FFFFFFFFFFFFFF..... 91 in a 65 in Jersey

Started by 12,000 RPM, December 07, 2013, 04:35:54 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on December 08, 2013, 03:59:07 PM
New Jersey's speed enforcement is pretty tame compared to a lot of places. Delaware is terrible, Maryland is slightly worse and Virginia is absolutely nuts. Pennsylvania gets bad on I-95 north of Philly when you're heading towards Trenton. Philly PD doesn't really do a lot of traffic stuff but the troopers are brutal when you get outside the city limits.

You've had a long dry spell.  You need to step up your game.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

hounddog

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on December 08, 2013, 04:03:38 PM
You've had a long dry spell.  You need to step up your game.

Yeah, I believe it was the fall of 2004 when I got my last ticket. It was 87 in a 65. It's tougher to speed in an SUV... the "thrill" isn't really there.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on December 08, 2013, 10:32:55 PM
Yeah, I believe it was the fall of 2004 when I got my last ticket. It was 87 in a 65. It's tougher to speed in an SUV... the "thrill" isn't really there.

Get a better vehicle then.  The emperor of a car forum needs a suitable car for fun driving.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on December 08, 2013, 03:59:07 PM
New Jersey's speed enforcement is pretty tame compared to a lot of places. Delaware is terrible, Maryland is slightly worse and Virginia is absolutely nuts. Pennsylvania gets bad on I-95 north of Philly when you're heading towards Trenton. Philly PD doesn't really do a lot of traffic stuff but the troopers are brutal when you get outside the city limits.

I've literally done tens of thousands of miles on I-95 between Princeton and Wilmington.  Jersey and DE are definitely worse.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on December 09, 2013, 04:00:11 AM
Get a better vehicle then.  The emperor of a car forum needs a suitable car for fun driving.

Ehh, we'll see. I do need something that can A) drive on the beach and B) tow a boat. Not many (any?) fun cars can do that. We'll see what the next purchase will be. If the LR can stay around to do "utilitarian" stuff I wouldn't mind getting a GTI or a used Z4.

Laconian

I had a nightmare in which I was caught doing 120 in a 35. I blame this thread.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on December 09, 2013, 07:45:43 PM

Were you arrested in the dream?

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on December 09, 2013, 07:49:56 PM
Were you arrested in the dream?
Yes. I didn't remember speeding so I was vehement about my innocence. The cop was saying things like, "you have too much power in that car, it's no wonder why you sped so fast", etc.

This is probably what police interactions are like in Russia if you can't muster the bribe.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on December 09, 2013, 08:19:07 PM
Yes. I didn't remember speeding so I was vehement about my innocence. The cop was saying things like, "you have too much power in that car, it's no wonder why you sped so fast", etc.

This is probably what police interactions are like in Russia if you can't muster the bribe.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on December 08, 2013, 11:29:29 AM
Yes, absolutely if it were me I'd pay that $1,000 to a lawyer. I have a perfect track record fighting tickets so I'd have no qualms about it. But that is this state. I don't know how easy it is to game NY's system.

It saves big money on insurance, and protecting reputation is vital as driving record can be used against you - for anything from eligibility to rent a car, to getting a job, to being used against you in a civil proceeding esp. one involving an accident.

And your license would get suspended for 91 in a 65 in NC? Jesus holy hell that his laughable "speed kills" hegemony personified. I'd absolutely never live in such a messed up state. This whole concept of points is ridiculous too. I'd never put up with it.

In practice probably not, but it could be. NC's speed code and point system is a little draconian, but in the real world enforcement isn't particularly stringent, and there are usually remedies available to protect your license should you get caught.

As far as the "I'd never live" nonsense, I sincerely doubt speeding tickets have the slightest impact on your major life decisions, or that you have the foggiest notion of the different nuances in interstate motor vehicle statutes.

Although in case you actually care, Washington regards any amount of speed in excess of the posted limits as prima facie evidence of reckless driving (RCW 46.61.465) and authorizes suspension for reckless driving convictions (RCW 46.61.500).
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on December 09, 2013, 07:45:43 PM

I had a similar nightmare once, where I was pulled over by the cops who shot Amadou Diallo.  It was not a fun dream.  This was before CarSPIN existed though.  I was working on a paper and presentation on hate crime legislation. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on December 10, 2013, 02:08:07 PM
I had a similar nightmare once, where I was pulled over by the cops who shot Amadou Diallo.  It was not a fun dream.  This was before CarSPIN existed though.  I was working on a paper and presentation on hate crime legislation.

Yeah, I guess if you were an illegal alien who ran from the cops and didn't speak any English and refused to comply with their orders, you'd have something to worry about there. Legal immigration rules include knowing the language for a reason.  :rolleyes:

12,000 RPM

Well NJ lawyers got word of my ticket and started sending stuff over... looks like I'm screwed, I already paid the ticket. I wonder if I can reverse my plea

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2013, 02:13:19 PM
Well NJ lawyers got word of my ticket and started sending stuff over... looks like I'm screwed, I already paid the ticket. I wonder if I can reverse my plea

Why are you screwed?

