Cadillac Elmiraj concept

Started by Mustangfan2003, August 15, 2013, 10:19:12 PM

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on August 27, 2013, 09:48:52 AM
They could use a Corvette engine and I don't think anyone would notice anything amiss.
The problem with auto makers is that they disclose everything from platform sharing, to engines, transmissions, and electronics, and auto reviewers make up their minds before they even drive the car.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on August 27, 2013, 10:23:03 AM
The problem with auto makers is that they disclose everything from platform sharing, to engines, transmissions, and electronics, and auto reviewers make up their minds before they even drive the car.

Yup. A Corvette engine would probably feel similar to a big AMG engine, but since it's not associated with luxury it's too rough and harsh.

Laconian

Just call it the GM Omega Alpha Kappa II. :huh:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 27, 2013, 10:48:00 AM
Yup. A Corvette engine would probably feel similar to a big AMG engine, but since it's not associated with luxury it's too rough and harsh.

You would also have people like Cougs who wouldn't buy one because it has a pooprod engine...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Cookie Monster

YEE BUDDY I FOUND THE EASTER EGG WORD
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

pooprod

A little on the nose, isn't it?   :lol:

EDIT:  Doesn't work if it's capitalized!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Nothing wrong with the corvette motor, in a corvette.

That's what I'm talking about, pull a motor from a chevy and slap that 90K flagship together. Lets use a steering wheel from an aveo while we're at it.

I really don't see this as being hard, it's a flagship. It's low production, it represents the brand and brings people to your showroom. You aren't going to make a shit ton of money off of it.

Simple formula really.

Large, elegant yet bold styling.
Fine materials, luxury this and that, CRAFTSMANSHIP(get some had finished wood in there), etc
and make a statement with the motor for christs sake. Personally I'd push for a V16 if I were the one in charge of the project, it would cost little more than making a clean sheet 12. A 16 would make
a hell of a bigger(and louder) statement in the luxury world. Slap a price on it(90,100,110K range) and sell a few thousand a year.

Of course it will lose money, if your lucky it will break even. But think of the image it will bring, and then think of all the money you've pissed away getting celebrities to try and push your cars. No comparison, IMO.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 27, 2013, 11:16:27 AM

You missed the point.  If GM didn't tell anyone it was Corvette motor or that it was a pushrod and they covered it with a fancy plastic cover, nobody would know the difference.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT666 on August 27, 2013, 11:34:33 AM
You missed the point.  If GM didn't tell anyone it was Corvette motor or that it was a pushrod and they covered it with a fancy plastic cover, nobody would know the difference.

No, I didn't.

MOST people wouldn't know the difference, alot would though.

Contrary to what most want to believe, I think a discerning luxury customer would notice. They wouldn't be able to specify exactly that it's the motor or it's design that's the problem. But my guess is you would here remarks about NVH or other things that would relate to the motor.

SVT666

I disagree.  There is no noticeable difference in NVH.

Laconian

The Vette motor would be operating super slowly 95% of the time, anyways.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Secret Chimp

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 27, 2013, 11:44:09 AM
No, I didn't.

MOST people wouldn't know the difference, alot would though.

Contrary to what most want to believe, I think a discerning luxury customer would notice. They wouldn't be able to specify exactly that it's the motor or it's design that's the problem. But my guess is you would here remarks about NVH or other things that would relate to the motor.

I don't think most buyers are "discerning luxury customers" to that point.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

12,000 RPM

The 90K luxury sedan segment is irrelevant. 2012 was the first year of the A8's existence that it sold more than 6000 copies in the US (it beat that figure by 2). The 7 series sales figures are 1/3-1/2 what they were at its peak. Same story with the S Class. The LS is even worse off, with sales damn near 1/4 what they were at its peak in the last 10 years (never mind its debut), and many of its sales going to fleets, I think. In the city I saw a lot of LS doing executive cab duty... nobody's dream car is a 2013 LS.

