Honda Element

Started by MrH, November 17, 2013, 10:25:30 AM

Secret Chimp

The selling point was you can have both doors open whenever you stop so you and your friends and cool dog can get themselves and their totally fun bunches of shit in or out of the car as quickly and totally awesomely as possible.

At least that's what the ads suggested.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 17, 2013, 08:51:39 PM
The fact is there's a pretty big window wher the suspension geometry is "good enough" if you're not trying to make a race car.

And yes, sometimes its best to just let it go...

+1

Even on a racecar it's hard to tell.

MrH

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 17, 2013, 08:34:13 PM
I called Bilstein and spoke to their tech people before I replaced the shocks on the CLK.  The recommended the HD monotube shocks for that car.   I have no regrets with that purchase.
Of course the car had 90,000 miles on it and the oiginal shocks (which still rode fairly well, just lacked some damping) so I had a faulty comparison.
:cheers:  Yeah, I think that's the bulk of customers.  They're coming from shocks in such a bad state, anything is an improvement.  But there are some benefits to using a monotube over twin tube for sure.

I work on the OE side (production vehicle stuff), but I probably know the guys you talked to about your car on the aftermarket side.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 17, 2013, 08:51:39 PM
The fact is there's a pretty big window wher the suspension geometry is "good enough" if you're not trying to make a race car.

And yes, sometimes its best to just let it go...

And even with two different valvings that produces the same force curve, they can feel totally different in a car.  You can get pretty close using some models, but in the end, there's always calibrated butt tuning going on.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Looks good.  I've always liked the Element--well, not always, but after I got a drive in one on a snowy day (we drove though people's lawns, it was high school), I've liked them.  Shame that it's an automatic.  I'm also glad to hear that you got a good deal on it.  Some of the prices for ones you were looking at before were legitimately insane, which is one of the reasons I was so against it. 

And don't lower it.  It's an SUV.  Only lower it if you get a lift kit for the BRZ. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Dig the car, dig the sticker.  Grats man.

S204STi

Quote from: MrH on November 17, 2013, 09:25:40 PM
:cheers:  Yeah, I think that's the bulk of customers.  They're coming from shocks in such a bad state, anything is an improvement.  But there are some benefits to using a monotube over twin tube for sure.

I work on the OE side (production vehicle stuff), but I probably know the guys you talked to about your car on the aftermarket side.

And even with two different valvings that produces the same force curve, they can feel totally different in a car.  You can get pretty close using some models, but in the end, there's always calibrated butt tuning going on.

I'm a little surprised that Bilstein doesn't make OE - replacement stuff for Subarus.  At least, not the one I drive.

Lebowski

Not a bad choice at all, I've always thought the element would make a very good second/utility vehicle if you can get past the styling.

Byteme

Quote from: Lebowski on November 18, 2013, 09:06:30 AM
Not a bad choice at all, I've always thought the element would make a very good second/utility vehicle if you can get past the styling.
Color, apparently, makes a huge diffeence.  The gray he bought looks fairly good.  The yellows, blus and reds one sees so often makes the thing look like a cartoon car, IMEO.   :lol:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

Alright, first test for the element this weekend: going to a cabin in a state park. I'm trying to find some good hiking trails. Nothing beyond some dirt roads, but we'll likely cram a ton of people in the back to get to the hiking area from the cabin.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Lame. Needs more Xtreme Sports.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on November 18, 2013, 03:26:26 PM
Lame. Needs more Xtreme Sports.

*le sigh*

Sorry, I'll go ahead and cover it in Monster decals and strap a wind surfing stunt kayak to the roof.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Lebowski

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 18, 2013, 11:39:52 AM

Color, apparently, makes a huge diffeence.  The gray he bought looks fairly good.  The yellows, blus and reds one sees so often makes the thing look like a cartoon car, IMEO.   :lol:

In silver and gray looks pretty decent, and can't be the old Rubbermaid generation.

Byteme

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on November 17, 2013, 09:25:40 PM

Wow, calibrated butt tuning. The same thing you tried to jump in my ass about. Can you see the hypocrisy yet?
Anyway, I dont see the point to touching the suspension on a cute Ute, when what it really needs is a massive turbo.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 18, 2013, 06:22:18 PM
Wow, calibrated butt tuning. The same thing you tried to jump in my ass about. Can you see the hypocrisy yet?
Anyway, I dont see the point to touching the suspension on a cute Ute, when what it really needs is a massive turbo.

Lol, dude, you're comparing cutting springs on your upside-down Accent to the fine tuning that happens in the OE world by people who have been doing it for decades.

