Driver runs over bikers at rally, proceeds to get chased down and beaten.

Started by S204STi, September 30, 2013, 01:30:53 PM

Byteme

Quote from: S204STi on September 30, 2013, 11:16:11 PM
Who knows how this got to this point, but running over bikes, nearly killing several riders... all of that was needless escalation.  If he was really trying to just protect himself, getting on the horn with the Police and meeting a trooper on the road makes more sense.

The needless escalation was the one biker dick stopping his crotch rocket in front of the SUV.

Yeah, better to stay there and get the crap beat out of yourself and your family.

the cops don't teleport into the scene of the crime.  it takes time to ge there.  What's going to happen to this guy and his family while 911 transfers information to the police andthey respond.   

I suspect he was really hoping a police office would happen along during the 6 minutes of that video.  It would have been really interesting to see how 1 squad car and 1 or 2 cops would have calmed that mob.

Quote from: S204STi on October 01, 2013, 07:22:08 AM
What I'm saying is that his response points to a sense of guilt.  If I had accidentally tapped that first rider in the film, I would have stopped, gotten out, and attended to him, regardless of his pals.  It's just the right thing to do.  The fact that he launches over three or four bikes afterward in an attempt to get away, is evidence in my mind that he knew he was in deep shit because of what he just did.  I'm not necessarily defending the rally, because frankly I can't stand them and the way it fucks up road travel, but ramming a cyclist is the penultimate road rage expression in response to an inconvenience.

Or he feared for the safety of his wife and child,not to mention his own safety. 

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 30, 2013, 04:14:56 PM
This vid makes me angry. I hate "bikers" like this

Yup.  They make you all look bad.  And I mean "you all" as in motorcycle riders, not black people this time. :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 01, 2013, 08:22:17 AM
And other reports that multiple people were killed. I'm not going to trust youtube commentators on this.

And if one of them was injured, well; he probably deserved it.

Strongly agree with your last statement.  From the CBS new site (looks like one biker got it pretty good and another less so):

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Police are looking for a group of bikers who they say are wanted in connection with an attack of a driver after chasing his SUV on the highway through Manhattan.

The NYPD released a photo early Tuesday morning of two bikers who investigators said were part of the melee. One driver has Guyana flag on the tail end of his bike and the other has a black and white design, police said.

Police said it happened Sunday on the Henry Hudson Parkway. Video of the incident, which appeared to be taken from a camera mounted on another biker's helmet, was posted to YouTube early Monday morning.

Two suspects who police say are wanted for beating up the driver of a SUV in Manhattan on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2013. (credit: NYPD)

Alexian Lien, 33, was driving his Range Rover with his wife and infant daughter in the car when police said one of the motorcycles slowed down in front of his SUV, causing a collision.

That's when at about 30 seconds into the video, the large group of bikers are seen coming to a complete stop on the highway, surrounding the Range Rover.

"They take their helmets and they start to dent his car and apparently his tires are slashed there," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Lien then hits the gas, plowing over two motorcyclists, police said.

For the next several minutes of the video, the bikers can be seen chasing the Range Rover for about 2 miles until the SUV gets off the highway at around West 178th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue, police said.

As Lien gets stuck in traffic, the bikers surround him again, police said. One of the riders is then seen in the video jumping off his bike, ripping off his helmet and using it to bash in the driver's side window.

A second biker is also seen running up and hitting the driver's side rear window with his fists.

At this point, the video stops but police said the attack continues.

Kelly said Lien is taken is out of his car and assaulted.

Witnesses described what they saw.

"He got off his bike and started attacking the person in the Range Rover with his helmet, breaking the windows and after they got him out of his car, they beat him up," said witness Christopher Quinones.

Lien was taken to the hospital where he needed stitches to his face. His wife and child were unhurt.

Police said a biker suffered two broken legs after the SUV ran over him and another suffered a leg injury. But the wife of one of the injured bikers said her husband is paralyzed and in a coma, WBZ-TV reported.

