Spy Shots: Dodge Challenger

Started by ifcar, November 21, 2005, 06:18:13 AM

ifcar

http://www.autoweek.com/images/news/103629
http://autoweek.com/files/weekart/2005/112...lenger_rear.jpg

Rising to the Challenger: Detroit auto show debut for Dodge muscle coupe concept

To all those purists who still can?t forgive Dodge for building a four-door Charger, here?s your answer: the 2006 Dodge Challenger concept. The Dodge boys released a sketch of the car to the world, but we obtained these exclusive spy photos of the car, which will premiere at the North American International Auto Show in January in Detroit.

Challenger draws on the 1970 model as the icon of the series, says Tom Tremont of Chrysler?s Pacifica studio in California. But instead of merely recreating that car, designers tried to build the Challenger most people see in their mind?s eye, without imperfections like the tucked under wheels and long front overhang of the old car. At the same time, the concept incorporates distinctive Challenger cues like the rear fender kick, wide mouth front end, functional hood scoops and rectangular exhaust tips.

Built on a shortened Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger chassis (116-inch wheelbase vs. 120 inches), the Challenger gets a 6.1-liter Hemi hooked to a six-speed manual transmission with a pistol grip shifter.

All that?s left to ponder is ?will they build it?? With all the hardware in place and a primed marketplace, we can?t see why Dodge wouldn?t rise to this challenge.

Raza

I don't like it.  Too retro.  And that roofline...ugh.

But the numbers sound impressive.  6.1 litre Hemi with 6 speeds and 3 pedals?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

I'd buy it.  It looks so nice too :praise:  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

footoflead

Meh its ok...

*whats with all the retro crap  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Secret Chimp

The front end looks like a concerned chubby cartoon character. I like the rest of it though.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

It's okay, I guess.

thewizard16

I think it's hideous. I'm not wild about older cars of that style anyway, but this is even badly done retro.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Secret Chimp

giant_mtb

They overdid the retro styling...big time.

GMPenguin

QuoteThey overdid the retro styling...big time.
Whoa, yes the did.

Catman

I agree, it's a tad too retro.  But this is a concept so hopefully it'll get a few modern touches.

280Z Turbo

The retro thing doesn't bother me, it's the way they did it that I hate.

It's too tall and stubby, unlike the original which was long and low. The rounded edges and huge wheels make it look cartoony.

Almost worse than the Mustang.

SVT666

I love it and I would buy one over the 2005 Mustang (and that's saying a lot considering I'm a Stang nut).

TBR

My only problem with it is the height of the grill/headlights, they need to be much taller imho. Otherwise it looks pretty sweet imho.

giant_mtb

QuoteI love it and I would buy one over the 2005 Mustang (and that's saying a lot considering I'm a Stang nut).
Well just look at your user name...go figure...  :D  ;)  

Catman

QuoteMy only problem with it is the height of the grill/headlights, they need to be much taller imho. Otherwise it looks pretty sweet imho.
I think that would do it for me also.  The rear looks decent.  A more substantial grille with bigger headlights, while keeping the overall theme unchanged would cure my issue with it.

SVT666

QuoteI love it and I would buy one over the 2005 Mustang (and that's saying a lot considering I'm a Stang nut).
Yeah except that my name used to be Stang666 when I owned my Mustang...and I have owned 5 of them.  I am a Mustang guy through and through, but that Challenger is gorgeous.  With the 5.7L as the base V8 and the 6.1L as an option and maybe even the 6.4L Hemi (500hp) as an even higher option, this would be the king of modern day muscle cars.  I think it's awesome.  I have never been a Chrysler guy, but some of their products (300, Magnum, Ram, Charger, and this Challenger) in the last couple years have turned me from Ford.  The new Mustang is a great car and I would buy one right now if I had the means, but if that Challenger was on the market I would have a very difficult decision to make.

mazda6er

The chromed moldings and window area is what really puts the retro a bit over the top. You could really convince some people this car was an original from that era. I agree with TBR, the grill needs to be larger and that would help a lot, but certain aspects of the body also need to be modernized a bit too.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Secret Chimp

Wait, isn't this the concept car, not the final production model?

Run Away

Watch, they'll replace the Neon with a Dart next....

Hmm, that could actually turn out interesting, provided they use RWD and a coupe version....

Secret Chimp

I soooo want to see a car with a "Swinger" badge on it in these frumpy-ass days.

Raza

What the problem comes out to be is that they went retro, tried to modernize it but smoothed out the surfaces, giving this amorphous, characterless, and blobular finish to an angular design.  It's so bad that it should be applauded for doing everything wrong.

But then again, this is a harsh evaluation on a few spy shots.  As always, the press photos should give us a better idea of the lines, design cues, and proportions.

EDIT:  Some more problems I found:
The door sills reach too highly, making the windows too small and the car look like a caricature of a good looking car.

The car looks so much like the original, but so much worse at the same time.  They are showing no creativity, no update at all.

The lines of the original are almost the same, except exaggerated.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

I like it, the front end could use some work but I cant complain w/ a hemi 6-speed manual and rear drive.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

QuoteThe chromed moldings and window area is what really puts the retro a bit over the top.
I agree with the chrome...get rid of it.  But other then that, I think it's almost perfect.

giant_mtb

Yeah except that my name used to be Stang666 when I owned my Mustang...and I have owned 5 of them.  I am a Mustang guy through and through, but that Challenger is gorgeous.  With the 5.7L as the base V8 and the 6.1L as an option and maybe even the 6.4L Hemi (500hp) as an even higher option, this would be the king of modern day muscle cars.  I think it's awesome.  I have never been a Chrysler guy, but some of their products (300, Magnum, Ram, Charger, and this Challenger) in the last couple years have turned me from Ford.  The new Mustang is a great car and I would buy one right now if I had the means, but if that Challenger was on the market I would have a very difficult decision to make.
I was being sarcastic.  :ph34r:  

Colonel Cadillac

280Z Turbo

QuoteThe door sills reach too highly, making the windows too small and the car look like a caricature of a good looking car.

The car looks so much like the original, but so much worse at the same time.  They are showing no creativity, no update at all.

Perhaps new Dodges will start coming with periscopes and peepholes.

Raza is right on the money with this one! :rockon:  

SVT666

QuoteThe door sills reach too highly, making the windows too small and the car look like a caricature of a good looking car.

The car looks so much like the original, but so much worse at the same time.  They are showing no creativity, no update at all.

Perhaps new Dodges will start coming with periscopes and peepholes.

Raza is right on the money with this one! :rockon:
In your opinion.

autom?vel

I know I'm a little late on this one, but crap.  I hope that is just suppose to strike interest, and actual new Challenger will look nothing like that.  I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a Viper pony car.   :o :o  
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

280Z Turbo

Well guys, the general consensus among the American public is that everyone loves it. One person

To me the proportions are akward, cartoony, and bloated, but everyone else loves it. I hate being the only guy who thinks some car is ugly. Perhaps I can convince myself that unoriginal fatass cars look good.

What is a picky design snob like me or Raza to do?

I'd rather have a 1970 Challenger. The original is almost always better, IMO!