Bicycle
6 (85.7%)
Public Transport
0 (0%)
Stay working out of DE
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Raza

At the beginning of next month, I'm going to start working from the city two weeks a month.  The office is 3 miles away from my house.  Parking is $25 a day, a cab would cost about the same, and a bus is not only a terrible option, it involves a bus and a subway trip, which takes about 28 minutes according to Google.

So I'm thinking about getting a bike or a bike for the commute.  Something cheap and basic for a motorcycle, and I'm talking cheap.  Hundreds, not thousands.

Motorcycle:
Pros:
I've always wanted one
Good gas mileage
Easy storage
Can be used outside of commuting

Cons:
Maintenance
Insurance
Have to learn to ride and get a license
My mom will kill me
Philly drivers might kill me
Weather
Cost of gear?
Motorcycle parking is questionable

Bicycle:
Pros:
Healthy lifestyle option
No gas usage at all
Even easier storage

Cons:
It's a bicycle on city streets, safety issues
Weather is an even bigger concern
Don't know anything about bicycles, so I'd have to rely on you fools to tell me what to buy

Public Transport:
Pros:
Cheap
Somewhat convenient, sort of

Cons:
Trip will take about half an hour, around the same time it takes to drive to my DE office
Safety on the bus--we're talking SEPTA here
Hassle--no one line goes near the office from where I live
It's a bus

Staying in DE:
Pros:
Same routine
I know more people at the office
Driving here is easy most of the time

Cons:
Same routine
Traffic on the way home
Moderate gas usage
Missing out on the great restaurant at the office

I know which way I'm leaning, but I wanted to know what you guys think before I make a decision.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Bicycle, but you posted this in the motorcycle forum, so...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on November 18, 2013, 02:29:39 PM
Bicycle, but you posted this in the motorcycle forum, so...

Yeah, thinking about that, it was a mistake to put it in the motorcycle forum.  Should have put it in General Talk or Head to Head.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

3miles??   To me that is totally bikestuff- should take you like 15min to ride (plus time waiting for lights though)

But city + bike = DANGER...   

You could just walk.  :ohyeah:  Then even if weather is bad, umbrella or whatever...   :lol:
Will

280Z Turbo

Public transport is yuck. Not an option.

12,000 RPM

Gear alone will put the motorcycle out of your budget.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 18, 2013, 06:32:10 PM
3miles??   To me that is totally bikestuff- should take you like 15min to ride (plus time waiting for lights though)

But city + bike = DANGER...   

You could just walk.  :ohyeah:  Then even if weather is bad, umbrella or whatever...   :lol:

If you know what you're doing, city bicycling is not particularly dangerous.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on November 19, 2013, 02:57:25 AM
If you know what you're doing, city bicycling is not particularly dangerous.

I have ridden since I was in 2nd grade, I've ridden on 4 continents, no matter how safe a cyclist dresses and behaves, they're still at the mercy of tards with steering wheels...

I guess my post did sound like "don't do it!!!!!" but for someone who I get the impression isn't even used to riding much (Raza), to just jump into a city commute seems iffy to me. :huh:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Will

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 18, 2013, 07:10:23 PM
Gear alone will put the motorcycle out of your budget.

How much can gear cost?  Helmet, jacket, gloves?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on November 19, 2013, 08:38:05 AM
How much can gear cost?  Helmet, jacket, gloves?
Helmet... ~150 for a decent one IMO. I guess you could get away with a $100 if you are just commuting.
Jacket.... ~$100 for now but if you have a decent leather jacket, again you should be fine commuting.
Gloves... $50 or so

Don't forget BOOTS. My left foot is permanently fucked because I went down w/a leather sole boot. You could probably get away with steel toe construction boots but I would pony up for real riding boots.. So you'd be in for like $400 right there. I don't think there's any such thing as a $500 motorcycle worth buying. *MAYBE* a scooter if you could overcome the stigma (I couldn't).