Dayana Mieses, the wife of Edwin Mieses, said her husband got off his bike to help an injured biker who was hit in the initial collision.

"He went to help someone," Dayana told WBZ-TV Tuesday morning.

Mieses said her husband has injuries to his heart, lungs and ribs and that he is paralyzed from the waist down. The couple has two children, ages 15 and 9.

"That man paralyzed my husband," Mieses said about Lien. "He needs to pay for what he did."

Mieses works in studio engineering in the music business, WBZ-TV reported. Friends call him Jay Meezee and have created a Facebook page for him.

Police said the bikers are part of a group called the "Hollywood Stuntz." This was apparently part of an annual ride designed to draw attention and make it into Times Square.

"This is a major stunt event where motorcyclists from various locations come together," Kelly said. "Quite frankly it wasn't on anybody's radar screen last year. We were aware of it this year."

In order to prevent the group from heading into Times Square this year, police set up checkpoints throughout the city. Kelly said during that effort, 15 arrests were made, 68 summonses were issues and 55 motorcycles were confiscated.

Police said the biker who was involved in the initial accident, Christopher Cruz, was arrested Tuesday on reckless endangerment, reckless driving, endangering the welfare of a child and menacing charges.

Lien has not been charged.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477), visit CrimeStoppers.com or by text tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 30, 2013, 07:53:48 PM
Just some context, this was a huge bike rally w/no kind of permits or input from the city

Cops actually came out to break it up

Had it been official the cops would have left a lane for RR dude and the rest of traffic to move on and avoid this whole situation.

Dude shouldn't have ran over the bikes but the bikers 100% created the situation and were fucking idiots.

If you're surrounded by angry bikers with your family and feel threatened, running over them to get the hell out of there is 100% the right decision.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

On a somewhat comical note, I laughed when they got the suv stopped the second time on the freeway and some dummy on a dirt bike moves in front of the suv. What a brilliant idea, since this guy just ran down a few motorcycles I figure I might as well try to block him with my bike.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2013, 08:36:40 AM
If you're surrounded by angry bikers with your family and feel threatened, running over them to get the hell out of there is 100% the right decision.

Yup, armchair critique after the fact as to the severity of the threat is always worthless.

This SUV driver had NO WAY of knowing that one of these guys wasn't armed and wouldn't start firing on his vehicle. Sure, since that didn't happen we could assume the threat wasn't there. From the drivers standpoint, in that situation, at that single moment it no doubt was a very real possibility.

Raza

Who knows how this got to this point, but running over bikes, nearly killing several riders... all of that was needless escalation.  If he was really trying to just protect himself, getting on the horn with the Police and meeting a trooper on the road makes more sense.

When 30-50 people are swarming your car, you really think honking your horn and waiting for a cop is the right idea?  It wasn't on video, but clearly there was something going on after the initial contact that prompted the SUV driver to slam on the gas and feel like he needed to get away.  It looks like pure jackassery on the part of the bikers by getting in front of him and slowing him down, which then led to the contact.  Running them over wasn't escalation, it was escape.  It's not like he backed up over them, I think it was clear that he was trying to get away.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: S204STi on October 01, 2013, 07:22:08 AM
What I'm saying is that his response points to a sense of guilt.  If I had accidentally tapped that first rider in the film, I would have stopped, gotten out, and attended to him, regardless of his pals.  It's just the right thing to do.  The fact that he launches over three or four bikes afterward in an attempt to get away, is evidence in my mind that he knew he was in deep shit because of what he just did.  I'm not necessarily defending the rally, because frankly I can't stand them and the way it fucks up road travel, but ramming a cyclist is the penultimate road rage expression in response to an inconvenience.

You're giving these guys way too much credit.  Look at the way the biker got in front of his car and was turned all the way around and was looking at the driver when the contact happened.  There's no way the bikers are innocent in the initial contact. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 01, 2013, 08:34:44 AM
Strongly agree with your last statement.  From the CBS new site (looks like one biker got it pretty good and another less so):

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Police are looking for a group of bikers who they say are wanted in connection with an attack of a driver after chasing his SUV on the highway through Manhattan.

