Edmunds: Tacoma vs. Frontier

Started by ifcar, November 18, 2005, 03:36:34 PM

ifcar

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=107904

The sign read, "You may find crickets and/or beetles in your room. Sorry, there's nothing we can do, the entire state is infested with them. Please, enjoy your stay."

Not the welcome mat we were expecting at the Motel 6 in Beatty, Nevada, but a fitting start to a weekend of roughing it.

We drove the 350 miles from Los Angeles to Beatty, a small town on the outskirts of Death Valley National Park, to test trucks, specifically the Nissan Frontier and the Toyota Tacoma. We've compared them before, but not like this.

This is a good old-fashioned grudge match. To the death. Winner takes all. Instead of calculating price points and comparing features lists, we wanted to see how these trucks tow up hills, run on the sand and race over washboard fire roads. You know, like you see in the commercials.

And they would have to do it all in the relentless triple-digit heat of California's Mojave Desert. These trucks claim to be tough. We were going to find out how tough.

Japanese Rule
In our 2005 Midsize Truck Comparison Test, the Toyota Tacoma finished in 1st place with the Nissan Frontier just a few points behind. The other three trucks in the test were good but the Nissan and the Toyota were better, much better.

They also offer dedicated off-road packages for those who want that kind of hardware, or at least that look.

To judge the effectiveness of such packages, we brought along two versions of each truck ? one in full off-road trim and another dressed for the street. All four trucks were four-wheel-drive crew cabs with V6 engines and automatic transmissions. Prices ranged from $29,730 to $31,630.

On the Toyota side, the street model was our current long-term Tacoma, a long bed version with the TRD Sport package that swaps in retuned springs, Bilstein shocks and a set of Dunlop Grand Trek tires along with a few cosmetic upgrades. The TRD parts are designed to give the Tacoma improved on-road handling without reducing its ability off-road.

The other Toyota was a short bed with the TRD Off-Road package. It gets progressive rate springs along with Bilstein shocks, a thinner front sway bar, more aggressive BFGoodrich Rugged Trail tires, skid plates, and a locking rear differential.

Our long-term Frontier with the NISMO packages stood in for Nissan's off-road entry. Like the Tacoma, the NISMO Frontier gets Bilstein shocks, Rugged Trail tires, retuned springs, skid plates and a locking rear differential. It also adds electronic Hill Descent Control and Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), Nissan's version of stability control.

Nissan doesn't have an equivalent to the TRD Sport package, so we used the closest thing possible, a Frontier LE equipped with 17-inch street tires.

A True Test
To see what these trucks could do under load, we hooked up a 5,000-pound trailer and headed up a long, steep pass in Death Valley with the outside temperature hovering around 115 degrees. There was one passenger in each truck and we kept the air conditioning on at all times. We noted how fast the trucks climbed, how they sounded doing it and whether they heated up in the process.

Once that was over it was time for a little fun in the sand on some remote dunes outside Beatty. Other than airing down the tires and shifting into four-wheel drive, we made no special adjustments. Launching off the peaks was banned, but full throttle power slides were encouraged.

After the beach, we switched to some canyon running that involved tight switchbacks and wide-open washboard roads. None of it was technical enough to require low-range, but it was the most fun we had all weekend.

Tough Trucks, Tough Call
After two days of testing, and several cans of Raid, one thing was clear: These trucks are built to take serious punishment. After all we put them through, they all drove the 350 miles home like it was just another road trip.

We also discovered little difference between the street-tuned trucks and the off-road versions. Other than a little extra traction from the all-terrain tires and less fade from the Bilstein shocks, the TRD Sport and Frontier LE conquered the same terrain as their off-road counterparts.

This made choosing a winner difficult, but the Nissans take the win. If we were buying a truck that would spend its entire life in the dirt, one of the Tacomas might get the nod, but before you play in the mud on the weekend, you have to get through the week first. While equally as tough and capable off-road as the Tacomas, the Nissan Frontiers are simply more refined and more comfortable. Bottom line, had we been forced to endure another few days in the desert we would have wanted to be driving one of the Nissan Frontiers.

TBR

Very surprising result, I would have expected the conclusion to be the exact opposite.

Raza

That's cool.  I like the Frontier better anyway (purely based on looks).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Is it just me or does it seem like American small trucks just can't even compete?.

The Ranger, while an awesome truck in 1986, isn't that great anymore because it's so outdated. When I was looking at a 2005 Ranger, the way the bed was stamped looked VERY familiar.

The Dakota is too big, heavy, thirsty and ugly, IMO. Might as well get a Ram, at least you then could get the option of a Hemi. I thought the whole idea of a compact pickup was nimble, light, and tough. If you take away those benefits, then what remains is a smaller cab, bed, and engine

I like the Colorado, but the engines are supposed to be gutless. Decent engines, wrong vehicle. Plus, some say that the interior is cheap (doesn't bother me, though).

Catman

Personally, I like the Frontier better.  The Toyota looks really awkward in some configurations.  But, looks aside I think the Frontier fits the bill better as a small truck.  The Tacoma might have gotten a little too big and I like the older one a bit better.  But, enough splitting hairs, I'd take either as they're both fine trucks. B)  

mazda6er

The Tacoma in XRunner form is a damn fine looking truck.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

giant_mtb

The Nissan looks...more buff...I always thought of it sort of looking like an F-150. (very disntantly)  The Toyota looks more like a play toy compared to the Nissan, but it obviously holds up just as well.  I'd still probably take the Nissan, though.

