FFFFFFFFFFFFFF..... 91 in a 65 in Jersey

Started by 12,000 RPM, December 07, 2013, 04:35:54 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: hounddog on December 08, 2013, 02:44:25 AM
:lol: Thanks.  My being back is likely temporary, as I have found myself with considerable downtime lately with not feeling 100% and so on. 

I was not aware that was Sporty. 

Why did he start an entirely new account instead of just having the boss's rename it for him?

Long story...I'll let him tell it.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great.  Hope to hear you're feeling much better soon.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

12,000 RPM

Quote from: dazzleman on December 07, 2013, 11:06:36 PM
Dude, if you want to send me a scan of the ticket privately, I'll look it over and inquire on your behalf (not using your name) if you'd like.

I've had a few buddies with New York licenses who have gotten speeding tickets outside New York in recent years, and they were the ones who told me that only a couple of Canadian provinces are reciprocal with New York in terms of violations appearing on your license.  The NYS DMV website is pretty clear about it. 

Don't get confused about the much broader compact among states to suspend home state licenses of drivers who fail to answer out-of-state tickets.  Many people think that means violations are reciprocal among those states, but that's not true.  The home state only gets informed if you fail to pay the ticket or appear in court to get it dismissed.

You really need to take a closer look at the ticket.  As I said, I can help look it over for you if you'd like.  But just the fact that he gave you a ticket and let you drive off makes me think the ticket is no more serious than speeding.  Heavy speeding, yes, but not at the next level.

Is this your first ticket?  I don't remember you ever mentioning one before.  Trust me, by the 5th or 6th, they get a lot easier to deal with.... :lol:

When I got my ticket in New York back in late May, I checked the CT DMV website to see about out-of-state violations, but it was very vague.  So I emailed my question to the DMV and they came back telling me it would not appear on my license as long as I paid it.

Alright I am going to unpack the car today so I will send you a scan. I do appreciate it. I got a few speeding tickets in my youth, but wisened up to where enforcement is stricter and also just started driving like *less* of an asshole. I do believe there is a court date on it but only if I choose to plead not guilty. It's $220 which is nothing. I looked up the law and NJ only gets serious for speeding 30 MPH+. I was only doing 26 over. Its still 5 points though.

NC seems a lot stricter. Long story short if I were convicted of this here my license would be suspended for 30 days which would be a real pain. So I am definitely hoping it doesn't get sent over.

Another weird thing was my plates don't match my registration. When the cop saw that all his buddies came by like I was a potential felon, but then I guess they saw the shit was registered and insured under my name and calmed down. That was fucking scary. No issue though and no ticket for that.

hounddog I needed a break. I went to the NYC GTG and people said to sign back up, so I thought about it and I did.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Ok, first question:

Do you have an NC issued driver's license or a NY license? 

If you are still licensed in NY and haven't switched over to an NC license, then NC cannot under any circumstances suspend your license, nor do they have any control over your driving record.  NJ will report to NY and NY won't add anything to your driving record unless it was a drug/alcohol related offense.  NY will suspend your license only if you fail to respond to the ticket (either pay the fine or manage to get it thrown out in court).  And since it doesn't show up on your driving record, you insurance company shouldn't find out about it either.  Pay the fine and you're home free.

If your valid license is in NC and you gave the police your old, technically invalid (you can't be licensed in two states simultaneously) NY license, well, you gave the police a bogus ID.  It probably won't ever get picked up as long as you pay the fine.  Since you gave them a NY license, it shouldn't get back to NC unless NY's system identifies that you changed your license over to NC and directs information there.  I somehow doubt interstate communication between DOTs/DMVs is that good.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 08, 2013, 07:36:12 AM
Alright I am going to unpack the car today so I will send you a scan. I do appreciate it. I got a few speeding tickets in my youth, but wisened up to where enforcement is stricter and also just started driving like *less* of an asshole. I do believe there is a court date on it but only if I choose to plead not guilty. It's $220 which is nothing. I looked up the law and NJ only gets serious for speeding 30 MPH+. I was only doing 26 over. Its still 5 points though.

NC seems a lot stricter. Long story short if I were convicted of this here my license would be suspended for 30 days which would be a real pain. So I am definitely hoping it doesn't get sent over.