The NYPD released a photo early Tuesday morning of two bikers who investigators said were part of the melee. One driver has Guyana flag on the tail end of his bike and the other has a black and white design, police said.

Police said it happened Sunday on the Henry Hudson Parkway. Video of the incident, which appeared to be taken from a camera mounted on another biker's helmet, was posted to YouTube early Monday morning.

Two suspects who police say are wanted for beating up the driver of a SUV in Manhattan on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2013. (credit: NYPD)

Alexian Lien, 33, was driving his Range Rover with his wife and infant daughter in the car when police said one of the motorcycles slowed down in front of his SUV, causing a collision.

That's when at about 30 seconds into the video, the large group of bikers are seen coming to a complete stop on the highway, surrounding the Range Rover.

"They take their helmets and they start to dent his car and apparently his tires are slashed there," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

For the next several minutes of the video, the bikers can be seen chasing the Range Rover for about 2 miles until the SUV gets off the highway at around West 178th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue, police said.

As Lien gets stuck in traffic, the bikers surround him again, police said. One of the riders is then seen in the video jumping off his bike, ripping off his helmet and using it to bash in the driver's side window.

A second biker is also seen running up and hitting the driver's side rear window with his fists.

"He got off his bike and started attacking the person in the Range Rover with his helmet, breaking the windows and after they got him out of his car, they beat him up," said witness Christopher Quinones.

Lien was taken to the hospital where he needed stitches to his face. His wife and child were unhurt.

Police said a biker suffered two broken legs after the SUV ran over him and another suffered a leg injury. But the wife of one of the injured bikers said her husband is paralyzed and in a coma, WBZ-TV reported.

Dayana Mieses, the wife of Edwin Mieses, said her husband got off his bike to help an injured biker who was hit in the initial collision.

Mieses said her husband has injuries to his heart, lungs and ribs and that he is paralyzed from the waist down. The couple has two children, ages 15 and 9.

"That man paralyzed my husband," Mieses said about Lien. "He needs to pay for what he did."

Mieses works in studio engineering in the music business, WBZ-TV reported. Friends call him Jay Meezee and have created a Facebook page for him.

Police said the bikers are part of a group called the "Hollywood Stuntz." This was apparently part of an annual ride designed to draw attention and make it into Times Square.

"This is a major stunt event where motorcyclists from various locations come together," Kelly said. "Quite frankly it wasn't on anybody's radar screen last year. We were aware of it this year."

In order to prevent the group from heading into Times Square this year, police set up checkpoints throughout the city. Kelly said during that effort, 15 arrests were made, 68 summonses were issues and 55 motorcycles were confiscated.

Police said the biker who was involved in the initial accident, Christopher Cruz, was arrested Tuesday on reckless endangerment, reckless driving, endangering the welfare of a child and menacing charges.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477), visit CrimeStoppers.com or by text tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.

Again; gonna trust the police over the wife.

Look at what she says; he was injured trying to help someone. Bullshit. Until the RR driver goes over the bikes, there's nobody that needs help.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 01, 2013, 08:54:01 AM
Again; gonna trust the police over the wife.

Look at what she says; he was injured trying to help someone. Bullshit. Until the RR driver goes over the bikes, there's nobody that needs help.

And yet:

"Police said the biker who was involved in the initial accident, Christopher Cruz, was arrested Tuesday on reckless endangerment, reckless driving, endangering the welfare of a child and menacing charges."

Fuck 'em.  100% with the driver here until I hear something pretty convincing otherwise.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

And if there was a guy laying in the road paralyzed, it's utterly heart warming to see how all his fellow riders stay to aid him, instead of going off chasing the guy and acting like thugs.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 01, 2013, 08:34:44 AM

Well, there you go then.  I stand corrected.  Shitheads all around.