In the US, the new status symbol is the luxury SUV or the Panamera. Europeans will never buy American luxury cars; their nationalism won't allow it. The few breakout successes of the last decade in the luxury realm have been the 300C (a stretch I know), the CTS, the little baby Range, and the CLS. Why would Caddy make their flagship in a body style nobody wants or cares about? Instead of a 3 series w/3 series pricing and a retarded HVAC interface, or a 90K flagship destined to go the way of the Phaeton, Caddy should focus on entering segments and markets of growth. These companies are in the business of making a point only to the extent that it makes them money. Lexus' revenue from the LS in the US didn't even account for 5% of the company's overall revenue :wtf: Why the fuck would Caddy dump money into a flagship that would net them no money?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 27, 2013, 11:16:27 AM

That's what I'm talking about, pull a motor from a chevy and slap that 90K flagship together. Lets use a steering wheel from an aveo while we're at it.

I really don't see this as being hard, it's a flagship. It's low production, it represents the brand and brings people to your showroom. You aren't going to make a shit ton of money off of it.

Simple formula really.

Large, elegant yet bold styling.
Fine materials, luxury this and that, CRAFTSMANSHIP(get some had finished wood in there), etc
and make a statement with the motor for christs sake. Personally I'd push for a V16 if I were the one in charge of the project, it would cost little more than making a clean sheet 12. A 16 would make
a hell of a bigger(and louder) statement in the luxury world. Slap a price on it(90,100,110K range) and sell a few thousand a year.

Of course it will lose money, if your lucky it will break even. But think of the image it will bring, and then think of all the money you've pissed away getting celebrities to try and push your cars. No comparison, IMO.

This is like saying the LFA helped Lexus sales (it didn't)

GM doesn't have that kind of money to throw away. They need a flagship that is visibile but also profitable and will move volume. A store brand A7 based on the XTS sounds like a better idea to me.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 27, 2013, 02:04:38 PM
The 90K luxury sedan segment is irrelevant. 2012 was the first year of the A8's existence that it sold more than 6000 copies in the US (it beat that figure by 2). The 7 series sales figures are 1/3-1/2 what they were at its peak. Same story with the S Class. The LS is even worse off, with sales damn near 1/4 what they were at its peak in the last 10 years (never mind its debut), and many of its sales going to fleets, I think. In the city I saw a lot of LS doing executive cab duty... nobody's dream car is a 2013 LS.

In the US, the new status symbol is the luxury SUV or the Panamera. Europeans will never buy American luxury cars; their nationalism won't allow it. The few breakout successes of the last decade in the luxury realm have been the 300C (a stretch I know), the CTS, the little baby Range, and the CLS. Why would Caddy make their flagship in a body style nobody wants or cares about? Instead of a 3 series w/3 series pricing and a retarded HVAC interface, or a 90K flagship destined to go the way of the Phaeton, Caddy should focus on entering segments and markets of growth. These companies are in the business of making a point only to the extent that it makes them money. Lexus' revenue from the LS in the US didn't even account for 5% of the company's overall revenue :wtf: Why the fuck would Caddy dump money into a flagship that would net them no money?

Interestingly, A8 production (and I presume sales) spiked considerably starting in 2011.  They went from consistently making ~21K cars a year (with 22.5K being their best year) to over 35K in both 2011 and 2012.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: thecarnut on August 27, 2013, 11:03:31 AM
You would also have people like Cougs who wouldn't buy one because it has a pooprod engine...

There's a very good reason why GM spent $1B developing the ~300hp Northstar for Cadillac rather than simply using the 300 hp LT1 from the Corvette (the Northstar was a much more refined engine).

Vinsanity

Quote from: GoCougs on August 27, 2013, 07:17:33 PM
There's a very good reason why GM spent $1B developing the ~300hp Northstar for Cadillac rather than simply using the 300 hp LT1 from the Corvette (the Northstar was a much more refined engine).

In hindsight, I'm not sure if that was a wise decision. Early N*s blew headgaskets like clockwork, and when the design hit a developmental dead-end around ~2010, it left Cadillac with no V8, with the exception of, you guessed it, a Chevy-derived small-block.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on August 27, 2013, 07:17:33 PM

And that reason was?

Which engine line is still with us today?

SVT666

Northstar was a good engine, but it wasn't a great engine.

