944 hood liner

Started by Rupert, November 17, 2013, 07:33:10 PM

Rupert

Mostly for posterity...

The hood liner in the 944 was disintegrating, so I got a replacement. Took the hood off and scraped off what I could of the old liner, which left behind the old glue. I got a thing of Goo Gone (though I suspect Goof Off or whatever would work, too), sprayed the sticky bits until soaked, and left it overnight. Then today I used a plastic putty knife to scrape off almost all of the glue, and it came off really really easily. I was expecting to fight it for a while, but the overnight soak seems to have worked. The remaining bits got eraser-wheeled and then more goo stuff.

Pretty boring project, I know, but letting the Goo Gone stuff soak overnight seems like a useful bit of info for people to have. :P

Post-degooing:

With the new liner:

I used 3M #80 glue to hold the liner on, and I got the liner from Classic 9, which is a smallish place that does mostly leather work for old cars.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

I might redo mine soon. Eventually, I'll have to do it on the Caddy too. I was kinda hoping you'd used the dynamat type product to see what you thought.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

I'm not confident that those things will stand up to heat all that well. This is supposed to be some kind magic aircraft foam stuff.

Though, I do actually have a bunch of that kind of stuff leftover from another project... D'oh; too late now!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Secret Chimp

3M spray adhesive is magic.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

Focus doesn't even have that crap. I'm picking up good vibrations.

FlatBlackCaddy

You should have left it off, that's like an extra .796 HP.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 18, 2013, 08:19:32 AM

LOLZ

That's sweet- wish I had a garage for cool projects!!
Will

Rupert

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 18, 2013, 08:19:32 AM

The rumor is that the heat from the engine can ruin the paint, or that the hood makes a lot of noise, depending on whether the person you ask says the liner is for heat or for noise. :P

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on November 18, 2013, 02:34:34 PM
The rumor is that the heat from the engine can ruin the paint, or that the hood makes a lot of noise, depending on whether the person you ask says the liner is for heat or for noise. :P

I have seen more than one stripped down street racer with the paint baked off of the hood.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

I'm going to add shit like that to the MX-5 when I fix it up. I'll take off what weight I can in some places so I can fill that bitch up with sound deadening all over the place. Hopefully it will be a wash in the end.

FlatBlackCaddy

The hood will get hotter without the pad, buy you can offset that by increasing the air movement over the outer surface of the hood.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 20, 2013, 09:22:31 AM
The hood will get hotter without the pad, buy you can offset that by increasing the air movement over the outer surface of the hood.

:ohyeah:
Will

CJ

The hood lining serves a dual purpose. It can act as a fire suppressant and also a sound deadened. My friend Jeff's 940 Turbo caught fire a few years ago. He idiotically opened the hood and didn't let the hood lining do its job.

Rupert

Opening the hood is bad because it lets in a huge amount of air, not because the hood liner would somehow put the fire out.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on November 20, 2013, 07:25:10 PM
Opening the hood is bad because it lets in a huge amount of air, not because the hood liner would somehow put the fire out.

Yeah. And it seems like a fabric liner would burn much more easily than a bare sheet metal hood.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

giant_mtb

I feel like most hood liners are probably made to be fire resistant for that very reason. :huh:

Rupert

To put a fire out? That's not what "fire resistant" means. Yes, they're fire resistant, but it's so whatever the material is doesn't catch fire due to an errant spark or make a fire worse.

CJ

Quote from: Rupert on November 20, 2013, 07:25:10 PM

If he would have left the hood shut, the whole thing wouldn't have burnt to the ground. The plastic clips would have melted, dropped the lining, and helped suppress the fire.

Rupert

Uh, still no. For one, there are no plastic clips on most hood liners I know of, and the glue is designed to stand up to intense heat. For another, even if the hood liner did drop onto the engine, that would only be marginally better than just leaving the hood shut. For still another, if the fire is hot enough to melt the plastic clips, you're already pretty fucked. Finally, keeping the hood closed is really only effective if you have a fire extinguisher as well; otherwise, the car will probably burn to the ground, anyway.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on November 22, 2013, 09:18:41 AM
If he would have left the hood shut, the whole thing wouldn't have burnt to the ground. The plastic clips would have melted, dropped the lining, and helped suppress the fire.

Yeah, I just seriously doubt that.

No matter how you cut it, the car would have been a total loss

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on November 22, 2013, 11:08:47 AM
Uh, still no. For one, there are no plastic clips on most hood liners I know of, and the glue is designed to stand up to intense heat. For another, even if the hood liner did drop onto the engine, that would only be marginally better than just leaving the hood shut. For still another, if the fire is hot enough to melt the plastic clips, you're already pretty fucked. Finally, keeping the hood closed is really only effective if you have a fire extinguisher as well; otherwise, the car will probably burn to the ground, anyway.
Most liners I've seen do have plastic mushroom clips holding them in place.
Question:  If you were going to put on a new lines why were you so obsessive on removing every bit of the old glue?  I'd have reached the point where I said "fuck it" and just sprayed new glue over the old. 

Rupert

I looked at the Alfa's liner today when the hood was up, and it's got plastic clips. :P I don't think that affects my point, though.

I had intended to do that, but I wanted to get some of the glue off in case the old glue deteriorated, but it came off so easily after the overnight Goo-Gone soaking that I just went for it. :lol: