Next gen Titan to offer Cummins V8

Started by Mustangfan2003, August 20, 2013, 03:47:50 PM

Tave

Quote from: Rupert on August 27, 2013, 02:52:37 AM
As has been covered, big trucks are pretty terrible offroaders, but pulling someone out isn't proof of anything. That Rubicon would eat your LR for lunch on a real offroad trail.

Though that's about all the Wrangler/CJs are good for...

The old ones were painful on the tarmac. The new ones have a nice ride but a ton of body roll. If you can get used to the motion, which is a legitimate gripe, it's not a bad highway vehicle. I thought it was fun when I was carsitting one awhile back, but I don't know about long term ownership.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

hotrodalex

I didn't notice excess body roll on the new Unlimited I test drove. It wandered in the lane quite a bit, though.

SVT666

My Explorer has more body roll than the new Wrangler.  The Wrangler wanders on the highway though, but I would still take one any day of the week.  I love the 4 door version.

Tave

The track is so wide and short and turn-in so sharp that it does wander a little on road if you aren't paying attention. The 4-door is a little better in that regard. I don't agree with either of you on the roll though, I feel half like a drunken sailor in that thing. The transitions are smooth, and it never feels unstable, but you definitely experience a pronounced side-to-side weight transfer.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

hotrodalex

I only drove it on city/suburban streets so it might not have been as noticeable.

Tave

The 4 door is better on the roll too, but still noticeable IMO.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on August 27, 2013, 10:35:45 AM
The track is so wide and short and turn-in so sharp that it does wander a little on road if you aren't paying attention. The 4-door is a little better in that regard. I don't agree with either of you on the roll though, I feel half like a drunken sailor in that thing. The transitions are smooth, and it never feels unstable, but you definitely experience a pronounced side-to-side weight transfer.
I never said the roll wasn't pronounced, I just said my Explorer's is worse.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on August 26, 2013, 10:15:11 PM
I can see the fun in an ATV or jet ski.  Boats, horses, and RVs are totally lost on me.

Boats I get because I like the water.  Horses I get because I can see the appeal, they're just not for me.  ATVs sound like fun, but I think I'd like to try a hovercraft instead.  Jet skis are for douches only.  I don't get RVs at all.  I want to shit in a bucket next to my bed and then drive it around!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Wrangler is terribad on pavement, but a boss offroad.  I'd rather go with an Xterra.

TurboDan

Quote from: SVT666 on August 27, 2013, 10:27:23 AM
My Explorer has more body roll than the new Wrangler.  The Wrangler wanders on the highway though, but I would still take one any day of the week.  I love the 4 door version.

I test drove a Wrangler and, while cool for what it is, I wouldn't have been able to live with one day in and day out. The interior also sucked balls, although the new ones in a certain trim (forget which one) are actually pretty nice, so I'd consider one next time around. There's no way I'd ride around with mud tires, though, or anything of the sort, which kind of brings the off-road capability down to that of a competent-but-limited SUV anyway. Wranglers also tend to perform not-so-great in soft beach sand (in my observation of living at the beach my whole life) which is the primary off-road surface I drive on. But I'd still try one out as my next vehicle, assuming the interior issues are resolved, which I think they are. I've always really liked Jeeps, in general.

I like Xterras but the interiors are horrific and the options packages are abysmal. If you don't care about that stuff (and LOTS of people do not) they're good in the "bang for the buck" sense. The prices on them are usually pretty spectacular.

I personally think the best blend of off-road and daily driver is the 4Runner. It's a little big for my taste, though, which prevented me from considering it. But that's just a matter of personal preference. Most people would be cool with the size. I probably would too at this point, after driving an SUV for almost two years.

hotrodalex

I drove a Modern Warfare 3 edition (4 door) that had all the options and a decently nice interior. Too bad about the silly video game branding.