GoCougs

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 27, 2013, 07:30:28 PM
In hindsight, I'm not sure if that was a wise decision. Early N*s blew headgaskets like clockwork, and when the design hit a developmental dead-end around ~2010, it left Cadillac with no V8, with the exception of, you guessed it, a Chevy-derived small-block.

It had issues, sure (Google what it takes a change a starter motor!) but when introduced in MY1993 it was world class, and outclassed the P O O P R O D small block . That GM dropped the ball by not advancing the engine during its ~17 year lifespan isn't the engine's fault. To compete with the A8, S-class, 7er, LS460, etc., Cadillac needs a proper DOHC V8 with VVTL (or, maybe the new CTS-V's 420 hp TTV6). One thing for sure, it won't be some P O O P R O D motor.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 27, 2013, 08:44:50 PM
And that reason was?

Which engine line is still with us today?

P O O P R O D.

Vinsanity

Quote from: GoCougs on August 27, 2013, 10:30:31 PM
It had issues, sure (Google what it takes a change a starter motor!) but when introduced in MY1993 it was world class, and outclassed the P O O P R O D small block . That GM dropped the ball by not advancing the engine during its ~17 year lifespan isn't the engine's fault. To compete with the A8, S-class, 7er, LS460, etc., Cadillac needs a proper DOHC V8 with VVTL (or, maybe the new CTS-V's 420 hp TTV6). One thing for sure, it won't be some P O O P R O D motor.

IIRC, there was something about the engine's design that prevented it from gaining displacement (which was the apparent solution to keeping it competitive; M-B massaged their V8 to 5.5 liters, and BMW to 5.0)

SVT666

From what I recall it was also a PITA to do any kind of work on.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on August 28, 2013, 12:03:15 AM
From what I recall it was also a PITA to do any kind of work on.
Which apparently it needed a lot of

It seems like GM didn't really master the OHC engine until after the Northstar died.

CJ

How am I agreeing with Cougs? He is absolutely right here. The Northstar WAS a damn good engine in 1993, but then stupid GM issues kept holding it back. The lack of continuous development, maintenance woes, etc. Head gaskets seemed to be the biggest thing that 90s GM couldn't get right. They were able to get nearly 300 HP from 4.6 liters in 1993? That's superb. It was a great engine for packaging, as well as being effortless and smooth - everything a good engine in a luxury car should do.

SVT666

CJ

FlatBlackCaddy

The problem with the northstar was that GM does what it always does. Takes time to develop something, toss it out into the market and NEGLECT NEGLECT NEGLECT it until it's a laughing stock.

3.0L V6

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 28, 2013, 11:41:32 AM
The problem with the northstar was that GM does what it always does. Takes time to develop something, toss it out into the market and NEGLECT NEGLECT NEGLECT it until it's a laughing stock.

Yeah, they never seemed to devote a lot of energy to developing one good engine line during the '80s, '90s and 2000s. They would launch new engines (Northstar, 4.2L Atlas inline-6, 3.8L turbo V6, 3.5L Shortstar V6, etc., etc.) and then let them rot on the vine. If they had bothered to develop and refine one design, it likely would have been cheaper than tooling up for these engines and then scrapping them 5-10 years later.

It seems they've learned that lesson now.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on August 27, 2013, 08:05:31 AM
You can't charge top dollar for a subpar product.  The XLR was not as good as the SL, but cost just about as much, that's why it failed.

The XLR drove great, the Northstar actually sounded great in it, and it looked awesome. I think it mostly suffered from general GM quality issues. When I pressed the touch screen, for example, it began to "sink" into the dash. When I pushed other buttons, they wobbled and the housing around certain dash components came loose. The springs in the mirrors notoriously would fail and the mirror would just slump down. The LCD screen was nowhere near as robust as the SL (hell, it wasn't as robust as an entry level C-Class). Stabilitrak always caused issues. Lots of MILs popping up.

It was a great idea that was executed poorly. The styling was right on, giving it a nice V8 was the way to go, and going after the SL from an American perspective was an awesome idea. I just wish that they could've done it without so many compromises.