Project Z

Started by 280Z Turbo, November 20, 2005, 05:37:16 PM

280Z Turbo

I'm terribly conflicted at the moment...

I can't decide whether to paint my Z or add more power! I don't think I have money to do both.

I want to paint it because I want to:
-Strip off all of the ugly badges and dealer added trim (fill in holes)
-Fix the giant gapping holes in my rocker panel
-Cover up the previous owner's failed attempt to match the paint
-Cover up a bunch of scratches
-Have touch up paint (don't know what color the PO painted it)
-Cover up the gouge some asshole left when my car was keyed at school
-Just give it some shine again!
-etc.

I also want to add power by:
-Walbro 255 inline fuel pump
-Intercooler install for my Mitsubishi Evo VIII I/C
-Nistune tuning on my 300ZX Turbo ECU
-Bigger injectors
-Z32 MAF
-Centerforce Clutch
-etc.

On the other hand, I know I'm going to start breaking halfshafts and stuff like that with even more power. Right now, I run 7 psi un-intercooled.

Which road do I take?

nickdrinkwater

I'm a perfectionist, so I would do the paint first.  For me, there's nothing quite like having a spotless car!  You can always do the performance upgrades later, I think it would be best to get it looking how you want it to first.

It's all down to personal preference though!

Rupert

I usually go for function first, and finish the project by making it look good, but I get the impression that the Z isn't gonna ever be finished, so I'd go paint.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Danish

Wouldn't working on the Z mess up your nice paint job?

I'd say work under the hood first.
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

S204STi

You don't need to bugger the paint job by working on it afterwards.  I suppose if it were me, if the paint and body were in crummy condition I would start there, assuming the powertrain was solid first.  sounds like it is, so go for the paint!

280Z Turbo

Working on it afterwards?

Bwahahaha...

Until I'm making 500 rwhp, I'm not "done". Let me make that clear. And it's not that hard to protect the paint if you need to.

JWC

How about $50 for a paint job?  Takes a lot of time though. 

I've been reading up on paint options for my VW and I came across someone who "rolled" the paint on their car and the wet sanded it smooth and polished it.  At first I thought "what a moron", but in the photos it looks good and it turns out he isn't the originator of this technique. 

Another option is Duplicolor's Paint Shop System.  Laquer paint, quick drying.  Runs $20/quart primier, color, and clear coat.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

280Z Turbo

Those paint jobs are not worth the trouble. For the time you put into it, you're better off just putting in extra hours at work to afford a real paintjob!

It would make my car look worse. That paint doesn't shine very well and you're limited with colors.

JWC

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 12, 2007, 06:36:19 PM
Those paint jobs are not worth the trouble. For the time you put into it, you're better off just putting in extra hours at work to afford a real paintjob!

It would make my car look worse. That paint doesn't shine very well and you're limited with colors.

True, but the colors availabe are exactly what I want, yellow and white.  Plus, I'm old enough to remember lacquer and it requires buffing to shine.  Once, buffed, it outshines enamels.   Corn silk used to be the preferred buffing compound, but I would think something has come along that is better.

I've checked into paint shops in my area.  No one will touch a Beetle for less than 3k.  They all say the same thing, the curves cause the paint to run too easily and they have to charge for that.  Unprofessional painters in my opinion, they seem to admit they can only spary flat surfaces successfully.    In my youth, I sprayed lacquer and acrylic enamel.  Without a bake booth, lacquer is better.

280Z Turbo

You know I'm talking about the roll on paint jobs, right?

JWC

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 12, 2007, 06:47:07 PM
You know I'm talking about the roll on paint jobs, right?

No, I just threw that out there...I couldn't ever bring myself to take "rollers" seriously...but, I wasn't sure what you were in to. ;)

This car is from a VW forum member who just painted it using the Duplicolor Paint Shop system.  He hadn't color sanded it yet, but still doesn't look bad.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/gfw1985/Projects/?action=view&current=001.jpg

S204STi

That actually looks alright, I'm sure after a good sand it will look nice.