MX793

Your typical fashionable leather jacket won't be nearly sturdy enough to provide any real abrasion protection.  I have a leather bomber jacket and an inexpensive leather motorcycle jacket (no armor) and the leather is twice as thick on the latter.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 19, 2013, 10:18:50 AM
Helmet... ~150 for a decent one IMO. I guess you could get away with a $100 if you are just commuting.
Jacket.... ~$100 for now but if you have a decent leather jacket, again you should be fine commuting.
Gloves... $50 or so

Don't forget BOOTS. My left foot is permanently fucked because I went down w/a leather sole boot. You could probably get away with steel toe construction boots but I would pony up for real riding boots.. So you'd be in for like $400 right there. I don't think there's any such thing as a $500 motorcycle worth buying. *MAYBE* a scooter if you could overcome the stigma (I couldn't).

Uh, what about all the guys I see riding in shorts, Timberlands, and t-shirts with no helmet?  They seem pretty safe to me.  :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on November 19, 2013, 11:46:10 AM
Uh, what about all the guys I see riding in shorts, Timberlands, and t-shirts with no helmet?  They seem pretty safe to me.  :lol:

sure!    :facepalm:
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Bike! Motorcycle will do you no good in the snow!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 19, 2013, 10:18:50 AM
Gloves... $50 or so

i have Joe Rocket riding shoe that are enough for street use. They're shaped like a high top sneaker but have all the protection you need for regulariding! 100 bucks...

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on November 19, 2013, 11:46:10 AM

If the T-shirt has a Harley Davidson logo then that is perfectly acceptable.  It's a widely believed fact that a Harley logo on a cotton T-shirt gives it the same protective qualities as a fully armored racing jacket.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

J86

bicycle makes the most sense by far to me

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on November 19, 2013, 05:33:37 PM
If the T-shirt has a Harley Davidson logo then that is perfectly acceptable.  It's a widely believed fact that a Harley logo on a cotton T-shirt gives it the same protective qualities as a fully armored racing jacket.
:cheers:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: J86 on November 19, 2013, 07:09:57 PM
bicycle makes the most sense by far to me

+1  walking is too slow.

3miles= perfectly bikeable
Will

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 19, 2013, 07:20:12 AM
I have ridden since I was in 2nd grade, I've ridden on 4 continents, no matter how safe a cyclist dresses and behaves, they're still at the mercy of tards with steering wheels...

I guess my post did sound like "don't do it!!!!!" but for someone who I get the impression isn't even used to riding much (Raza), to just jump into a city commute seems iffy to me. :huh:

You are only a victim if you choose to be when it comes to city biking. I'm at no one's mercy.

12,000 RPM

Yea I rode in NYC for years. The 2 crashes I had were 100% my fault. If you are a competent driver you will be a competent cyclist.

The only thing I would not do is ride on a road where cars have more than a ~20MPH speed gap over me. At 50, 60 MPH they will not see you coming. Riding in the city was actually kind of safe because with the traffic I was either riding at the same speed as cars or riding faster than them. Definitely find a route that avoids fast traffic as much as possible. If you cant then I would consider the moto. Looking at your CL there are actually some decent bikes, and now is the season to buy.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/4184056413.html

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 20, 2013, 05:40:48 AM
Riding in the city was actually kind of safe because with the traffic I was either riding at the same speed as cars or riding faster than them.

I guess that makes a difference.  I have had to drastically slow down or stop for cars several times to avoid kissing paint- when I was following the laws on the bike. In areas that were NOT urban...
Will

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on November 19, 2013, 04:57:12 PM
Bike! Motorcycle will do you no good in the snow!

They don't make snow tires for motorcycles?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on November 20, 2013, 09:26:18 AM
They don't make snow tires for motorcycles?

No.  Closest you'll get is a street legal knobby (enduro tire), and even with those I wouldn't want to ride in snow on anything but a dirt bike.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on November 20, 2013, 10:12:57 AM
No.  Closest you'll get is a street legal knobby (enduro tire), and even with those I wouldn't want to ride in snow on anything but a dirt bike.

Business opportunity!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

shp4man

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on November 20, 2013, 01:33:14 PM
Here ya go!  :lol:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bid/4203782525.html

That doesnt look terrible for the start of a commuting career...

And I'd highly recommend a used Nice bike rather than a cheap walmart-type bike...
Will

Speed_Racer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 20, 2013, 02:28:02 PM
That doesnt look terrible for the start of a commuting career...

And I'd highly recommend a used Nice bike rather than a cheap walmart-type bike...

Agreed, since they typically cost the same.

High quality used bike > Low quality new bike

Rupert