Yippee. (was: Grrrr. The car buying experience.)

Started by Byteme, August 19, 2013, 06:22:41 PM

Byteme

:banghead:

[rant]

So, I haven't found my XK8 yet and the hunt is getting old.  The latest one popped up in Little Rock and was overpriced, IMO.  After exchanging e-mails and phone calls I told the dealer I'd pass;  Today he e-mailed me to tell me I was right, they wholesaled the car because it needed "thousands in repairs".  Every XK8 I've looked at heeded work.

Anyway we decided to enlarge the search.  We added 2001-2006 MB CLK320 convertibles and SLK320s to the search.  (I can picture Wimmer doing a victory dance.) 

Promptly found a 2001 CLK for a decent price in St. Louis; red w/ white leather.   Offered by a MB dealer who took it in trade.  Called early this morning, the proud new owner (not me dammit) was signing the check as I called.    Grrrr.  We were ready to put down a deposit and drive up tomorrow.

Found a low mileage SLK even closer, red and charcoal.  Very good price.  Called and was told the salesman would have to track it down.  He called back and said the dealership owner was driving it and it wasn't for sale even though it was advertised.  And no, the owner wasn't interested in discussing it.

This is getting frustrating. 

[/rant]

12,000 RPM

Man I feel you on that. At least you have time though.

Why not throw some 3 series in the mix
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

3 Series doesn't exactly fit with SLKs and XK8s.

With all these XK8s needing lots of repairs, I would take this as an indication that the car was a piece of shit and I should steer clear.

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 19, 2013, 06:47:29 PM
Man I feel you on that. At least you have time though.

Why not throw some 3 series in the mix

But I lack the patience.   :lol:

A blue 3, no doubt.   ;)

As SVT points out a 3 isn't what I seek. 

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Byteme

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 19, 2013, 07:58:10 PM
Weren't you against German cars?

:huh:

I kind of like the looks of the older CLKs and SLKs.  And they are fairly reliable.

Morris Minor

We've been pretty happy with the CLK350. It's nicely put together, better than anything else I've owned. Only complaints are the prodigious amounts of brake dust (it's a German thing) and the Nav system that's so indecipherable it's nearly useless.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

mzziaz

This is God's way of telling you to get a Lotus Espirit instead.
Cuore Sportivo

FlatBlackCaddy

The jags are money pits?

Well, I'll be a sunofabitch.

Xer0

I don't know what your budget looks like, but have you thought of possibly also adding an SL to the list? 

Byteme

The die is cast.

We drove to Kansas City today and bought a 2003 CLK320.  85000 miles on the clock with a flawless body and interior.  I mean absolutely no scratches ,dents or dings; two pin sized rock chips on the driver's door that a dab of touch up paint will cover nicely.    Color is a light jade green or pale turquoise (take your pick).  $2000 under KBB.  The thing feels solid as a rock.  Everything works perfectly and it drives very nicely.  Not quite as beautiful as the XK8 but hey, everything works.   :lol:

Only drawback is they only had one of the electronic keys.  So,I guess I'll grab a tube of KY jelly (to ease the pain) and head to the MB dealer for a second key.

Amazingly, on the drive back from KC, with the top down and the cruise set on 73 MPH in the interstate I was averaging 31.2 MPG. 

I'll post some pics as soon as I knock off the bugs from the trip home (we got in at 11:30 PM yesterday) and do a bit of detailing.   

Byteme

Quote from: Xer0 on August 20, 2013, 04:58:57 PM
I don't know what your budget looks like, but have you thought of possibly also adding an SL to the list?
We considered an SLK320, but couldn't find anything we liked within 1000 miles.  The CLK we just bought was available, looked good, was in very good shape and reasonably close (335 miles one way, about 5 hours) so we bought it.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Wow, this is unexpected. Congrats on your CLK320 purchase. It's a beautiful car for sure.  :cheers:

We had the same motor in our ex-2002 E320 Avantgarde and to me it was always smooth and fairly powerful (and reliable).

Post some photos soon! We'd love to see it!  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

I've always liked the CLK, a little bummed you didn't wait for the XK though it's a cut above. But you've owned jags so your cool card is still intact. Congrats!
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SJ_GTI

SVT666

I think you would have regretted getting the Jag.  Good choice.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Byteme

CAUTION:  This post just reeks of history and heritage.   :rolleyes: 

Here aresome pics I just took.  Note that this last weekend I tiled the garage floor. 

The order is random.  All of the wheels are as unblmished as the one I show here. 

Why a picture of the hat?  I got that free from the dealer.  I forgot my hat I wear when Idrivea car with the top down so I told the salesman, after we agreed on a price, that I needed a full tank of premium and a ball cap thrown in. 

TBR

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on August 21, 2013, 10:15:47 AM
I think you would have regretted getting the Jag.  Good choice.

The damn things, up to and including the 2006 versions, are just so damn good looking.  Itod my wife the XK* is like being married to a drop dead beautiful woman with a crack habit.  When she's functional she's wonderful, whenshe needs fixed (needs her fix), which is often, she's an expensive pain in the ass.

Morris Minor

:ohyeah:
Congratulations. I'll be really interested to hear what you do to fettle it into the shape you want. Have not done much to our CLK other than put the water repellant stuff on the roof.

FlatBlackCaddy

Didn't you sell the miata? what's with the trunk hanging on the wall?

Lebowski

Are you CLKJohn now?  Or are you keeping the Miata?

Byteme

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 21, 2013, 07:09:24 PM
Didn't you sell the miata? what's with the trunk hanging on the wall?

Quote from: Lebowski on August 21, 2013, 07:11:06 PM
Are you CLKJohn now?  Or are you keeping the Miata?

Call me anything but don't call me late for dinner.   :lol:

The Miata is for sale.  I was planning on drafting a craigslist entry this evening

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 21, 2013, 06:58:39 PM
:ohyeah:
Congratulations. I'll be really interested to hear what you do to fettle it into the shape you want. Have not done much to our CLK other than put the water repellant stuff on the roof.

Not much to do.  Polish and wax, pull the wheels for a complete cleaning.  That and hardwire the radar detector.  I hate those power cords draped allover the dash..

Morris Minor

Before you go to an M-B dealer for an extra key, consider finding an automotive locksmith.

I did this for my daughter's Prius, and the guy charged about 1/3rd of dealer retail. He had all the gear, the needed software, knew the intricacies of the programming and, unprompted, fixed it so the "lost" key  was no longer associated with my car.

Lebowski

I just use the invisicord to the mirror, it's a pretty simple install.

Morris Minor