  Everything turns into a ridiculous argument. 

'SPINners should stop being wrong then ;).

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 21, 2013, 09:48:30 AM
Its funny I used to post on quite a few automotive forums, but over time got bored with most of them. CarSPIN is the only one I still post on.

As did I.  I gave up on C&D completely when they revamped their forum software a few years back and wiped all of the member accounts out, requiring everyone to re-register.  I contemplated re-registering, but they required way more information than I feel I should have to give to have an online forum account (more than just a valid email address).  R&T was dying before that, so I gave up on that place long before they also revamped.  There was a 3rd site that was created similarly to the Spin by some former R&T members who got fed up with the poor moderation of R&T.  That place gradually evolved into more of a general talk forum, started losing membership and post volume, and then the guy who started it (and owned the domain) lost interest and stopped maintaining things and then eventually just shut the place down completely.  So this has ended up being pretty much it for me as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

I have def narrowed it down to ~4 forums. 2 of which I only post in ~2 threads on. I was already signed up at 350Z forums but I don't post there.

Laconian

I used to post on a tech news discussion site but it blew up in popularity and the intimacy disappeared. Also the plague of redditors that arrived turned everything into ridiculous religious squabbles about meaningless consumer crap.

What is the sweet spot for membership? I don't think we've hit it yet. I think maybe 150 regulars would be the upper limit before things get too noisy?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on August 23, 2013, 07:51:20 PM
I used to post on a tech news discussion site but it blew up in popularity and the intimacy disappeared. Also the plague of redditors that arrived turned everything into ridiculous religious squabbles about meaningless consumer crap.

What is the sweet spot for membership? I don't think we've hit it yet. I think maybe 150 regulars would be the upper limit before things get too noisy?

I just want Omi to come back around once in a while.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Secret Chimp

I like to think he found a girl and a fine job where he's making big dough and doesn't need to tell us about his silly troubles any more.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 23, 2013, 08:35:25 PM
I like to think he found a girl and a fine job where he's making big dough and doesn't need to tell us about his silly troubles any more.

:(