"No more crappy cars" from GM

Started by Laconian, October 27, 2013, 05:30:21 PM

Laconian

GM's Mary Barra to staff: "No more crappy cars."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/gm-puts-mary-barra-in-charge-of-purchasing-too-says-no-excuses-no-more-crappy-cars/

The move was made in early August, with no announcement, but the Automotive News has reported that GM purchasing head Grace Lieblein now reports to Barra, not vice chairman Steve Girsky, as she had been doing. The consolidation of oversight of product planning and purchasing is hoped to reduce conflicts between engineers and purchasers.

The news comes just a few days after Barra told Fortune magazine's Most Powerful Women Summit that her directive to GM's designers and engineers is simple, "No more crappy cars", with "no excuses".She said that she told GM employees that if GM is going to compete in a market segment, they'll be competing to win. "I think there was sometimes so many boundaries put on them [employees] that we didn't give them a recipe for success. So now were saying no excuses, if its budget, if its resources, we have to do great cars, trucks and crossovers and it's our job to enable you to do that," she continued."The simple thing I said was no more crappy cars."
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

They've been at the top of their game lately, I wonder what she's going to do to top that

Rich

The Malibu has been flopping hard.  I'm not sure how the compacts have been doing, sales wise.

It'll be interesting to see whee GM goes!
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

IIRC, GM has a single vehicle in the 10 best sellers in the US this year (the Silverado).  Not a great sign for the largest domestic automaker.  Ford has 3 models in the top 10, including the #1 best selling vehicle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

They used to say this every 5 years or so since the 1980's.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 27, 2013, 08:08:53 PM
They used to say this every 5 years or so since the 1980's.

Yeah, they've been actively apologizing for shitty cars since 2003 or so.

Laconian

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 27, 2013, 08:16:05 PM
Yeah, they've been actively apologizing for shitty cars since 2003 or so.
This is my impression of things. Mea culpa! The Cavalier is trash, and we know it's trash, so obviously we won't make the same mistake twice with the Cobalt!

Soup DeVille

What a brilliant idea.

I wonder why nobody has tried this before.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Secret Chimp

Maybe stop pulling over existing architectures from Opel? Or friggin Daewoo?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 28, 2013, 12:17:23 PM
Maybe stop pulling over existing architectures from Opel? Or friggin Daewoo?

So you'd rather them un integrate and make things more costly? Develop three seperate model lines with no mechanical relations?

That's what got them the shit reputation in the first place

Daewoo and Opel have been GM for a long time. Complaining that they "use" Opel or Daewoo engineering is like getting mad for Ford using Volvo or Mazda tech.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

I feel like I hear this from GM every couple of years. It's one thing to say we're done building shit. It's entirely a different thing to actually do it.

GM is so large they still shock me with some of the things they pull off. They have the ability to throw people at things which is pretty amazing. But statements like these are meaningless. There's a huge cultural problem at the company, one that won't change anytime soon. Just like when they got bailed out, they kept pitching it was a whole new GM... But it's the same good old boys running the show for the most part. It's going to take a long time to make big changes there.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

2o6

Quote from: MrH on October 28, 2013, 06:20:36 PM
I feel like I hear this from GM every couple of years. It's one thing to say we're done building shit. It's entirely a different thing to actually do it.

GM is so large they still shock me with some of the things they pull off. They have the ability to throw people at things which is pretty amazing. But statements like these are meaningless. There's a huge cultural problem at the company, one that won't change anytime soon. Just like when they got bailed out, they kept pitching it was a whole new GM... But it's the same good old boys running the show for the most part. It's going to take a long time to make big changes there.

I don't understand this either, they move six steps forward, and five steps backwards.

IMO, most of the interiors dominate their respective classes, but it seems like they have a lot of waste within their corporate structure that makes no damn sense.

I think Chevrolet itself is fine (Malibu "sucks", but the Cruze, Sonic, Spark and Impala hold their own in their respective classes), but IMO Cadillac has yet to impress me. I don't like the new Escalade, nor do I care for their Interior or exterior design as well.

Buick seems OK, I guess.

Mustangfan2003

Speaking if crappy GM cars the old Impala will still be sold to fleets till 2016.  Say hello to the GM Crown Vic. 

280Z Turbo

I've been working with GM for almost 2 years now and I would describe them as being inconsistent, bureaucratic, and slow moving at the supplier level. Exactly what you'd think.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 28, 2013, 07:38:35 PM
I've been working with GM for almost 2 years now and I would describe them as being inconsistent, bureaucratic, and slow moving at the supplier level. Exactly what you'd think.

Comes across in their product line

280Z Turbo

We get new engineers from GM coming in all the time. There's no constancy of purpose from person to person.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 28, 2013, 07:44:58 PM
We get new engineers from GM coming in all the time. There's no constancy of purpose from person to person.

Why do these three cars share the same platform basis, but not that much mechanically? It makes no damn sense.

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 28, 2013, 07:38:35 PM

I'm going on 2.5 years with two different suppliers, and I agree completely. On a higher, strategic level, they're constantly making terrible mistakes by shooting from the hip and trying to play catch up to fix it.  The most frustrating thing is the blind following of standards that are overbearing and make little to no sense.  Most engineering underlings just follow the "GM rules" at the cost of the big picture until management realizes the fuck up.  Half the time they still go through with it because they don't have time to fix it.  The other half, they spend ass loads of money and time fixing what should have been done in the first place.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MrH on October 28, 2013, 07:49:24 PM
I'm going on 2.5 years with two different suppliers, and I agree completely. On a higher, strategic level, they're constantly making terrible mistakes by shooting from the hip and trying to play catch up to fix it.  The most frustrating thing is the blind following of standards that are overbearing and make little to no sense.  Most engineering underlings just follow the "GM rules" at the cost of the big picture until management realizes the fuck up.  Half the time they still go through with it because they don't have time to fix it.  The other half, they spend ass loads of money and time fixing what should have been done in the first place.

"I have a bad idea."

"Great! Let's make it best practice! Let the suppliers worry about it! What the hell do we care?"

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 28, 2013, 08:29:20 PM
"I have a bad idea."

"Great! Let's make it best practice! Let the suppliers worry about it! What the hell do we care?"

More like "it worked well this one time for this one particular situation, and/or its my own pet project and I really really believe it'll work, so lets have everybody do the exact same fucking thing. For everything even remotely similar. Every time. Forever."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Yes, pet projects are also a huge problem at GM.

Secret Chimp

It sounds like GM is kind of the Microsoft of the car industry.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 28, 2013, 08:51:10 PM
It sounds like GM is kind of the Microsoft of the car industry.

GM seems to always have all these competing camps, and everybody is either going through the motions or trying to get a leg up on one of their coworkers. Not to say other companies I've worked with didn't have issues, but GM's seem much more endemic.

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 28, 2013, 08:38:51 PM
More like "it worked well this one time for this one particular situation, and/or its my own pet project and I really really believe it'll work, so lets have everybody do the exact same fucking thing. For everything even remotely similar. Every time. Forever."

Oh dear god.  This, times a fuckin billion, is GM in a nutshell.

It's just countless morons defending "best practices" they don't even understand.  People in purchasing trying to beat up suppliers who specialize in the product about what's "best".  I'm all for having standards and specs to meet, but they have to make sense.  Working once on something that was kind of the same is not reason enough to apply to every vehicle thereafter.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

280Z Turbo

Yes, I'm sick of GM acting like they are the experts on automotive lighting. :rolleyes: