944 Suspension

Started by Rupert, December 14, 2013, 03:38:16 PM

Rupert

Jesus fuck why are you propagating that old ass "conversation"? By god, kids, I'll turn this car around!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on January 09, 2014, 10:44:27 PM
IIRC, it was Nick who decided to troll MrH, not the other way around.  He's a hack and we all know it, but he refuses to back down.  It's like reverse-snobbery; he's snobby about his disregard for good chassis tuning techniques.

Unfortunately for you and MrH, professional suspension tuners have been cutting coil springs since before either of you were born. I am just in awe at how you supposed enthusiasts can ignore such a basic concept.
By the way, my car handles great.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rupert on January 09, 2014, 09:13:19 PM
Suspension!

New shocks, Bilstein heavy duty. Much better, though part of that is that the old shocks were pretty worn and/or leaking fluid. I need to get it aligned and drive it some, but I think it's probably a little too rolly still. I don't want the ride to get much if any stiffer, though.

Also had a miscommunication with the mechanic, and the ride height got adjusted with the eccentric adjuster things only, and not the full torsion bar re-index, so I'll probably want to do that, too.

Are you going to go with a stiffer sway bar?

S204STi

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 10, 2014, 04:57:24 AM
Unfortunately for you and MrH, professional suspension tuners have been cutting coil springs since before either of you were born. I am just in awe at how you supposed enthusiasts can ignore such a basic concept.

It's a distinctly shade-tree technique which was superseded by technology which results in measurable changes to spring rate as opposed to a "meh, fuck-it" approach to tuning.  No current, respected chassis engineers cut springs.  Like I said, snob.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Rupert on January 09, 2014, 09:13:19 PM
Suspension!

New shocks, Bilstein heavy duty. Much better, though part of that is that the old shocks were pretty worn and/or leaking fluid. I need to get it aligned and drive it some, but I think it's probably a little too rolly still. I don't want the ride to get much if any stiffer, though.

Also had a miscommunication with the mechanic, and the ride height got adjusted with the eccentric adjuster things only, and not the full torsion bar re-index, so I'll probably want to do that, too.

Are the torsion bars splined or something? On Mopars you only check the index to make sure it's going back the same way you pulled it out, otherwise your car's stuck on the ground or in the air (hex ends).

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on January 10, 2014, 12:46:01 PM
It's a distinctly shade-tree technique which was superseded by technology which results in measurable changes to spring rate as opposed to a "meh, fuck-it" approach to tuning.  No current, respected chassis engineers cut springs.  Like I said, snob.

You can certainly calculate spring rate changes caused by cutting.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 10, 2014, 12:50:06 PM
Are the torsion bars splined or something? On Mopars you only check the index to make sure it's going back the same way you pulled it out, otherwise your car's stuck on the ground or in the air (hex ends).

My Eldorados were splined.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 10, 2014, 01:27:03 PM

You can certainly calculate spring rate changes caused by cutting.

Yes, but it's something that makes sense only if one already has tangential coils... and on top of that, if, like most cars, the strut mount is indexed to the end of the upper and/or lower coil ends, to get them to match up properly you are forced to remove a fixed amount from the spring coil.  There's lots of compromise and *math* that goes into it.  I doubt Nick nor most shade-tree types are taking the time to measure that rate and then determine what their results will be.  That then factors into dampeners, ride height, (which now effects roll center, etc) etc. etc.  I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but the cobbled shit this guy is so proud of is nothing to actually be proud of, and nothing to give him the credibility to jump the shit of an actual engineer who just happened to do some internet research to help guide him in giving advice. I wouldn't give a fuck except that I'm tired of his fucking victim mentality; he's like those 'tards on TV shows who act like trash and then stick it in everyone's faces, demanding acceptance.

NomisR

Man, where's ChrisV during all this...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on January 10, 2014, 03:19:30 PM
Yes, but it's something that makes sense only if one already has tangential coils... and on top of that, if, like most cars, the strut mount is indexed to the end of the upper and/or lower coil ends, to get them to match up properly you are forced to remove a fixed amount from the spring coil.  There's lots of compromise and *math* that goes into it.  I doubt Nick nor most shade-tree types are taking the time to measure that rate and then determine what their results will be.  That then factors into dampeners, ride height, (which now effects roll center, etc) etc. etc.  I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but the cobbled shit this guy is so proud of is nothing to actually be proud of, and nothing to give him the credibility to jump the shit of an actual engineer who just happened to do some internet research to help guide him in giving advice. I wouldn't give a fuck except that I'm tired of his fucking victim mentality; he's like those 'tards on TV shows who act like trash and then stick it in everyone's faces, demanding acceptance.