Another weird thing was my plates don't match my registration. When the cop saw that all his buddies came by like I was a potential felon, but then I guess they saw the shit was registered and insured under my name and calmed down. That was fucking scary. No issue though and no ticket for that.

hounddog I needed a break. I went to the NYC GTG and people said to sign back up, so I thought about it and I did.

I'm happy to help.  I don't think you really have a problem.  I just want to get you from the point where you're worried about your ticket to the point where you're proud of it.  Because you should be.   As I said before, that's a damn fine ticket and I have to confess that I'm a bit jealous that I've never gotten nailed at such an impressive speed.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on December 08, 2013, 08:09:10 AM
Ok, first question:

Do you have an NC issued driver's license or a NY license? 

If you are still licensed in NY and haven't switched over to an NC license, then NC cannot under any circumstances suspend your license, nor do they have any control over your driving record.  NJ will report to NY and NY won't add anything to your driving record unless it was a drug/alcohol related offense.  NY will suspend your license only if you fail to respond to the ticket (either pay the fine or manage to get it thrown out in court).  And since it doesn't show up on your driving record, you insurance company shouldn't find out about it either.  Pay the fine and you're home free.

If your valid license is in NC and you gave the police your old, technically invalid (you can't be licensed in two states simultaneously) NY license, well, you gave the police a bogus ID.  It probably won't ever get picked up as long as you pay the fine.  Since you gave them a NY license, it shouldn't get back to NC unless NY's system identifies that you changed your license over to NC and directs information there.  I somehow doubt interstate communication between DOTs/DMVs is that good.

I have an NC license now. I needed it to register my car.

From the sounds of this, I will just pay the fine. Sounds like too much has to line up for it to get back to my insurer.

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 08, 2013, 08:57:39 AM
I have an NC license now. I needed it to register my car.

From the sounds of this, I will just pay the fine. Sounds like too much has to line up for it to get back to my insurer.

I'm confused.  You said you gave them a NY license when you got pulled over.  When I switched my license to Connecticut, I had to surrender my NY license.  How do you have a license from 2 states?

I'm waiting for Cougs to weigh in on this.  He'll probably advise you to spend $1,000 on a lawyer to try to get out of a $220 fine... :lol:

What road did you get nailed on?  The New Jersey Turnpike?  I had a great drive up that road once from Washington early on a Sunday morning and I was driving at a similar speed to you.  I did see at one point on the other side that a whole bunch of cars got ambushed the way you did.  The troopers had what looked like about 10 cars pulled over and lined up getting tickets.  Seeing that only made me want to go faster.... :lol:

dazzleman

It's funny how much more comfortable many of us are in confiding stuff to our CarSPIN buddies than some people in real life.  When I got my speeding ticket, I wouldn't have dreamed of posting it on Facebook, but of course I posted it here.  I see Sporty has done the same thing.

12,000 RPM

When I got my NC license they didn't make me suspend by NY license. I know they knew I had it because they wouldn't let me register my cars in NC without an NC license.

I got dinged on I-78. My last speeding ticket was on the Turnpike about 4-5 years ago. I definitely still speed, but I usually keep it to within 10-15 MPH above the limit.

And only SPINNERs would understand basically racing an X5 on public streets which is pretty much what was going on. Thankfully I didn't get dinged for that too or I probably wouldn't be here posting. I'm not complaining about the consequences... I knew what the deal was. Still sucks though. I just wanted to get home to my baby

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 08, 2013, 09:18:57 AM
When I got my NC license they didn't make me suspend by NY license. I know they knew I had it because they wouldn't let me register my cars in NC without an NC license.

I got dinged on I-78. My last speeding ticket was on the Turnpike about 4-5 years ago. I definitely still speed, but I usually keep it to within 10-15 MPH above the limit.

And only SPINNERs would understand basically racing an X5 on public streets which is pretty much what was going on. Thankfully I didn't get dinged for that too or I probably wouldn't be here posting. I'm not complaining about the consequences... I knew what the deal was. Still sucks though. I just wanted to get home to my baby

It is what it is.  I speed for sport, mostly, and like you, I know the deal and that you have to accept the consequences if you get nailed.  I learned long ago that I can control how I react to these things, and I choose to react with good humor rather than getting upset.

