Ferrari V-10

Started by autom?vel, November 16, 2005, 07:41:38 PM

autom?vel

Ferrari working on V10

"Word out of Maranello suggests a new V10 engine may power the successor to Ferrari?s F430, amid concern over the marketing advantage enjoyed by archrival Lamborghini?s 5.0-liter V10-powered Gallardo."

"AutoWeek sources say Ferrari is developing a 5.4-liter V10 based around the 90-degree architecture of the F430?s four-valve-per-cylinder 4.3-liter V8."
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

Raza

Now why would they do that?  

Stick to 8s and 12s.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

autom?vel

A baby Ferrari with a V8 and bump the 430 replacement up to what will undoubtedly be a well-engineered V10.  Doesn't sound half bad to me.  

I understand though.  I catch your drift.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

Raza

QuoteA baby Ferrari with a V8 and bump the 430 replacement up to what will undoubtedly be a well-engineered V10.  Doesn't sound half bad to me.  

I understand though.  I catch your drift.
I truly think Ferrari has lost the way (sorry to get Daoist for a moment).  The successor to the F40 and F50 is the Enzo, which is a coupe with quirky styling and an F1 trans only.  Most of their cars are sold with F1 transmissions.  They're incredibly heavy (a 456M was heavier than my E320, for example), and they've lost more than some of the beauty of the older cars (even dating back to the 90s, the 348 and 355, the 456 was one of the most beautiful Ferraris, and don't even let me compare modern Ferraris to the Testarossas of my childhood and 288 GTOs from before).  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

There doing something right, the F430 is the first Ferrari since the F40 that I can picture in my dream garage.

Raza

QuoteThere doing something right, the F430 is the first Ferrari since the F40 that I can picture in my dream garage.
Bah, no appreciation for classic designs.

Now those are two of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Possibly my favorite Ferrari designs, at least my favorite modern ones.

And I could go on and on.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

The Testerossa is horribly overdone and just plain hideous imho. The classic Ferraris do look nice, but comparable Aston Martins and Maseratis look better imho.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

QuoteThere doing something right, the F430 is the first Ferrari since the F40 that I can picture in my dream garage.
Bah, no appreciation for classic designs.

Dino is one of the sexiest cars, ever.

:rockon:  

Raza

Some how, I just knew Mark would understand.  

:D  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

The Dino does look quite nice, but....

1. It isn't technically a Ferrari IIRC
2. The Miura looks even better

93JC

QuoteThe Dino does look quite nice, but....

1. It is a Ferrari, for all intents and purposes. They were sold as their own sub-brand. (and don't confuse it with the Fiat Dino, which was a totally different car)

2. Meh. I find the Dino more aesthetically pleasing. I won't take issue if one happens to find the Miura more attractive.

Raza

It is indeed a Ferrari, though it was made to honor Enzo Ferrari's son, Dino, and therefore he didn't put his name on it.

And I can't find fault with you liking the Miura, it is one of the most beautiful cars of all time, but I can't quite say that I like it better than the Dino.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I realize that it is a Ferrari, I was just nitpicking as I often do :praise:

TBR

It is indeed a Ferrari, though it was made to honor Enzo Ferrari's son, Dino, and therefore he didn't put his name on it.

And I can't find fault with you liking the Miura, it is one of the most beautiful cars of all time, but I can't quite say that I like it better than the Dino.
Actually, IIRC, the reason it wasn't called a Ferrari was because it had a 6 cylinder.  

Raza

QuoteThere is a story behind the name "Dino" and the V6 engine. Alfredino Ferrari, the only son of Enzo Ferrari, suggested his father to develop a V6 racing engine for F2 in the early 60s. Although always in favour of V12, Enzo approved his beloved son's project and employed a man called Jano to design this engine. The result was a very compact, 1600c.c., quad-cam V6 which won several F2 championship titles and proved the vision of Alfredino was correct. However, before this happened, the ill-fated young Alredino had already died in kidney disease. Enzo was so upset, it took him several years to fully recover from heart-break. However, for the memory of his son, he put the V6 into a mid-engined lightweight sports car and called it "Dino", which is the short-write of his son's name.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Actually, IIRC, the reason it wasn't called a Ferrari was because it had a 6 cylinder.
No, it was called Dino because of the V6. Dino Ferrari oversaw the development of the V6.

93JC

Got beaten to the punch. :o :lol:

TBR

Raza

QuoteGot beaten to the punch. :o :lol:
I looked through 15 or so webpages to find that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

I knew it from memory. :praise:

autom?vel

To make a classic, occasionally you have to go against the grain and go your own way.  Even when you've already got the history, you've got to be able to try something new otherwise you'r just resting on your laurels.  That's why I don't mind the new directions Ferrari is trying.  I'd rather them try some new stuff than try to recreate renditions of their past classics every so many years, becasue I love classics, not clones.  They just found the right formula yet.

I dare any of you to question my credentials as a Ferrari afficionado for not being a "purist."  I'll kill ya.  :P

-  Teddy Roosevelt

Raza

QuoteI knew it from memory. :praise:
Yeah, well, memory doesn't seem to be enough proof, I wanted something to back it up.  "I read it somewhere a few years ago" didn't seem like all that was needed to prove that I was right.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteTo make a classic, occasionally you have to go against the grain and go your own way.  Even when you've already got the history, you've got to be able to try something new otherwise you'r just resting on your laurels.  That's why I don't mind the new directions Ferrari is trying.  I'd rather them try some new stuff than try to recreate renditions of their past classics every so many years, becasue I love classics, not clones.  They just found the right formula yet.

I dare any of you to question my credentials as a Ferrari afficionado for not being a "purist."  I'll kill ya.  :P
I don't mind trying new things, it's just there's now a heavy-handedness to Ferrari designs--they're trying too hard, and because they've got a prancing horse on the front, it will still always sell.  But look at the design tract Porsche has taken.  A 911 will always look like a 911, but it's never retro, and each one looks different.  It also feels like they're so adamant about this F1 nose they put on the Enzo that they feel they have to stick design cues on all the new Ferraris coming out (though the 612 escaped this, and it's better for it--the design took me a long time to get used to, but I've come round) like the new 430.  It looks so much like a 360 Modena, but they decided to put an Enzo rear end on it.  I fear the successor to the 575.  

I also think this dependency on technology is hurting the soul of Ferrari.  Watching Fifth Gear, there was an episode where someone bought Schumacher's F1 car, and they went over the steering wheel.  It had at least 15 buttons on it, which allow you to change the suspension, traction control, gearshift, and so many other things you'd need hours to learn it fully--and then they showed a wheel from 10 years ago, and it was a plain wheel.  Nothing on it whatsoever.  

This investment in the F1 sequential manual is ruining the exotic segment, if you ask me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i