New Subaru WRX.....

Started by 2o6, November 11, 2013, 11:23:30 PM

2o6

All that damn hype. All that hype of a new concept. All that talk of a standalone model, a sexier racier body.

And we clearly get the dowdy Impreza with a nose job.

Rupert

I always hate the new WRX's styling, but it always grows on me.

Which is to say, I hate this car's styling.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

I like it from the a pillar forward. However, the underlying car is dowdy. Last generation's car was a bit bland, but this one is ungainly.

mzziaz

Fuck. The concept was sooooo much better.
Cuore Sportivo

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on November 11, 2013, 11:33:53 PM
I like it from the a pillar forward. However, the underlying car is dowdy. Last generation's car was a bit bland, but this one is ungainly.
Strange, I thought the nose was the worst part. The whole thing is pretty bad though.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Catman

ifcar

Yeah, teasing it with that concept was a bad idea. However, I wouldn't say it's a terribly unattractive car. And here's hoping the regular Impreza gets smoothed out this way, too.

MrH

Yikes.  Yeah, that concept got everybody's hopes up.  I thought this was supposed to be entirely separate from the base Impreza...?  Or is it, and they just both look boring and similar?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

S204STi

Raza

Hmm, the current model actually looks better.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on November 12, 2013, 07:24:50 AM
Yikes.  Yeah, that concept got everybody's hopes up.  I thought this was supposed to be entirely separate from the base Impreza...?  Or is it, and they just both look boring and similar?
Thats what I thought too, I thought they would go the GT-R route which could have been interesting.

The irony of Subaru's "mediocrity" ad campaign is def not lost on me. Only car they have with any visual appeal is the BRZ
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CALL_911

I really don't like it, but I felt the same way about the current one when it came out, so I'll probably like it in some time.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

That has to be a joke. Looks lie a turtle.

NomisR

NOOOO...

Why can't they do this

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on November 12, 2013, 11:49:18 AM
NOOOO...

Why can't they do this

Stunts like this is why I never get excited over concepts.  Hey, at least the grille made it to production.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Take that off the list of ever being a possible new car for me. I really liked the concept car but this is an ugly turd.

Catman

I want to delete this thread.

MX793

I was pretty stoked for the new WRX when I saw the concept.  I'm not a fan of the latest Impreza's styling and I was really hoping they were going to separate the WRX from the rest of the line.  It was high on my list as a Mustang replacement in the next year or so.  Not anymore.  As much as I criticized the current/outgoing WRX for its looks, this is far worse.  The wheels look tiny on that car (though I'm sure they're at least 17s).  Terrible.  The current/outgoing WRX looked very bland when it came out, but the fender flares added during the mid-cycle refresh have helped with that.  Even with the fender flares, this car looks pretty... blech.  It's what I'd imagine a Versa SE-R would look like.  I swear Subaru is intentionally trying to kill the appeal of the car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on November 12, 2013, 03:26:26 PM
Take that off the list of ever being a possible new car for me. I really liked the concept car but this is an ugly turd.

Yeah I know... argh... pissed me off...

Hope the STi might look better but it'll just be fender flares wit big ass wing.. I want a wagon version..

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on November 12, 2013, 05:02:31 PM
Yeah I know... argh... pissed me off...

Hope the STi might look better but it'll just be fender flares wit big ass wing.. I want a wagon version..
I knew it wouldn't look as good as that one. But this looks nothing like it at all.

CJ

Not too terrible. Not great, but not too bad.

Colin

Why are you all surprised?

Every Subaru with the exception of the previous generation Legacy has drawn gasps of horror at its appearance.......... someone at Subaru either does not care, or just has a different interpretation of the words "good" and "looking".

And yet, sales of Subarus to you Merrycans continue to rise, so clearly the overall package they are offering is not without its appeal. But even with what by all accounts is a pretty decent diesel motor, the brand has almost completely vanished in Europe. So sad to see that a once iconic brand, lusted after by so many, following the World Rally Car success in the Colin McRae and Richard Burns era has become an also ran nonentity with a handful of ugly SUVs (they have not even bothered with the latest Impreza for Europe) with low rent interiors, selling a three digit number of cars per year. Such a shame.

S204STi

I was hoping to be pleasantly surprise6d by a change of pace...

Vinsanity

The WRX has never been an attractive car; I'll go so far as to say that it's always been "purposefully" ugly.

Yeah, this looks disappointing compared to the concept, but in spite of that, I actually kinda like this one.

MX793

Quote from: Colin on November 14, 2013, 04:21:36 AM
Why are you all surprised?

Every Subaru with the exception of the previous generation Legacy has drawn gasps of horror at its appearance.......... someone at Subaru either does not care, or just has a different interpretation of the words "good" and "looking".

I wouldn't say every Subaru excluding the last Legacy was ugly.  More of them have been bland/inoffensive rather than actually ugly.  The bugeye Impreza of the early '00s was ugly, but the later facelifts of that generation looked OK.  Not beautiful, but not ugly.  The previous generation Impreza was more bland than offensive.  The previous generation Legacy was very handsome and the generation before that was inoffensive; somewhat attractive in GT trim.  The current generation isn't particularly pretty, especially when compared to the model it replaced.  The Forester has ranged from inoffensive to mildly attractive since it came out.  The Tribeca was hideous, but the facelifted version wasn't terrible.  Again, inoffensive.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CJ

Subarus have never really been good looking cars. They look good, yes, but not in the way something like a GTO does. Utilitarian.

Onslaught

It's not that this car is just butt ugly. It's that it looks nothing like the show car they just had out.

280Z Turbo

It's not ugly at all. It's just very conservative and boring.

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 14, 2013, 07:48:00 PM
It's not ugly at all. It's just very conservative and boring.

Yeah, for the most part, it just looks like nothing.  Could be a Toyota. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i