Don't let an occasional ticket slow you down.  Man up and keep speeding.  :devil:

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: dazzleman on December 08, 2013, 09:23:09 AM
It is what it is.  I speed for sport, mostly, and like you, I know the deal and that you have to accept the consequences if you get nailed.  I learned long ago that I can control how I react to these things, and I choose to react with good humor rather than getting upset.

Don't let an occasional ticket slow you down.  Man up and keep speeding.  :devil:
No way. I enjoy pushing my car but I should really take it to the track. I'd rather put my money towards track days and upgrades than tickets and insurance. I just need to control myself.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on December 08, 2013, 10:05:07 AM
It'd be a 6 point offense in NY.
WOW! I thought Ohio was tough. My friend Will got caught 100+ (he actually was originally clocked at 96 but the LEO clocked him at 140 while trying to chase him down) in a 65 and "Only" got 4 points.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 08, 2013, 10:11:52 AM
No way. I enjoy pushing my car but I should really take it to the track. I'd rather put my money towards track days and upgrades than tickets and insurance. I just need to control myself.

I don't mean race.  But we all know how painful it is to drive within 10 mph of the speed limit.  It feels like crawling.

bing_oh

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 08, 2013, 09:18:57 AMWhen I got my NC license they didn't make me suspend by NY license. I know they knew I had it because they wouldn't let me register my cars in NC without an NC license.

You can't hold two valid licenses from two different states. You either live in NY or NC and your state of residence is where your license should be from. It's not the state's responsibility to "make" you suspend or destroy your old license when you get a new one in another state...it's yours. You're potentially committing a criminal act (much more than just a simple traffic infraction) by applying for and keeping two different licenses, not to mention giving one to an officer on a stop that you know is no longer valid. That neither NY or NC has discovered that you have two licenses is surprising, since most states check such things. You're probably lucky that you didn't get hooked up for some form of criminal falsification for providing your old license to the officer who stopped you.

GoCougs

Yes, absolutely if it were me I'd pay that $1,000 to a lawyer. I have a perfect track record fighting tickets so I'd have no qualms about it. But that is this state. I don't know how easy it is to game NY's system.

It saves big money on insurance, and protecting reputation is vital as driving record can be used against you - for anything from eligibility to rent a car, to getting a job, to being used against you in a civil proceeding esp. one involving an accident.

And your license would get suspended for 91 in a 65 in NC? Jesus holy hell that his laughable "speed kills" hegemony personified. I'd absolutely never live in such a messed up state. This whole concept of points is ridiculous too. I'd never put up with it.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on December 08, 2013, 11:29:29 AM
Yes, absolutely if it were me I'd pay that $1,000 to a lawyer. I have a perfect track record fighting tickets so I'd have no qualms about it. But that is this state. I don't know how easy it is to game NY's system.

It saves big money on insurance, and protecting reputation is vital as driving record can be used against you - for anything from eligibility to rent a car, to getting a job, to being used against you in a civil proceeding esp. one involving an accident.

And your license would get suspended for 91 in a 65 in NC? Jesus holy hell that his laughable "speed kills" hegemony personified. I'd absolutely never live in such a messed up state. This whole concept of points is ridiculous too. I'd never put up with it.
So if you got the perfect job in a cool neighborhood in a state with plenty of drag strips and race tracks you wouldn't move there because of overly tough traffic laws :wtf:

MX793

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on December 08, 2013, 10:26:20 AM
WOW! I thought Ohio was tough. My friend Will got caught 100+ (he actually was originally clocked at 96 but the LEO clocked him at 140 while trying to chase him down) in a 65 and "Only" got 4 points.

For NY
1-10 over = 3 pts
11-20 over = 4 pts
21-30 over = 6 pts
31-40 over = 8 pts
41+ over = 11 pts (automatic suspension)

A total of 11 points in 18 months or 3 speeding infractions in 18 months (regardless of total points) results in license suspension.
Needs more Jiggawatts

dazzleman

Quote from: MX793 on December 08, 2013, 11:41:02 AM
For NY
1-10 over = 3 pts
11-20 over = 4 pts
21-30 over = 6 pts
31-40 over = 8 pts
41+ over = 11 pts (automatic suspension)

A total of 11 points in 18 months or 3 speeding infractions in 18 months (regardless of total points) results in license suspension.

