Range Rover vs. Range Rover Sport?

Started by MrH, October 27, 2013, 09:42:00 PM

MrH

Seems like the new Range Rover Sport is cheaper, arguably better looking, has a 3rd row, the same power trains, and sounds like just as much capability as the full blown Range Rover.

Anyone else think this is a strange scenario Land Rover is in?  Richard Hammond said it's better than the Range Rover.

Apparently, Chris Harris is thinking the same:

What's the argument for the Range Rover anymore over this thing?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

Fuck all of them, I'll take a Land Cruiser

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Hm. I always thought the Sport didn't have as many luxury features.

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 27, 2013, 09:46:51 PM
Fuck all of them, I'll take a Land Cruiser

.....that ugly un-luxurious POS? I saw a new GX with the spindle grille yesterday - what a fucking shame.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Lebowski

Meh I'd still prefer the real RR. It's better looking.

But yeah, I'd probably get a Toyota land cruiser.

J86

Don't know.  Love those things.  One of the rare lines that I continue to enjoy the new ones.  I think it's because they haven't destroyed the greenhouse like on most new vehicles on the road today.

Galaxy

Quote from: MrH on October 27, 2013, 09:42:00 PM
Seems like the new Range Rover Sport is cheaper, arguably better looking, has a 3rd row, the same power trains, and sounds like just as much capability as the full blown Range Rover.

Anyone else think this is a strange scenario Land Rover is in?  Richard Hammond said it's better than the Range Rover.

What's the argument for the Range Rover anymore over this thing?

At least for Europe there is a difference in terms of powertrains. The Range Rover has a V8 diesel, the Sport only a V6.

Also in terms of capability the proper Range Rover does have advantages engineered into it. Just look at the air intakes.

I do agree that the Sport is better looking.

12,000 RPM

Go hard or go home. I would get the big daddy.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Chris Harris has loads of awesome YoutTube vids but he is absolutely AWFUL when it comes to actually recommending cars. Land Rover's website is also awful - I can't tell what the hell the differences are, other than the Sport is smaller and cheaper.

But Land Cruiser.

Raza

I also prefer the Sport's looks and size to the new Range Rover.  However, I'd rather have an older Range Rover over the lot of them.  Noble vehicles, with a lot less flash to them than the modern ones. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.