But anyways, no, a massive turbo isn't what's needed.  It's slow, I plan on keeping it slow.  I don't really mind.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Ok, so I've been home sick today and had time to look into a lot of things.  Here's the plan for things to get done to the Element:

-New, stronger rear hatch struts (the OEM ones are way too weak so it sags, and mine are probably worn out a bit already)

-35% tint all around.  The windows are already tinted in the back from the factory, so it'll make the back darker than 35%.  I got sensitive eyes, way too much light coming in at night.

-A few decals

-Plan is to keep the stock ride height.  Going to try and put Bilstein shocks on it though.  Plan is to buy OE replacement shocks from Pep Boys or something, measure it and get the critical information from it and compare it to the prints I have for the CR-V shocks we make to see if I can use those or not.

-Good interior steam clean and clay bar, polish, and wax.

-Considering doing a HID retrofit, but I haven't seen someone do it on an '09 Element yet.

-Same thing I did with the BRZ: clean up all the lighting.  Smoked clear corners, some brighter interior bulbs, get the orange out of the taillights and headlights.

I think that's it.  All and all, a much shorter and cheaper list than the one I have for the BRZ right now.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Hmmm. I'd kill my self having to live with an A/T in that thing but it'll be nice to have a do-all rig in the stable. It's nice to be able to drive most anywhere with a bunch of blokes and gear.

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on November 18, 2013, 07:56:24 PM
Hmmm. I'd kill my self having to live with an A/T in that thing but it'll be nice to have a do-all rig in the stable. It's nice to be able to drive most anywhere with a bunch of blokes and gear.

Why's that?  Too slow?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Any time I've driven an I4 with an A/T it's been murder on my psyche. My Tacoma was of course gutless but at least it had the 5 M/T to keep my thoughts occupied elsewhere.

Rupert

I imagine it depends on the A/T... I would prefer my utility vehicle had an auto, though.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on November 18, 2013, 06:36:31 PM
Lol, dude, you're comparing cutting springs on your upside-down Accent to the fine tuning that happens in the OE world by people who have been doing it for decades.

But anyways, no, a massive turbo isn't what's needed.  It's slow, I plan on keeping it slow.  I don't really mind.

LOOlOLOL. The car is no longer upside down, so find another irrelevant insult. And the only thing you have been doing for decades is pissing and moaning. So dont presume to know shit about what I am doing just because you are a small peon in a shock factory. I, on the other hand, have been obsessed with automotive suspension dynamics for my entire life that I can remember. It is not necessarily a healthy thing, but I will be god damned if I let anybody tell me I have no idea what I'm doing.

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on November 18, 2013, 03:38:18 PM
*le sigh*

Sorry, I'll go ahead and cover it in Monster decals and strap a wind surfing stunt kayak to the roof.

No, that's what everyone's doing to WRXs and Fiestas right now 'cause Ken Block is hella tight yo.

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 19, 2013, 07:44:01 PM
LOOlOLOL. The car is no longer upside down, so find another irrelevant insult. And the only thing you have been doing for decades is pissing and moaning. So dont presume to know shit about what I am doing just because you are a small peon in a shock factory. I, on the other hand, have been obsessed with automotive suspension dynamics for my entire life that I can remember. It is not necessarily a healthy thing, but I will be god damned if I let anybody tell me I have no idea what I'm doing.

Shucks.  Guess I've been doing it wrong this whole time.  I should have been failing remedial math classes like you,  right? ;)
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on November 19, 2013, 08:27:30 PM
Shucks.  Guess I've been doing it wrong this whole time.  I should have been failing remedial math classes like you,  right? ;)

Remedial what, calculus? Lol. Keep making up ad hominem bullshit and enlarge your asshole. Asshole.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 19, 2013, 07:44:01 PM

Stop being such a broken-ass tantrum-throwing little bitch. Jesus H. Christ.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Secret Chimp on November 19, 2013, 08:32:49 PM
Stop being such a broken-ass tantrum-throwing little bitch. Jesus H. Christ.

When are you assholes to get your shit together?

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 19, 2013, 08:32:47 PM
Remedial what, calculus? Lol. Keep making up ad hominem bullshit and enlarge your asshole. Asshole.

Calculus? Psssh, who needs it, right?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on November 19, 2013, 08:38:48 PM
Calculus? Psssh, who needs it, right?

I dont need to memorize math rules to understand how suspension works, apparently way better than you do. You cant memorize your way into tuning a car in the real world. Go show your mom the A+ happy face on your math test. Maybe she will give you another blank check so you can pay for some actual automotive education.