6 (85.7%)
Public Transport
0 (0%)
Stay working out of DE
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 20, 2013, 06:20:43 AM
I guess that makes a difference.  I have had to drastically slow down or stop for cars several times to avoid kissing paint- when I was following the laws on the bike. In areas that were NOT urban...

Following the laws is in no way related to good safe city biking. Awareness, eye contact, awareness, right-of-way, awareness, not taking risks you don't need to, awareness; those are the important parts, and really everything else comes from awareness.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on November 20, 2013, 07:23:54 PM
Following the laws is in no way related to good safe city biking. Awareness, eye contact, awareness, right-of-way, awareness, not taking risks you don't need to, awareness; those are the important parts, and really everything else comes from awareness.

right-of-way I had, awareness was exercised on my part, I'm naturally risk-averse, and agree on awareness.
Will

Rupert

I should have added assuming cars don't see you and awareness.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

NomisR

Quote from: Rupert on November 19, 2013, 09:17:57 PM
You are only a victim if you choose to be when it comes to city biking. I'm at no one's mercy.

That's what this rider probably thought too..

BUS DRIVER JAILED FOR ATTACK ON CYCLIST. [ORIGIONAL]

Rupert

Intentional assaults like that are rare enough to be irrelevant to my point.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on November 22, 2013, 11:02:03 AM

+1

NomisR

Quote from: Rupert on November 22, 2013, 11:02:03 AM

You guys take everything too serious..

Rupert

No, that just wasn't funny.

AutobahnSHO

and actually had cyclist been aware, he could have gotten out of the way...  :huh:
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 22, 2013, 05:24:42 PM
and actually had cyclist been aware, he could have gotten out of the way...  :huh:
Where? The bus driver had him boxed in.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Also, busses have their engines in the back. Riding a bike (wind noise) and the engine being 20-30 feet behind you means you probably won't really hear much of the bus coming after you until it's too late.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 22, 2013, 05:46:51 PM
Where? The bus driver had him boxed in.

There was no one to either side of the cyclist.

Clarification- I believe the bus driver is 100000% at fault.!

Will

2o6

A bicycle on 3 miles is like a 15 20 minute ride.

It's also a great way to pick up girls, make friends. People like others who might go for a casual bike ride.

J86

Just bought a 1960-something beach cruiser this weekend.  Looking forward to fixing it up to make a pretty fly commuter.

MrH

A flamboyant Italian scooter.

It's way too hot for a good portion of the year to bicycle into work (in Ohio at least, I imagine it there too).  Motorcycles are bound to kill you within weeks, and you also end up sweating your ass off.  A scooter will go with the ascot-wearing impression of Raza I have. :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on November 20, 2013, 09:26:18 AM
They don't make snow tires for motorcycles?

Yes, its called sheet metal screws on knobbies.

Not for the faint of heart, or the beginner rider.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: MrH on November 25, 2013, 12:50:28 PM
A flamboyant Italian scooter.

It's way too hot for a good portion of the year to bicycle into work (in Ohio at least, I imagine it there too).  Motorcycles are bound to kill you within weeks, and you also end up sweating your ass off.  A scooter will go with the ascot-wearing impression of Raza I have. :lol:

No, no ascots.  Can't do a scooter. 

But you're right.  The last few summers here have been brutal.  Driving a convertible to work in 95F+ is hot enough work, wouldn't want to bike in that weather. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on December 08, 2013, 03:33:55 PM
No, no ascots.  Can't do a scooter. 

But you're right.  The last few summers here have been brutal.  Driving a convertible to work in 95F+ is hot enough work, wouldn't want to bike in that weather. 

The Vespa 150 TAP. No ascots allowed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 09, 2013, 12:57:59 AM

The Vespa 150 TAP. No ascots allowed.

that crap better have upgraded suspension  :lol:
Will

NomisR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 09, 2013, 08:13:39 AM
that crap better have upgraded suspension  :lol:

Mike hooked him up with the suspension for this as well.. :lol:

Onslaught

Drive your car. It's safer then either bike or bicycle. If it rains you don't give a shit. If it snows you don't give a shit. If you pick up a hit girl at happy hour she'll give a shit.
And you already have the car and don't need to buy anything for it. I lives less the half a mile from my job for three years and still drove every day!

NomisR

Yeah, plus, your suicide bomber vest might be too obvious if you're biking with one..