I have 3 points on my NY record because of my ticket there last May.  It would have been 6 points if the trooper hadn't reduced my speed on the ticket.

dazzleman

You've changed your tune in the last 6 years.... :lol:

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2007, 09:49:31 PM
I think most would agree 15 over does deserve a ticket on all but the largest and most barren of freeways. IMO, the no-ticket threshold should be 10 over or less; unless it's a crowded arterial, school zone, etc.

I just got popped two weeks ago for 65 in a 55 on a four lane controlled access highway. The citing officer didn't even check my insurance, or call in my license. It was literally a two minute process. 

Nonetheless, as at least a few have stated, that's the game: people know the consequences if caught.

I, like many, don't want to take at least half a day to go to a court date; in this specific case my only recourse would be to lie - which I'm not going to do.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 08, 2013, 11:37:30 AM
So if you got the perfect job in a cool neighborhood in a state with plenty of drag strips and race tracks you wouldn't move there because of overly tough traffic laws :wtf:

Impossible premise, as was mine - I'd never leave the Seattle area.

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on December 08, 2013, 12:04:51 PM
You've changed your tune in the last 6 years.... :lol:

Oh, I think that's consistent. 91 in a 65 on a vacant modern freeway ain't nothing. Throw in heavy traffic or driving rain and it starts to be a problem. Oh, and I still don't waste half a day going to court ;) - I'll let someone else lie for me! (Though in reality my traffic lawyers don't argue the merits of the case.)

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on December 08, 2013, 01:04:50 PM
Oh, I think that's consistent. 91 in a 65 on a vacant modern freeway ain't nothing. Throw in heavy traffic or driving rain and it starts to be a problem. Oh, and I still don't waste half a day going to court ;) - I'll let someone else lie for me! (Though in reality my traffic lawyers don't argue the merits of the case.)

You're very good at mental gymnastics.  So 10 over in a 55 zone = take your medicine and pay up, while 91 in a 65 ain't nothing. Got you.... ;) :lol:

Raza

Speeding in Jersey?  Come on, man, rookie mistake.  Fascist speed limit enforcement out there. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on December 08, 2013, 02:38:43 PM
Speeding in Jersey?  Come on, man, rookie mistake.  Fascist speed limit enforcement out there.

I thought Pennsylvania was worse.

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on December 08, 2013, 02:39:51 PM
I thought Pennsylvania was worse.

Pennsylvania is bad, but NJ is much, much worse.  Of the states I drive in regularly, namely NJ, PA, and DE, PA is the easiest to speed in regularly. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on December 08, 2013, 02:41:07 PM
Pennsylvania is bad, but NJ is much, much worse.  Of the states I drive in regularly, namely NJ, PA, and DE, PA is the easiest to speed in regularly.

Do you actually refrain from speeding in New Jersey?

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on December 08, 2013, 02:47:00 PM
Do you actually refrain from speeding in New Jersey?

I take it easier, that's for sure.  On some highways it's difficult because the average speed there is insane sometimes.  I remember doing 90+ on the NJT and being passed left and right. 

Most of my driving in NJ these days is on the ACE, so I usually don't do more than 10 over on that.  Too many piggies and too many spots for them to hide. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TurboDan

The ticket was in NJ, and you don't even need to game the system here. They actually give you a mulligan called "unsafe operation" which you can use once every two years, or something like that. Basically, the moving violation goes away and you pay a very inflated fine (between $300 and $400). People use it if they're on the brink of license suspension or fearful of big insurance hikes (young people use it a lot).

I don't understand the point of trying to "game" the system for a simple speeding ticket that you know you're guilty of in the first place, but that's a debate for another day.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on December 08, 2013, 02:38:43 PM

New Jersey's speed enforcement is pretty tame compared to a lot of places. Delaware is terrible, Maryland is slightly worse and Virginia is absolutely nuts. Pennsylvania gets bad on I-95 north of Philly when you're heading towards Trenton. Philly PD doesn't really do a lot of traffic stuff but the troopers are brutal when you get outside the city limits.