Sometimes, nothing a person says before the word "but" matters, sometimes, it's nothing they say afterwards that does.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on January 10, 2014, 03:19:30 PM
Cut the crap, asshole.

?

Eye of the Tiger

I just can't even keep repeating myself like this. Assholes.

There is not a goddamn single thing that any of you have tried to "teach" me that I didn't already address in full. The only thing you are doing is being an asshole.

My car handles great.
My car rides fine.
Nothing is broken.
Over 10,000 miles on this "cobbled" "hacked" suspension, and the only problem I have had is YOU ASSHOLES.

Secret Chimp

Please can we stop doing this all over the goddamn place

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 10, 2014, 07:02:27 PM
Please can we stop doing this all over the goddamn place

Not until you all get over the fact that I know what I'm doing.

Rupert

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 10, 2014, 08:48:39 AM
Are you going to go with a stiffer sway bar?

I think that's the best option, in lieu of stiffer springs. Probably increase the diameter 2-4 mm front and rear.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 10, 2014, 07:06:07 PM
Not until you all get over the fact that I know what I'm doing.

If I could ban you from my thread, I would. You're the instigator, even if everyone involved is being a pain in the ass about it.

Rupert

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 10, 2014, 12:50:06 PM

Yeah, splined. And they require the entire rear suspension to be dropped to adjust.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on January 10, 2014, 07:07:55 PM
I think that's the best option, in lieu of stiffer springs. Probably increase the diameter 2-4 mm front and rear.

I would actually recommend this for your particular application. They make adjustable ones, for $$ I'm sure.

Rupert

Drove it some more today, and more agressively, and liking it more, too. There's way less roll. I think I want to get the rear suspension indexed, then I'll leave it for a while

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on January 10, 2014, 07:08:45 PM
If I could ban you from my thread, I would. You're the instigator, even if everyone involved is being a pain in the ass about it.

I am sitting here doing actual work to my car while idiots piss on me through their keyboards. If that makes me the instigator, then I am the instigator.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 10, 2014, 07:09:55 PM
I would actually recommend this for your particular application. They make adjustable ones, for $$ I'm sure.

Adjustable is cool, but I don't think I need to go that far. I'm not going to spend a lot of time "tuning" it after the initial setup.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 10, 2014, 07:13:04 PM
I am sitting here doing actual work to my car while idiots piss on me through their keyboards. If that makes me the instigator, then I am the instigator.

This, the second reply in the thread,

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 14, 2013, 04:37:52 PM
Go ahead and ruin your suspension. Just remember that I know your car better than you do and that you should listen to me and just leave your suspension with genuine OEM Porsche parts only. There is no such thing as a good aftermarket part.

is what makes you the instigator. Quit it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on January 10, 2014, 07:13:13 PM
Adjustable is cool, but I don't think I need to go that far. I'm not going to spend a lot of time "tuning" it after the initial setup.

At least save the sway bars for last, and size them according to how you want to alter the tire load lateral transfer distribution. That may require some driving at the limit before and after... It is a good excuse if you get pulled over

Rupert

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 10, 2014, 04:57:24 AM

So let me get this straight:  You trust "professional suspension tuners" (ie garbage shade tree mechanics such as yourself) because they're professionals...but me being a design engineer for a suspension company and designing shocks for real car companies doesn't mean shit.  Got it bro ;)
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 10, 2014, 03:56:08 PM
Sometimes, nothing a person says before the word "but" matters, sometimes, it's nothing they say afterwards that does.

Uh... ok?  Not sure what your point is.  Or maybe you're not getting mine.

Rupert, glad your torsion bars are splined; most of the ones I've seen are a six-sided spline, so indexing those would result in huge changes...

S204STi

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 10, 2014, 06:21:01 PM
I just can't even keep repeating myself like this. Assholes.

There is not a goddamn single thing that any of you have tried to "teach" me that I didn't already address in full. The only thing you are doing is being an asshole.

My car handles great.
My car rides fine.
Nothing is broken.
Over 10,000 miles on this "cobbled" "hacked" suspension, and the only problem I have had is YOU ASSHOLES.

Maybe don't jump everyone's shit constantly and nobody will care?  Or are you just being a troll?  Either a very good one or the worst ever.

Rupert

Quote from: S204STi on January 10, 2014, 09:27:43 PM
Uh... ok?  Not sure what your point is.  Or maybe you're not getting mine.

Rupert, glad your torsion bars are splined; most of the ones I've seen are a six-sided spline, so indexing those would result in huge changes...

Yeah, it's the Porsche way, apparently. The 911s of the day had the same setup, except you could index them without taking the entire car apart.

FlatBlackCaddy

Rupert

You know, I think I'll replace the crappy AFM with a MAF before I do sways. I bet that would improve things overall more than the sways.