TurboDan

I'm not sure if you realize where this happened or have ever been on this road before. The Henry Hudson Parkway (also known as the West Side Highway on lower-numbered streets) runs along the west side of Manhattan. This wasn't a situation where you could drive to safety. Eventually, traffic was going to stop or you'd be forced off the road and subject to the whims of the people potentially trying to kill you. Police officers would take a while to get there in NYC traffic on a fall weekend. This isn't the type of highway where there are troopers ready to respond at 90mph to an emergency. You're also passing by 50 city blocks (and NYPD precinct to precinct) in minutes. It is actually a pretty scary place to be involved in any emergency situation.

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 01, 2013, 06:59:11 AM
Yeah what the hell's up with all the dirt bikes? Why would anyone in NYC have a dirt bike?  Are there trails in Central Park? :lol:

Well, there are places to ride dirt bikes within minutes of NYC, but my sense is most of these guys are from the suburbs and came into the city.

Vinsanity

It's a shame the RR driver didn't run before they slashed his tires.

Cobra93

It takes a special kind of stupid to brake check an SUV when you're on a bike.  :nutty:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Not to sound like an ass but just because his kid and wife were in the car does that mean he wasn't being a dick head also! Once again I've seen people do some ill things with kids/passengers in the car! Especially towards bikers! They have that "I'm surrounded by metal and I'll run you over!" mindset! These guys didn't just single tis guy out of the blue!!! He's already on film hitting a biker and he's wrong for that no matter how slow the bike was going! If it was one of you guys in a CAR and he tapped you I'm willing to bet you guys would be ready to hand him an ass whooping for being a jackass!!! I would really like to see how all this BS started!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Vinsanity

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 01, 2013, 01:01:10 PM
Not to sound like an ass but just because his kid and wife were in the car does that mean he wasn't being a dick head also! Once again I've seen people do some ill things with kids/passengers in the car! Especially towards bikers! They have that "I'm surrounded by metal and I'll run you over!" mindset! These guys didn't just single tis guy out of the blue!!! He's already on film hitting a biker and he's wrong for that no matter how slow the bike was going! If it was one of you guys in a CAR and he tapped you I'm willing to bet you guys would be ready to hand him an ass whooping for being a jackass!!! I would really like to see how all this BS started!

The rider brake-checked the SUV. He got in front of him, turned his head around to face the driver, and hit his brakes. He was literally asking to get hit.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 01, 2013, 01:11:49 PM
The rider brake-checked the SUV. He got in front of him, turned his head around to face the driver, and hit his brakes. He was literally asking to get hit.
I agree he was stupid for pulling that shit but so was the driver for hitting him! These guys handled it all wrong but I'm not gonna say the RR driver didnt do some dumb shit too! Hell I wudda stopped and sat there till they rode away instead of hitting the biker!

Vinsanity

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 01, 2013, 01:15:57 PM
I agree he was stupid for pulling that shit but so was the driver for hitting him! These guys handled it all wrong but I'm not gonna say the RR driver didnt do some dumb shit too! Hell I wudda stopped and sat there till they rode away instead of hitting the biker!

I doubt that the RR driver hit him on purpose. That's just what happens when someone on a motorcycle swerves in front of a 5,000-lb SUV and slams on his brakes. The RR driver did stop, but the bikers didn't just ride away. Apparently, they started smashing his car with their helmets and slashing his tires. That's when he did what literally anyone else would do. Try to get the fuck outta there.

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 01, 2013, 01:01:10 PM

Do you really know that?  Do you really know that they didn't single him out for no reason?  Do you even think that?  Like seriously, when you think about it, do you still think that?  Or is it a knee-jerk reaction to defend these scum because you ride too? 