280Z Turbo

I just got my 15x6 1981 280ZX Turbo "snowflake" rims painted and on the car, wrapped in 205/60VR-15 BF Goodrich G-Force Sport summer tires. They look great and grip 10x better than the all seasons I had on there before. I'll post pics later.

I just got my Walbro inline fuel pump installed. It should be good for ~500 rwhp. The damn thing is loud though!

My Evo intercooler is going on soon. I just ordered couplers and T-bolt clamps and I have the piping already. I picked up a 1g DSM BOV for $13. My chipped and socketed ECU was repaired and is going back on the car soon.

I'm also getting a DXD 300ZX clutch for the car pretty soon.

footoflead

I take it you went with the power route  :lol: :rockon:

It doesn't look thatttt bad as is..at least in pictures but my mustang looks good in pictures but not so hot when you get in person and can see the dings etc

Awesome though  :ohyeah:
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

Here's some pics from the autocross today:

280Z Turbo

240Z bumper swap time! I just bought an OEM 240Z bumper from Nissan. It drops 40 lbs of weight, shortens up the car, and makes it look better, IMO.

It looks better and seems faster with all that weight gone (placebo effect?) but I still need an air dam (the stock front valance looks odd with the new bumper) and some rubber strips to cover up the holes. Not sure what to do about the back. I don't think the rear one looks that bad, but it is 50 lbs of dead weight.

Lots of new space for an Evo intercooler! :rockon:

CJ

Looks awesome!  Are you going to ad a lower grille so it looks complete?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CJ on September 15, 2007, 01:28:25 PM
Looks awesome!  Are you going to ad a lower grille so it looks complete?

Nope, I'm adding a front air dam like this:

the Teuton

Not bad at all.  What's the weight distribution on a 280Z from the factory?  If they big bumper in back keeps it closer to 50-50, then it might be worth keeping.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on September 15, 2007, 01:35:46 PM
Not bad at all.  What's the weight distribution on a 280Z from the factory?  If they big bumper in back keeps it closer to 50-50, then it might be worth keeping.

I don't know.

I'll let you know when I have it scaled.

50 lbs of dead weight at the very end of the car is not good, regardless of weight distribution.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raghavan

Nice car, but i like the fastback versions better.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 24, 2007, 07:10:30 PM

I updated the brakes, as I mentioned before. Bendix rebuilt calipers with genuine Nissan hardware, Earl's stainless steel braided brake lines, and Hawk HPS brake pads:

Weaksauce!

Got my new front brakes today. They are 4 piston Toyota 4x4 calipers and 300ZX VENTED front rotors. The calipers bolt right up, but the rotors will need a specially machined front spacer. It's a huge step up from 2 piston calipers and thin, solid front rotors. NO MORE BRAKE FADE, DAMN IT!

They came with some brake pads, but I'm going to buy Porterfield R4-S pads for it.

The rears will also use 300ZX rotors, although those are not vented. It also uses 240SX calipers. That setup will look like this:

280Z Turbo

I need to figure out an intake and recirculation valve setup, but the intercooler fits and so do all the pipes! No cutting to the unibody was required!

Notice that the hot pipe goes behind the radiator instead of having the cold pipe there. This keeps the hot air off of the radiator from reheating my intake air.

Eye of the Tiger

Looks nice and clean. Good job.  :ohyeah:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

I think I've got a boost leak somewhere.

Can you help me find it in the picture? :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 13, 2007, 10:09:46 PM
I think I've got a boost leak somewhere.

Can you help me find it in the picture? :huh:

On the pipe attached to the throttle body, where it curves to the left side of the car and then breaks... How are the pipes connected there?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on October 13, 2007, 10:15:12 PM
On the pipe attached to the throttle body, where it curves to the left side of the car and then breaks... How are the pipes connected there?

Your imagination...until I get it welded. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

280Z Turbo

I'm ordering Porterfield R4-S pads all around. The 240SX rear caliper brackets and 300ZX Brembo rotors are on order. I'm painting all the calipers tomorrow.

I got one drum backing plate cut off tonight, I stopped working on the other one since I pulled back some skin on my thumb via a hammer and chisel.