Top 30 best-selling cars of 2013

Started by ifcar, January 03, 2014, 01:00:12 PM

ifcar

Everyone knows the top three, which haven't changed in years -- F-Series, Silverado, Camry. What about farther down the list?

Sales charts and discussions of the Top 30 of 2013: http://www.examiner.com/article/america-s-most-popular-cars-the-top-30-best-selling-vehicles-of-2013

Also, top-10 best-sellers by class: http://www.examiner.com/article/top-10-best-selling-cars-of-2013-by-class

SVT666

Jeep Wrangler is a Top 30 vehicle?  Holy shit.  That, I was not expecting.

93JC

Quote from: SVT666 on January 03, 2014, 01:05:05 PM

Top 30 in Canada too; far and away the most popular Jeep.

Colin

So the BMW 3 series and 4 series are combined, but the Dodge Caravan/Chrysler T&C are not?........ hmm...... (and if the BMWs are combimed then Audi A5 and Audi A5 should be added together).

By the way, any insight on the outcome of the annual BMW v Mercedes total sales battle? Rumour has it that a large number of BMWs have appeared in the rental fleets in the last few days, which smacks of some desperate last minute sales to ensure that BMW outsells Merc?

ifcar

Quote from: Colin on January 03, 2014, 01:27:43 PM
So the BMW 3 series and 4 series are combined, but the Dodge Caravan/Chrysler T&C are not?........ hmm...... (and if the BMWs are combimed then Audi A5 and Audi A5 should be added together).

I don't combine cars from different brands, but I do within the brand. So when I post the class-by-class figures later today, you'll see that I do the A4/A5 (plus Allroad). Another example is the Chevy Tahoe and Suburban.

And even if I didn't want to, BMW made it unavoidable by not providing separate 4-Series data.

By the way, any insight on the outcome of the annual BMW v Mercedes total sales battle? Rumour has it that a large number of BMWs have appeared in the rental fleets in the last few days, which smacks of some desperate last minute sales to ensure that BMW outsells Merc?

Global or U.S.? It also always seems to come down to which models aren't allowed to count.

Atomic

I was surprised seeing the placement of the Ford Fusion and Toyota Prius -- thinking both were better sellers than some vehicles on the list.

Colin

Quote from: ifcar on January 03, 2014, 01:32:35 PM
I don't combine cars from different brands, but I do within the brand. So when I post the class-by-class figures later today, you'll see that I do the A4/A5 (plus Allroad). Another example is the Chevy Tahoe and Suburban.

And even if I didn't want to, BMW made it unavoidable by not providing separate 4-Series data.

Global or U.S.? It also always seems to come down to which models aren't allowed to count.
The BMW v Merc question was specific to the US. I know it was almost too close to call last year.

Interestingly, I have seen separate 4 series data for other countries, so presume it is BMW US that are choosing not to break it out. If you combine A4 and A5 data, the Audi would be much closer, or in some countries, a bigger seller than the 3/4 series, but I guess BMW don't want that impression to be given. What you do and don't combine is always fraught with difficulties - remember the argument earlier in the year about whether the Toyota "Corolla" or Focus was the world's best selling car. Toyota were adding in the Matrix, the Auris and various Japanese variants, which may or may not be legitimate. Given that the Auris hatch in Europe is called Corolla in Australia, for instance, it is hard to know where to draw the line.

By the way, for anyone interested in these sort of stats around the world, if you have not yet found http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/ there's loads of interesting historical as well as up to the minute data on there to keep you entertained for hours (though sadly, the site's creator has recently introduce a membership fee to get at the old data).   

ifcar

Yeah, combining is always tricky. Generally I'll combine to try and keep it fair to the automakers who are separating things out -- as in the case of BMW versus Audi. When a single model line is sold under multiple names within the same brand, I like to combine them. And yet at the same time there are some I wish I could break out but don't have the data for, like Corolla/Matrix (though Matrix accounts for almost no sales anyway now.)

ifcar

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on January 03, 2014, 01:16:14 PM
Top 30 in Canada too; far and away the most popular Jeep.
Grand Cherokee is Top 20.

93JC

Quote from: SVT666 on January 03, 2014, 04:51:03 PM
Grand Cherokee is Top 20.

In Canada? No, no it isn't. Believe it or not it just cracks the top 40. The Wrangler is pretty close to 20th.

SVT32V

Quote from: SVT666 on January 03, 2014, 01:05:05 PM

Offering the Wrangler in 4 dr was smart and it is a huge hit. Selling 150K units a year moves it out of niche status, minvans would love to sell that many.

With the 290 hp pentstar V6 and 6 spd manual it really is hard to beat.

The surprise for me on the list was the explorer taking the top spot, I didn't know they were selling so many. I am not a fan of fwd based crossovers but the ecoboost V6 does kick ass.