12,000 RPM

They sent the letters to this address. If the lawyers know odds are the court and state know, so this shit will come back to my NC record. I should have just waited and called some lawyers down there. I paid the ticket so I plead guilty. I'm fucked

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2013, 02:28:03 PM
They sent the letters to this address. If the lawyers know odds are the court and state know, so this shit will come back to my NC record. I should have just waited and called some lawyers down there. I paid the ticket so I plead guilty. I'm fucked

But I thought you gave the cop you're New York license?  Just forget the fucking thing.  It's a lot harder for it to show up on your license than it is for an ambulance chaser lawyer to find out about it.

12,000 RPM

I did. I can't just forget it. The world doesn't work that way.

Soup DeVille

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact

Almost all states exchange citation information. New Jersey asesses only 2 points per civil infraction, regardless if the penalties are higher in other states.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2013, 02:37:59 PM
I did. I can't just forget it. The world doesn't work that way.

I don't know what to tell you now.  I offered to anonymously make the necessary inquiries for you so you could have all the facts before you just paid it.  I think you just reacted too emotionally to the whole thing and weren't really thinking logically.  What's done is done.  I don't think anything is going to happen anyway.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 14, 2013, 02:42:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact

Almost all states exchange citation information. New Jersey asesses only 2 points per civil infraction, regardless if the penalties are higher in other states.

IIRC, you get the points that your home state would give you for the infraction, not what the state where the actual infraction occurred would give you.

According to the NC driver's manual:
"Convictions occurring outside North Carolina may result in your license being
suspended or revoked just as if the violations occurred in this state."

The key word here being "may".  Also, we don't know if word of the ticket will ever reach NC because he gave the police a NY license.  The NJ lawyers likely used an address service to locate his current, NC mailing address.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 14, 2013, 02:56:42 PM
IIRC, you get the points that your home state would give you for the infraction, not what the state where the actual infraction occurred would give you.

According to the NC driver's manual:
"Convictions occurring outside North Carolina may result in your license being
suspended or revoked just as if the violations occurred in this state."

The key word here being "may".  Also, we don't know if word of the ticket will ever reach NC because he gave the police a NY license.  The NJ lawyers likely used an address service to locate his current, NC mailing address.

That's correct.

The most currently issued license is the one that all the points will attach to, regardless of which one he gave them. Penalty points wil be "awarded" according to the North Carolina schedule, not the New Jersey schedule.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

He gave the cop a New York license and New York doesn't transfer violations from New Jersey.  I think it ends there.

Though I haven't seen a real explanation for why he has more than one license.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 03:04:01 PM
He gave the cop a New York license and New York doesn't transfer violations from New Jersey.  I think it ends there.

Though I haven't seen a real explanation for why he has more than one license.

They don't transfer points, but they do exchange information. If he has been issued a North Carolina license, then his information will also transfer to North Carolina, which will likely assess points.

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 14, 2013, 03:06:58 PM
They don't transfer points, but they do exchange information. If he has been issued a North Carolina license, then his information will also transfer to North Carolina, which will likely assess points.

Maybe.  I don't know the interplay between NC and NY since my understanding is NC should have made him surrender his NY license when they him a license.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 03:10:52 PM
Maybe.  I don't know the interplay between NC and NY since my understanding is NC should have made him surrender his NY license when they him a license.

They don't usually ask. I've had a Michigan, a Georgia, and a Colorado license at the same time before. There's a line saying that he has to in the paperwork, but nobody ever actually asked if I had one to turn in.

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 14, 2013, 03:37:07 PM
They don't usually ask. I've had a Michigan, a Georgia, and a Colorado license at the same time before. There's a line saying that he has to in the paperwork, but nobody ever actually asked if I had one to turn in.

Interesting.   When I switched my license from New York to Connecticut, I was required to surrender my New York license at the Connecticut DMV.  There was a special part of the license application for reciprocity that included waiving the written and road test and surrenduring the other license.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 03:45:23 PM
Interesting.   When I switched my license from New York to Connecticut, I was required to surrender my New York license at the Connecticut DMV.  There was a special part of the license application for reciprocity that included waiving the written and road test and surrenduring the other license.

It may be different because this was a CDL. I would think it would be more stringent, but maybe not.

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 14, 2013, 03:47:10 PM
It may be different because this was a CDL. I would think it would be more stringent, but maybe not.

I don't have a CDL but I imagine a CDL would be more stringent.

It must have been nice for you to have multiple state licenses.  Being able to play "ticket roulette" is a nice advantage. :devil:

MX793

Quote from: dazzleman on December 14, 2013, 03:45:23 PM

The driver's manual in NY reads the same.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5