The biker caused the accident by getting in front of the SUV and hitting the brakes.  That much is clear. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Sorry man bikers were wron here, no matter how you slice it

They should have got a permit

If they didnt get a permit they should have left a lane open for other traffic (as the cops that would have accompanied them would have mandated had they got the permit)

They shouldn't have swarmed this dude

That dude shouldnt have brake checked

Like, there were so many things the motorcyclists did to create this situation, seems silly to push all that to the side to blame the RR guy once he was pushed to his limit
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Cobra93

My point is that a sportbike can stop much quicker than a 2 ton+ SUV. The RR driver may have not been able to avoid hitting him.

Raza

Why?  Why do they have the right to force other people to stop or pull over? 

The RR driver was 100% in the right. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2013, 01:34:07 PM
Do you really know that?  Do you really know that they didn't single him out for no reason?  Do you even think that?  Like seriously, when you think about it, do you still think that?  Or is it a knee-jerk reaction to defend these scum because you ride too? 

The biker caused the accident by getting in front of the SUV and hitting the brakes.  That much is clear. 
dude where do you see me defending them! I've said from beginning that this was handled all wrong! My point is what caused this?!? Do YOU know that the RR driver didn't do some stupid shit to set these guys off? No you don't. I was just saying I've seen shit like this happen and people are alway quick to blame it all on the bikers!and they were defiantly wrong for what they did! After he hit the first biker all they had to do was get his plate and let the police track him down!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 01, 2013, 01:34:46 PM
Sorry man bikers were wron here, no matter how you slice it

They should have got a permit

If they didnt get a permit they should have left a lane open for other traffic (as the cops that would have accompanied them would have mandated had they got the permit)

They shouldn't have swarmed this dude

That dude shouldnt have brake checked

Like, there were so many things the motorcyclists did to create this situation, seems silly to push all that to the side to blame the RR guy once he was pushed to his limit
Even if they had a lane blocked off there's always some cater that breaks the line! So that's no garuantee that someone in a car that feels like they have more rite to be on the road than bikes won't do some dumb shit! And once again I'm talking from almost 30 years of riding and not just this video! I see it all the time!

Vinsanity

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 01, 2013, 02:52:18 PM
Do YOU know that the RR driver didn't do some stupid shit to set these guys off?

I highly doubt that possibility. Why would someone want to piss off a motorcycle gang? And with their family in the car?

TurboDan

Yes, I'm sure the biker who just brake checked him would calmly pull to the side of the road and exchange insurance information. His buddies would surely continue on their way once they made sure everyone was alright.  :devil:

Or, ya know, it could turn out this way:

L.A. Riots Reginald Denny beating

TurboDan

Do YOU know that the RR driver didn't do some stupid shit to set these guys off? No you don't.

Local media is reporting (either from witnesses or police) that evidently the RR driver may have gotten in front of the bikes when entering the highway instead of letting them pass, and they took issue with this and began taunting him.

Raza

dude where do you see me defending them! I've said from beginning that this was handled all wrong! My point is what caused this?!? Do YOU know that the RR driver didn't do some stupid shit to set these guys off? No you don't. I was just saying I've seen shit like this happen and people are alway quick to blame it all on the bikers!and they were defiantly wrong for what they did! After he hit the first biker all they had to do was get his plate and let the police track him down!

Trying to shift blame to the driver is basically the same thing as defending the bikers.  Based on evidence, the SUV driver did nothing wrong and acted completely reasonably in the situation.  And people wouldn't be so quick to blame the bikers if as a group bikers didn't have a history of incidents or near-incidents like this. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: TurboDan on October 01, 2013, 03:25:45 PM
Local media is reporting (either from witnesses or police) that evidently the RR driver may have gotten in front of the bikes when entering the highway instead of letting them pass, and they took issue with this and began taunting him.

But with a biker group that big, the RR driver would've had to hold up traffic for at least a min before he can get on the highway, if he's lucky.  And from what I've seen with biker groups that's less than 1/3 the size of this one, they create a lot of disruption to traffic since they take up significantly more space than 4 big rigs basically creating a huge rolling blockade. 

I would say based on everything else posted here, that it's entirely the biker's fault until otherwise proven.