Honda Element

Started by MrH, November 17, 2013, 10:25:30 AM

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2013, 09:58:46 AM
I dont need to memorize math rules to understand how suspension works, apparently way better than you do. You cant memorize your way into tuning a car in the real world. Go show your mom the A+ happy face on your math test. Maybe she will give you another blank check so you can pay for some actual automotive education.

You're trying to talk down the guy who actually engineers parts for cars.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on November 18, 2013, 07:26:37 PM
Ok, so I've been home sick today and had time to look into a lot of things.  Here's the plan for things to get done to the Element:

-New, stronger rear hatch struts (the OEM ones are way too weak so it sags, and mine are probably worn out a bit already)

-35% tint all around.  The windows are already tinted in the back from the factory, so it'll make the back darker than 35%.  I got sensitive eyes, way too much light coming in at night.

-A few decals

-Plan is to keep the stock ride height.  Going to try and put Bilstein shocks on it though.  Plan is to buy OE replacement shocks from Pep Boys or something, measure it and get the critical information from it and compare it to the prints I have for the CR-V shocks we make to see if I can use those or not.

-Good interior steam clean and clay bar, polish, and wax.

-Considering doing a HID retrofit, but I haven't seen someone do it on an '09 Element yet.

-Same thing I did with the BRZ: clean up all the lighting.  Smoked clear corners, some brighter interior bulbs, get the orange out of the taillights and headlights.

I think that's it.  All and all, a much shorter and cheaper list than the one I have for the BRZ right now.

It's too bright in there at night, so you're going to tint the windows, but then add brighter interior bulbs?   :hmm:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Secret Chimp on November 20, 2013, 10:50:28 AM

And you work at a call center, so keep bullshitting.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Oh yeah, I made a fake crab meat salad sandwich for lunch. That fact has just as much to do with you guys being assholes as anything else you have tried to argue about me.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on November 20, 2013, 10:56:47 AM
It's too bright in there at night, so you're going to tint the windows, but then add brighter interior bulbs?   :hmm:

:lol:  Used to HID headlights, so the switch back to halogens is tough.  But my eyes are really sensitive to idiots that drive around with misaligned headlights or there highbeams all the time.  Some tint will cut down on that dramatically.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: Secret Chimp on November 20, 2013, 10:50:28 AM

It's a lost cause.  Look at his last few posts.  He's completely gone off the deep end.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on November 20, 2013, 11:10:05 AM
It's a lost cause.  Look at his last few posts.  He's completely gone off the deep end.

Just keep going with your ad hominem and avoid backing up all the bullshit insults you've thrown at my work. Pure asshole.

GoCougs

It's masterful trolling. It has to be.

MrH

If it was masterful, it'd have to at least be a bit clever.  There's none of that here.  Just tireless rambling.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2013, 11:06:29 AM
And you work at a call center, so keep bullshitting.

That was four years ago.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2013, 11:08:55 AM
Oh yeah, I made a fake crab meat salad sandwich for lunch. That fact has just as much to do with you guys being assholes as anything else you have tried to argue about me.

You know what that shit actually is?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

68_427

Let's give this thread less suck

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 20, 2013, 03:11:31 PM
You know what that shit actually is?

Unspecified white fish, egg whites, wheat flour, artificial coloures and flavoures.

Rupert

Quote from: 68_427 on November 20, 2013, 05:14:47 PM
Let's give this thread less suck

Wait, then why is there a picture of an Element?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2013, 06:29:35 PM
Unspecified white fish, egg whites, wheat flour, artificial coloures and flavoures.

Yes. Fish. All of it. Made into a paste.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Quick recap of the last few days.

I was having some shitty brake pedal feel.  I was braking fine around town and felt like they were probably strong enough to lock up the wheels, but they were super spongy.  The scary part was at a stop, if I pressed hard enough, I could push the pedal to the floor eventually.  Friend and I figured the master cylinder was going.  Took it to the Honda dealership a few blocks away, and sure enough, failed o-ring on the master cylinder.  Dealership I bought it from is covering half of it, I'm covering the other half.  Something like $225 out of pocket.

Not too happy about it, but given I got the car a few thousand cheaper than I expected, I'll live with it.  Everything else seems pretty solid and I get it back this afternoon.  Then the Box Car takes on the wilderness of south east Ohio this weekend!
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Lol brakes. Braking ruins fuel economy.

Byteme

Quote from: MrH on November 21, 2013, 08:09:45 AM
Quick recap of the last few days.

