New SUV from Suzuki

Started by BMWDave, May 17, 2005, 05:15:29 AM

BMWDave

"A unibody construction AND a ladder frame;
A 2.7 liter, 185 HP V6 with 5-speed Automatic;
A longitudinally mounted engine, putting the tranny where it should be;
A fully independent suspension;
A full-time 4WD drive system with locking center diff;

For those who think this is just a RAV 4 clone, here are some stats. These are taken from the X2 Concept as compared to a RAV 4L with the optional larger tires. The numbers are presented as "Suzuki vs. Toyota":

Overall Length: 176 inches vs. 167.5 inches
Overall Width: 74.4 inches vs. 70.3 inches
Overall Height: 66.7 inches vs. 65.7 inches
Wheelbase: 103.9 inches vs. 98.0 inches
Tread 63.8 inches (front) vs. 60.0 inches
64.6 inches (rear) vs. 59.8 inches"

What do you guys thing?  Will this do well?  It would increase competition with the Tuscon.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

giant_mtb

It looks decent...but it looks like it's going to be a heck of a slow SUV...

mazda6er

QuoteIs it Equinox-based?
Judging by its appearance and the base engine, I would guess it is. Most of the styling looks heavily revised though.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

Judging by its appearance and the base engine, I would guess it is. Most of the styling looks heavily revised though.
That's not a Chevrolet engine.  

mazda6er

There I go again, not checking my facts thoroughly enough for you.  I saw the hp rating (which I knew is the same as the Equinox) and didn't feel like checking to see if the displacements where the same. Good thing you're here to keep me honest.   :D  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

There I go again, not checking my facts thoroughly enough for you.  I saw the hp rating (which I knew is the same as the Equinox) and didn't feel like checking to see if the displacements where the same. Good thing you're here to keep me honest.   :D
I'm too lazy to check stats far too often as well. That's why it pays to memorize.  :D  

ifcar

I'm too lazy to check stats far too often as well. That's why it pays to memorize.  :D
Anyway, it's almost certainly a Suzuki engine. The XL-7 has the same displacement and horsepower (actually looked that one up).  

BMWDave

It definitely looks to be Equinoz based...I wonder how this thing will sell.  Wont it compete with the Equinox?

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Looks pretty nice and it should have pretty decent acceleration (I don't see a curb weight, but it is probably similar to the Equinox's which has surprisingly good acceleration). Also, I have heard that the 2.7l Suzuki V6 is a very smooth engine, your thoughts Ifcar?

ifcar

QuoteIt definitely looks to be Equinoz based...I wonder how this thing will sell.  Wont it compete with the Equinox?
No more than the Pontiac Torrent.  <_<  

ifcar

QuoteLooks pretty nice and it should have pretty decent acceleration (I don't see a curb weight, but it is probably similar to the Equinox's which has surprisingly good acceleration). Also, I have heard that the 2.7l Suzuki V6 is a very smooth engine, your thoughts Ifcar?
It's only been used in the XL-7 so far, and it's overworked in that vehicle, so it's hard to tell. In a lighter vehicle, it may very well be smooth, but it doesn't feel that way in the XL-7.

BMWDave

QuoteIt definitely looks to be Equinoz based...I wonder how this thing will sell.  Wont it compete with the Equinox?
I didnt say I agreed with the idea of rebadging the car to make the torrent.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteIt definitely looks to be Equinoz based...I wonder how this thing will sell.  Wont it compete with the Equinox?
I know, just pointing out that having two competing products is standard fare for GM.

However, I would expect the Suzuki to be less expensive.  

BMWDave

QuoteIt definitely looks to be Equinoz based...I wonder how this thing will sell.? Wont it compete with the Equinox?
I know, just pointing out that having two competing products is standard fare for GM.

Thats one thing, but at least this is a little more differentiated from the Equinox than the Torrent is.  This isnt really badge engineering...the Torrent is.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Thats one thing, but at least this is a little more differentiated from the Equinox than the Torrent is.  This isnt really badge engineering...the Torrent is.
Certainly true. The engine alone makes quite a difference.