Driver runs over bikers at rally, proceeds to get chased down and beaten.

Started by S204STi, September 30, 2013, 01:30:53 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Watched that on another site. Don't know what happened before the recording started but,

It looks like they swarmed the truck and got them to stop, prior to stopping you can see a bike next to the drivers side either yelling or talking to them. Once stopped it looks like someone in front gets off the bike and starts moving toward the truck. Apparently the guy had his wife and child in the vehicle, and it's possible he feared for his safety. Of course chasing him down after the incident and trying to open his door or apprehend him only made a bad situation worse.

I've seen this mentality before in large groups of motorcyclists. I admit, I've contemplated the scenario long before I saw this video. My conclusion was the exact thing depicted in this video.

Raza

Looks like they were intentionally slowing the Range Rover down, then there was an accidental collision and the bikers escalated the issue and the driver of the Range thought he had to get out of there. 

A swarm of motorcyclists that ended up attacking the vehicle really has me siding with the driver here.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were threatening before the video started and for the portion of the video where we couldn't really see what was going on. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on September 30, 2013, 02:16:01 PM
Looks like they were intentionally slowing the Range Rover down, then there was an accidental collision and the bikers escalated the issue and the driver of the Range thought he had to get out of there. 

A swarm of motorcyclists that ended up attacking the vehicle really has me siding with the driver here.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were threatening before the video started and for the portion of the video where we couldn't really see what was going on. 

Definitely looked like that first rider tried to cause something. The fact is the rover driver did stop. We don't see clearly why he decided to go again, but escaping a threatening situation may be in fact what he needed to do at that point.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 30, 2013, 02:28:55 PM
Definitely looked like that first rider tried to cause something. The fact is the rover driver did stop. We don't see clearly why he decided to go again, but escaping a threatening situation may be in fact what he needed to do at that point.

From what I was reading, there was a second video posted on the Daily Mail that showed that the bikers were attempting to or did open up his door after the original collision.  If I were in a large car with my family on board and a bunch of bikers tried to get into the car, I'd react exactly the same way.  Barrel through and get on the phone to the police. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on September 30, 2013, 02:37:39 PM
From what I was reading, there was a second video posted on the Daily Mail that showed that the bikers were attempting to or did open up his door after the original collision.  If I were in a large car with my family on board and a bunch of bikers tried to get into the car, I'd react exactly the same way.  Barrel through and get on the phone to the police. 

That's in that video, near the end. They weren't trying to talk to him. They sure as hell weren't just trying to get a license plate and call the cops, and the only person that ended up in the hospital about this was the Rover driver. Whatever happened right at the first may be debatable(sure as hell looks like the rider was trying to brake check the dude and tapped; not hit, not run over; tapped), but what happened after isn't.

This is the kind of situation that could have gotten a lot worse very easily.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Byteme

It's hard to tell what started the problem.  We see bikers whipping closely by on either side of the SUV and one guy who virtually stops in front of it on what looks like a three lane highway.  From that perspective the bikers appear to have started the whole thing. 

What happened before this clip?  I'd bet it doesn't make the bikers look like model citizens or it would have been included by the biker that posted it.  Riding like a pack of dicks is hardly a way to gain respect.  Note that about halfway through the clip a biker in a red jacket in the right lane flips the finger at a motorist trying to enter the highway.

Gotta-Qik-C7

That's a mess!! I've seen shit like this happens and it's usually after a car damn near hits a biker! If the guy in the Rover didn't do anything wrong he shudda B Lined to the nearest police station or been on the phone calling for help! I can understand the anger especially after this guy has run over bikes at least 3 times!!! But in the end its just sad to see a day of fun turn into something like this!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FlatBlackCaddy

Certainly could have been much worse. The obvious thought is that if the driver were armed he would have had plenty of cause to fire on the guy breaking his window. Also another rider starts hitting the drivers side passenger window. If he had a child in the vehicle that would be pretty obvious intent to harm everyone in the car.

Frankly, it looks like these bikers are your standard bunch of "safety in numbers" cocks that swarm around on the highways. Looking to intimidate and "own" the road. They are lucky 3 or 4 of them didn't go home in body bags with a few slugs in them.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on September 30, 2013, 04:38:36 PM
That's a mess!! I've seen shit like this happens and it's usually after a car damn near hits a biker! If the guy in the Rover didn't do anything wrong he shudda B Lined to the nearest police station or been on the phone calling for help! I can understand the anger especially after this guy has run over bikes at least 3 times!!! But in the end its just sad to see a day of fun turn into something like this!

This happened in a span of 5 minutes(from the start of the video/incident, until he was stopped in traffic). Cops wouldn't have responded that fast(and if they did, probably couldn't get through the bikers). I would, however, be interested to hear the 911 call this man or his wife(if she was with him) made for assistance. If they called at all.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

"I saw these guys yesterday, the bikers, and what a pack of assholes they were. Splitting lanes on the highway at speed (70mph between 2 cars), cutting people off. They had me boxed in so I couldn't get out of an exit only lane so they could get off. Not saying they deserve to be hit, but they had it coming.

I had my blinker on and was handsignalling I needed to get out of the exit only lane. everyone kept passing on the left to cut me off in front of the exit, 4-5 of them flipped me off. I tried rolling slow but they had no inkling of how to ride well. I ride myself, and this was just heinous."

Sounds like a group of jackasses to me.