I was having some shitty brake pedal feel.  I was braking fine around town and felt like they were probably strong enough to lock up the wheels, but they were super spongy.  The scary part was at a stop, if I pressed hard enough, I could push the pedal to the floor eventually.  Friend and I figured the master cylinder was going.  Took it to the Honda dealership a few blocks away, and sure enough, failed o-ring on the master cylinder.  Dealership I bought it from is covering half of it, I'm covering the other half.  Something like $225 out of pocket.

Not too happy about it, but given I got the car a few thousand cheaper than I expected, I'll live with it.  Everything else seems pretty solid and I get it back this afternoon.  Then the Box Car takes on the wilderness of south east Ohio this weekend!

Who cares.

Seriously though.  Why not replace the master yourself.  It's easy enough and a new master can't cost $225 can it?

MrH

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 21, 2013, 04:25:53 PM

Who cares.

Seriously though.  Why not replace the master yourself.  It's easy enough and a new master can't cost $225 can it?

:lol:

A new master cylinder was something like $110.  Plus the cost of new brake fluid.  And I didn't want to drive it 30 miles back to my place on a bad master cylinder.  Not to mention also the time it takes to do it and that I wanted it for this weekend.  An extra $100 to get it done by a Honda tech was well worth the money.

The brakes still don't feel great.  They're better, but still pretty shitty.  Maybe I'm just expecting too much coming from the BRZ.

But first weekend taking it out to the boonies...success.  I love this ugly thing.  I can beat the shit out of it, climb into it muddy, drive it down dirt roads without worrying about it.  I carried a metric fuckton of things with me and a friend (two huge home theater speakers, subwoofer, audio receiver, camera gear, bunch of personal luggage, bunch of booze and snacks) and still had room to spare.

Going to order all the parts and crack open the headlights soon to update them.  Should look very stock, but updated to modern times.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

280Z Turbo

Maybe they didn't bench bleed the master.

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 25, 2013, 10:22:41 AM
Maybe they didn't bench bleed the master.

I thought maybe that was it too.  The brakes grab at the same point in pedal feel consistently, and there's plenty of braking power to lock up the wheels.  You can just slowly mush it to the ground when you're at a stop and the car is running.  It's strange.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

It snot strange, it's air.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

How does the thing drive?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on December 09, 2013, 08:24:05 PM

How does the thing drive?

Like you'd expect :lol:

It's tall, high CG, but kind of stiff.  If it was any softer, I'd be afraid it'd roll over.  My brother just bought a new Rav4.  This thing is 10" taller and 10" shorter in length.  It's just a cube on stilts.

I took it back to the Honda dealership about the brakes.  No air in the system.  The firewall flexes quite a bit and they said the brakes were fine.  Not very comforting there's a good 1/4" + flex in the firewall.  I guess my expectations were too high when it comes to brake feel.

Gas mileage has been between 19-21 mpg, but I drive pretty quick and it's the winter.  If I slow it down, I can get 24-25 mpg on the highway.  This thing is an absolute beast in the snow.  There's probably been three days I wouldn't have been able to get to work in the BRZ, and I blasted right through it in the Element.  The plastic floor is awesome for all the salt and sludge I bring into the car in this weather.  It gets filthy, and I just clean it out.  No carpet is awesome!

I can keep the BRZ floor mats and carpet nice and clean now.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

:rockon:   

Having a utility and fun/driving car= shweet!
Will

S204STi

Quote from: MrH on December 16, 2013, 11:57:00 AM
Like you'd expect :lol:

It's tall, high CG, but kind of stiff.  If it was any softer, I'd be afraid it'd roll over.  My brother just bought a new Rav4.  This thing is 10" taller and 10" shorter in length.  It's just a cube on stilts.

I took it back to the Honda dealership about the brakes.  No air in the system.  The firewall flexes quite a bit and they said the brakes were fine.  Not very comforting there's a good 1/4" + flex in the firewall.  I guess my expectations were too high when it comes to brake feel.

Gas mileage has been between 19-21 mpg, but I drive pretty quick and it's the winter.  If I slow it down, I can get 24-25 mpg on the highway.  This thing is an absolute beast in the snow.  There's probably been three days I wouldn't have been able to get to work in the BRZ, and I blasted right through it in the Element.  The plastic floor is awesome for all the salt and sludge I bring into the car in this weather.  It gets filthy, and I just clean it out.  No carpet is awesome!

I can keep the BRZ floor mats and carpet nice and clean now.

Better pads may correct that... StopTech street performance or Hawk HPS would be good upgrades.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on December 26, 2013, 05:26:33 PM
Better pads may correct that... StopTech street performance or Hawk HPS would be good upgrades.

Sounds more.like it needs some bracing welded onto the firewall. It bet it has something to do with bullshit crash safety or something.