280Z Turbo

I'd have to go with the Nissan. It has nice styling, powerful motor, more refinement, and yes, I am biased. Nissan has come a long way since the Li'l Hustler. ;)

Also, historically speaking, Nissans (Datsuns) tend to hold up better under abuse than their Toyota counterparts. Toyotas would last a long time if you took care of them, Datsuns would last a long time no matter what. B) I'm not sure whether or not this is still true to this day.

so cal cookie

SaltyDog

I like the Frontier as well.  I think it's one of the best looking trucks out there, even if it is a little overstyled.  But every truck these days is overstyled, and Nissan doesn't do a bad job of it.  The Tacoma, OTOH, looks atrocious imo, atleast from the front view.

Did anyone notice how even though this comparo was about offroad performance, the writer said the Tacoma might get the nod in offroad capability, but the Frontier was better on the street?  Kind of ironic.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

It sounds like they said that the two trucks were neck-and-neck offroad, but the Frontier had a clear advantage on pavement.  

SaltyDog

First they said, "If we were buying a truck that would spend its entire life in the dirt, one of the Tacomas might get the nod," but then they said, "While equally as tough and capable off-road as the Tacomas, the Nissan Frontiers are simply more refined and more comfortable."

At first it sounded like they like the Tacoma a little better offroad.  But in the same paragraph they then said they were equal...

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

ifcar

Essentially they were giving the Tacoma a slight preference off-road, but the differences were insignificant. And they easily preferred the Frontier for on-road driving.  

SaltyDog

Gotcha.  I would have expected the conclusion to be the exact opposite, as Tim said.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

thewizard16

QuoteGotcha.  I would have expected the conclusion to be the exact opposite, as Tim said.
Same here. The result suprises me, but makes me curious. I kind of like both trucks, but never cared for the styling of the Frontier too much. I'd like to drive both of them now.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Run Away

QuoteAlso, historically speaking, Nissans (Datsuns) tend to hold up better under abuse than their Toyota counterparts. Toyotas would last a long time if you took care of them, Datsuns would last a long time no matter what. B) I'm not sure whether or not this is still true to this day.
Umm, what basis do you have for that?

The Toyota Truck is one of the toughest trucks out there. Their only weakness is that they rust easily, especially in the bed area. However, it's not like the older Nissan trucks  were free of that problem too.

(yeah I know that's a 4Runner, I can't find a non-modified tuck picture)

TBR

QuoteGotcha.  I would have expected the conclusion to be the exact opposite, as Tim said.
Same here. The result suprises me, but makes me curious. I kind of like both trucks, but never cared for the styling of the Frontier too much. I'd like to drive both of them now.
I just love it when everyone agrees with me :praise: (it happens so rarely... ;))

280Z Turbo

QuoteAlso, historically speaking, Nissans (Datsuns) tend to hold up better under abuse than their Toyota counterparts. Toyotas would last a long time if you took care of them, Datsuns would last a long time no matter what. B) I'm not sure whether or not this is still true to this day.
Umm, what basis do you have for that?

The Toyota Truck is one of the toughest trucks out there. Their only weakness is that they rust easily, especially in the bed area. However, it's not like the older Nissan trucks  were free of that problem too.

(yeah I know that's a 4Runner, I can't find a non-modified tuck picture)
Perhaps I'm thinking more of their cars. I know those Toyota trucks are tough as hell (i.e. Top Gear experiment) but I have heard several people make comments like:

Author: Tony D
Date:   Nov 7, 1:04pm

Nissans last far longer than Toys when abused.
I gave up on Toys when the 18RG in their "Sports Car" took a dump after half the beating my 180SX took.

Been Nissan Ever since.

Author: mike240
Date:   Nov 7, 12:54pm

Good ol' Toyota's.. can go forever with proper care!...yeah, that seems to be the timeless statement about Toyotas. I don't think Nissans last quite as long (maybe 90% of Toyota's) but they can take much more abuse.

Although, this came from Zcar.com, so it may be biased. ;)

I'm not bashing old Toyotas (they really weren't either) just saying that they have different strengths.

SaltyDog

I don't think you can really make that conclusion^^

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

280Z Turbo

QuoteI don't think you can really make that conclusion^^
Well I would use the scientific method and go back in time to buy a fleet of Toyotas and Nissans to

But...since we can't do that...reviews from owners that have owned and repect both brands would be the best.

Anyway, Nissan has a strong history of motorsports, so I think they design their cars around this philosphy (durability first) moreso than other brands.  

Run Away

Well seeing as you get your info from the Nissan boards...

And that I've never heard of Nissan trucks being anything special reliability/durability wise...

But I have heard that Toyota trucks are tough as nails....hell, 50% of the vehicles in Haiti are Toyota Trucks.

280Z Turbo

Well, when I made the original post I had Datsun/Toyota cars in mind, not necessarily trucks.

I certainly can't dispute that old Toyota trucks are bulletproof, so never mind.

BTW, Zcar.com is not a Z-car fanboy site. It's a bunch of old shadetree mechanics with a lot of knowledge of all things automotive. I honestly think they're all pretty non-partisan.