12,000 RPM

Just some context, this was a huge bike rally w/no kind of permits or input from the city

Cops actually came out to break it up

Had it been official the cops would have left a lane for RR dude and the rest of traffic to move on and avoid this whole situation.

Dude shouldn't have ran over the bikes but the bikers 100% created the situation and were fucking idiots.

J86

idiot bikers.  gotta love the fact that one of their own (dumbass who filmed it) is gonna be the one who hangs his buddies

TurboDan

Another case for right to carry...

TurboDan

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on September 30, 2013, 04:38:36 PM
But in the end its just sad to see a day of fun turn into something like this!

From what I understand, this isn't a "day of fun," but rather a criminal convention. The cops have denied permits for them to have this "bike weekend" on public NYC streets for years, and there are a bunch of people arrested every time they come anyway. This year they also confiscated 55 bikes.

It sounds more like a bunch of thugs causing trouble than anything else...

TurboDan

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 30, 2013, 07:53:48 PM
Dude shouldn't have ran over the bikes but the bikers 100% created the situation and were fucking idiots.

What else could he have done, though? Staying still in the car while an angry mob is there punching in the windows didn't work out too well for Reginald Denny. If a group had me surrounded and was trying to bust in my windows I'd floor it and hope I could get to safety. At that point, it's a life or death situation.

S204STi

Who knows how this got to this point, but running over bikes, nearly killing several riders... all of that was needless escalation.  If he was really trying to just protect himself, getting on the horn with the Police and meeting a trooper on the road makes more sense.

Rich

Is there anything else the driver could have done in this situation?  What would you have done? (If the driver isn't the aggressor, which in this case he may have been)

I'm not really sure what I'd do if I had a group of bikers after me with a wife and kid in the car
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

Quote from: S204STi on September 30, 2013, 11:16:11 PM
Who knows how this got to this point, but running over bikes, nearly killing several riders... all of that was needless escalation.  If he was really trying to just protect himself, getting on the horn with the Police and meeting a trooper on the road makes more sense.

I don't think the police could have responded that fast
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Soup DeVille

And the cops might have been there in time to wash the blood off the road. Might not have been.

Sorry, but I'm not going to blame the guy for not waiting around to find out.

12,000 RPM

How could the police get to him? The bikes set up a huge barrier around him.

Something else to note: a LOT of the dirt bikes + quads out there were not legal. Whoever said this was a criminal convention was on the money.

This idea that in any kind of car + bike confrontation the biker is always innocent is false. These guys make a legit case for the outright banning of bikes, if not much more stringent licensing etc...

giant_mtb

Yeah what the hell's up with all the dirt bikes? Why would anyone in NYC have a dirt bike?  Are there trails in Central Park? :lol:

S204STi

What I'm saying is that his response points to a sense of guilt.  If I had accidentally tapped that first rider in the film, I would have stopped, gotten out, and attended to him, regardless of his pals.  It's just the right thing to do.  The fact that he launches over three or four bikes afterward in an attempt to get away, is evidence in my mind that he knew he was in deep shit because of what he just did.  I'm not necessarily defending the rally, because frankly I can't stand them and the way it fucks up road travel, but ramming a cyclist is the penultimate road rage expression in response to an inconvenience.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on October 01, 2013, 07:22:08 AM
What I'm saying is that his response points to a sense of guilt.  If I had accidentally tapped that first rider in the film, I would have stopped, gotten out, and attended to him, regardless of his pals.  It's just the right thing to do.  The fact that he launches over three or four bikes afterward in an attempt to get away, is evidence in my mind that he knew he was in deep shit because of what he just did.  I'm not necessarily defending the rally, because frankly I can't stand them and the way it fucks up road travel, but ramming a cyclist is the penultimate road rage expression in response to an inconvenience.

He did stop, though, didn't he? For whatever reason (unclear on this video, clearer on others), he decided he needed to get out of there, and the actions and attitudes of the bikers around him make me think something was going on ,ore than just being inconvenienced.

Oh, and do we have to mention again that the Rover driver was the only party in this that ended up in the hospital?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: S204STi on October 01, 2013, 07:22:08 AM
The dude was assaulted/slashed by one of the bikers, IIRC, before he ran over the bikes. Its easy to say, 'he should have stayed calm and did x y z' but this was a clear fight or flight situation, created entirely by these goofy ass bikers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 01, 2013, 07:49:27 AM
The dude was assaulted/slashed by one of the bikers, IIRC, before he ran over the bikes. Its easy to say, 'he should have stayed calm and did x y z' but this was a clear fight or flight situation, created entirely by these goofy ass bikers.

I'm not entirely sure exactly when the driver was slashed, but even if he was attacked afterwards, that surely goes towards the position that he was in danger before.

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 01, 2013, 07:25:33 AM
He did stop, though, didn't he? For whatever reason (unclear on this video, clearer on others), he decided he needed to get out of there, and the actions and attitudes of the bikers around him make me think something was going on ,ore than just being inconvenienced.

Oh, and do we have to mention again that the Rover driver was the only party in this that ended up in the hospital?
One report said one of the bikers suffered a broken leg.  That probably required hospitalization.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 01, 2013, 08:15:27 AM
One report said one of the bikers suffered a broken leg.  That probably required hospitalization.

And other reports that multiple people were killed. I'm not going to trust youtube commentators on this.

And if one of them was injured, well; he probably deserved it.