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on August 27, 2013, 09:27:30 AM
The old ones were painful on the tarmac. The new ones have a nice ride but a ton of body roll. If you can get used to the motion, which is a legitimate gripe, it's not a bad highway vehicle. I thought it was fun when I was carsitting one awhile back, but I don't know about long term ownership.

Other than the ridiculous roll and sometimes scary handling, they drive OK-ish, but they're still NVH nightmares. I've only driven the Rubicon 4-doors, though.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on August 27, 2013, 10:44:01 AM
I never said the roll wasn't pronounced, I just said my Explorer's is worse.

I've driven both, and I disagree (though the Exploder does have worse-than-average roll).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on September 03, 2013, 12:21:28 PM
Other than the ridiculous roll and sometimes scary handling, they drive OK-ish, but they're still NVH nightmares. I've only driven the Rubicon 4-doors, though.

The four door TJs were still miles better than the earlier Jeeps.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Oh yes, absolutely. It's just that the earlier Jeeps were light years behind everything else.

Mustangfan2003

So back to the original story, Toyota might get into the game next

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/02/toyota-tundra-cummins-diesel-engine/

More head explosions from Cougs

hotrodalex

Hey guys, let's just make every truck exactly the same!

Mustangfan2003

Well you can chose between a Freightliner or a Kenworth with the same Cummins engine. 

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 03, 2013, 10:00:00 PM

Fine by me. Truck enthusiasm should be discouraged

S204STi

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on September 03, 2013, 09:44:15 PM
So back to the original story, Toyota might get into the game next

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/02/toyota-tundra-cummins-diesel-engine/

More head explosions from Cougs

:lol:

I wish GM would take their own small-displacement V8 diesel out of mothballs and give it a whirl.  It was designed with reverse-flow heads and a turbo in the valley, similar to the BMW turbo V8s, gas or diesel.

Tave

Quote from: Rupert on September 03, 2013, 12:21:28 PM

You know that's another legit gripe. About a year before I drove the 2-door, my friend had a Rubicon 4-door for a summer. We had a blast taking it camping, but the NVH and appointment-fit items were unbelievably bad. Interior bits creaked and squawked all over.

IMO, the 2-door was a lot better. The plastics were cheaper but the interior feels more buttoned-down.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: S204STi on September 04, 2013, 08:27:46 AM
:lol:

I wish GM would take their own small-displacement V8 diesel out of mothballs and give it a whirl.  It was designed with reverse-flow heads and a turbo in the valley, similar to the BMW turbo V8s, gas or diesel.

I think GM was even considering using that engine for Cadillac to help meet CAFE standards.  Maybe this will make Ford and GM go back to their plans for half ton diesels. 

S204STi

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on September 04, 2013, 10:54:42 AM
I think GM was even considering using that engine for Cadillac to help meet CAFE standards.  Maybe this will make Ford and GM go back to their plans for half ton diesels. 

I'm pretty sure most of the R&D has already be completed.  May need some tweaks for new standards WRT DPFs and DEF exhaust treatment, but that shouldn't impact the basics of the package.  The new high-voltage glow-plug system in the current 6.6 allows for instant startup, too.

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 03, 2013, 10:00:00 PM

They're not already all the same? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: S204STi on September 04, 2013, 11:07:14 AM
I'm pretty sure most of the R&D has already be completed.  May need some tweaks for new standards WRT DPFs and DEF exhaust treatment, but that shouldn't impact the basics of the package.  The new high-voltage glow-plug system in the current 6.6 allows for instant startup, too.

I'm pretty sure that engine was ready to go but GM backed out when they nearly went bust.  Ford was going to use a Land Rover diesel but I don't know if they are still doing the engine production for them anymore or not.

S204STi

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on September 04, 2013, 03:38:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that engine was ready to go but GM backed out when they nearly went bust.  Ford was going to use a Land Rover diesel but I don't know if they are still doing the engine production for them anymore or not.

Yeah, it was a combination of financial problems, and dropping gas prices making the diesel seem less economically viable.