Want This

Started by Catman, November 02, 2013, 09:11:43 AM

Catman

FlatBlackCaddy

What is that, a mazda 6 wagon?

FoMoJo

Very sweet...but grey?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on November 02, 2013, 09:50:36 AM
no one would buy it

in america, for sure.

We don't buy good looking, efficient and practical vehicles. We buy SUV's.

2o6

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 02, 2013, 09:51:31 AM
in america, for sure.

We don't buy good looking, efficient and practical vehicles. We buy SUV's.

I fucking hate this arguement.

- Europe is becoming just as SUV crazy

- Europe buys those mini MPV things, which have the driving position of SUV's....minus the Ground clearance and optional AWD

- Driving position and Ergonomics between an SUV and Sedan are different- which is why a lot of people buy SUV's in the first place. For many (like old people) it's simply more comfortable and easier to get in and out of.

I like station wagons and hatches too, but don't take a shit on the SUV because people aren't buying what they don't like.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on November 02, 2013, 09:56:47 AM

I fucking hate this arguement.

- Europe is becoming just as SUV crazy

- Europe buys those mini MPV things, which have the driving position of SUV's....minus the Ground clearance and optional AWD

- Driving position and Ergonomics between an SUV and Sedan are different- which is why a lot of people buy SUV's in the first place. For many (like old people) it's simply more comfortable and easier to get in and out of.

I like station wagons and hatches too, but don't take a shit on the SUV because people aren't buying what they don't like.

I'll shit on what I want, where I want, when I want.

Eye of the Tiger

SUVs are basically the worst vehicle choice for most people.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 02, 2013, 10:03:56 AM
SUVs are basically the worst vehicle choice for most people.

Pretty much unless you are going off road or do any towing.  Most people that buy them do neither. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 02, 2013, 10:35:59 AM
Pretty much unless you are going off road or do any towing.  Most people that buy them do neither. 

On one of the other sides of the coin, I am taking my lowered economy car offroading again today.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

The only penalty an SUV has over a wagon in the US for most people is fuel economy.  Period.

- better handling: who cares.  the speed limit is 65 on a flat interstate.

- more maneuverable:  who cares.  US roads are wide just like our asses.

- less tippy.  not so much of an issue now that stability control is standard.  did I mention the speed limit is 65 mph on a flat interstate wide enough for a 18 wheeler semitruck?

Fuel economy:  gas is much cheaper in the US than Europe. 

If you regularly speed on steep narrow mountain passes and then park in an urban multistory parking garage with narrow parking spots- buy your wagon.  For the rest of the 99% of people in the US, seatbelt your rugrats in, turn the movie on, put the 18oz soda in the cup holder, step UP into your vehicle, and try to get through your 65 mph fast jaunt through two states in one afternoon.  And that extra 20 dollars you spent in gas is not a deal breaker for most folk.

Mustangfan2003

One advantage that a large SUV has over a wagon is you have a 3rd row seat that's full size instead of the small folding ones that wagons once had and a lot of people don't want to touch a minivan even though it's more piratical and can do whatever they need.  Don't blame then I don't think I want a van either. 

Onslaught

Do these wagons really have that much more space? I worked on several of the original 6 wagons and I was always underwhelmed with the amount of space in the back. I didn't look like you could fit all that much more in the back then the normal 4 door.

Catman

Quote from: Onslaught on November 02, 2013, 01:28:00 PM
Do these wagons really have that much more space? I worked on several of the original 6 wagons and I was always underwhelmed with the amount of space in the back. I didn't look like you could fit all that much more in the back then the normal 4 door.

The trunk lid is significantly lower than the roof on a wagon and with the seats folded down there's more space.

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on November 02, 2013, 01:28:00 PM

In terms of "floor space", they aren't really any more spacious in the cargo area.  But there's much more upward volume.  If you don't mind losing visibility out of the rear window, you can stack stuff much higher than you can in a trunk, or accommodate items that just wouldn't fit through the trunk opening of the sedan.  And with seats folded, you could carry significantly more stuff (or larger items) than the sedan could.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

Quote from: MX793 on November 02, 2013, 01:34:19 PM
In terms of "floor space", they aren't really any more spacious in the cargo area.  But there's much more upward volume.  If you don't mind losing visibility out of the rear window, you can stack stuff much higher than you can in a trunk, or accommodate items that just wouldn't fit through the trunk opening of the sedan.  And with seats folded, you could carry significantly more stuff (or larger items) than the sedan could.
Well that was what I was thinking. Sure you could stack more shit up but then you couldn't see a damn thing out the back.  As someone who would want something that rides better then I'd take this over a little SUV. But most people don't give a shit about that kind of stuff and want the "cool" SUV and not the family car. And seeing that the original 6 wagon sold like shit I can see why Mazda isn't bringing it here. Then again, why bring the 5 door 3 then?

cawimmer430

I saw one of those today - metallic dark red. Very nice.  :ohyeah:

Saw one a few days ago - as a taxi (already) in that German Taxigelb.

The reason you will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER see this car in America is because...

TA DA!!!!  :devil:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Catman

I love the fact that this truck is at a show and the front bumper is not aligned. :facepalm:

Rupert

Quote from: veeman on November 02, 2013, 11:59:38 AM
The only penalty an SUV has over a wagon in the US for most people is fuel economy.  Period.

- better handling: who cares.  the speed limit is 65 on a flat interstate.

- more maneuverable:  who cares.  US roads are wide just like our asses.

- less tippy.  not so much of an issue now that stability control is standard.  did I mention the speed limit is 65 mph on a flat interstate wide enough for a 18 wheeler semitruck?

Fuel economy:  gas is much cheaper in the US than Europe. 

If you regularly speed on steep narrow mountain passes and then park in an urban multistory parking garage with narrow parking spots- buy your wagon.  For the rest of the 99% of people in the US, seatbelt your rugrats in, turn the movie on, put the 18oz soda in the cup holder, step UP into your vehicle, and try to get through your 65 mph fast jaunt through two states in one afternoon.  And that extra 20 dollars you spent in gas is not a deal breaker for most folk.

99%? More like 60%. ;)

Lots of curvy non-Interstates. Lots of states have 70 or 75 (even 80 in a couple) mph limits. Cities are still tight, and that's where most people live.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Colin

Quote from: Catman on November 02, 2013, 02:02:43 PM
I love the fact that this truck is at a show and the front bumper is not aligned. :facepalm:

:hesaid:

:clap:

cawimmer430

I didn't even notice that! I won't tell Consumer Reports if you don't! :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Onslaught

Must have run over a french car on the way to the show.

Catman

2o6

Most new CUV's are pretty damn stable and good handling for being tall with big tires.

MX793

It's likely the hood that's out of alignment, not the bumper.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 02, 2013, 04:17:12 PM
It's likely the hood that's out of alignment, not the bumper.

I was going to argue that, until I realized that that's not any better.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 02, 2013, 04:27:16 PM
I was going to argue that, until I realized that that's not any better.

I was thinking that perhaps the hood was open at one point during the display and then someone closed it and didn't latch it (or only partially latched it).
Needs more Jiggawatts

TurboDan

As a counterpoint to Wimmer, the percentage of people driving truly giant SUVs in the US is WAY down compared to 10 years ago. Most of the SUVs I see today are crossovers of varying sizes.

Rupert

True, but I think the number of people driving huge pickups is way up compared to ten years ago.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 02, 2013, 04:31:22 PM
I was thinking that perhaps the hood was open at one point during the display and then someone closed it and didn't latch it (or only partially latched it).

That's possible.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator