Acura TLX "Concept"

Started by 2o6, January 14, 2014, 02:43:13 PM

2o6

It isn't ugly, but it isn't interesting, either. It looks several tiers below the ATS, G crowd (yet again). Production model should be nearly identical. Powertrains sound like they come from the Accord, but instead of the CVT, it gets an 8AT (4cyl) and 9AT (6cyl).

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/14/2015-acura-tlx-detroit-2014/

I feel like the Accord's platform isn't as modular as something from VWAG or even GM. The Accord basis is very evident, and that is IMO what makes it look low class.

Colin

Agreed........ a refreshing change from the willfully ugly Acura of yore, but I can't see why people would flock to buy this against a raft of well-rated competitors.

2o6

See, this TL looked great, and seems like it actually was a more of a contemporary to the 3-series, G, CTS crowd than anything Acura makes now.

Colin

Agreed again. I understand that was one of the best cars in its class at the time.

But then look what followed it...... or rather, don't look, as you will throw up by having to set eyes on its truly awful front and back ends!

ifcar

I think it looks nice -- not daring, but not nearly as dull as the RLX. I agree though that the 2004-2008 was definitely when the TL was in its prime.

2o6

Quote from: Colin on January 14, 2014, 02:53:03 PM
Agreed again. I understand that was one of the best cars in its class at the time.

But then look what followed it...... or rather, don't look, as you will throw up by having to set eyes on its truly awful front and back ends!

I don't think it's necessarily the fascias themselves (although I do agree that neither end looks very good), but that the proportions are not only clearly pure Accord, but the surfacing is this weird combination of both fussy yet bland. The fascias are ugly things slapped on a very bland, ill-proportioned car.

This TLX could easily pass as a Camry competitor (or more so an Avensis competitor) with the right wheels. Something like the Buick Regal, manages to look more expensive despite being a badge job.

TBR

Well I like it. We'll see if it manages to be a better car than the current generation.

CALL_911

It's a good looking car. Not as clean as the 04-08 TL, but I'm not sure Honda/Acura will ever make a sedan that elegant again.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Xer0

I think it looks great and they showed it off in the color that I would buy.  Glad to see Honda on the cutting edge of auto trannies for once, but I hope the engines aren't just straight from the Accord.

SVT32V

That front overhang is atrocious, it looks like the front wheels are in the passenger compartment.

Looks too accord-like, again.

Acura is beyond hope.

Atomic

I really like the design of the current Acura TL but admit it's long overdue for a total redesign. I must see the all new TLX in person before drawing a conclusion. The car looks nice enough and I am certain from its rollout in Detroit with talk of engines, drivetrains, transmission choices and such that it'll be an awesome car and enormous success for Acura. Its styling would work nicely on the ILX, similar sized car or a sedan slotted between the entry level ILX and TLX but there is no such 4-door in the works as far as we know. Acura will be marketing the 2015 FWD and its two (2) AWD TLX variants as the sole successor for both the outgoing Acura TSX sedan/wagon and TL. Unconfirmed rumors within, strongly suggest that there will be additional vehicles (possibly coupe/convertible, Audi "allroad-like" sports-wagon, crossover/SUV derived unspecified models) slotted either between or alongside each of Acura's three (3) leading sedans:

1. ILX Sedan/RDX Crossover SUV (Additional Models: TBA)*
2. TLX Sedan/MDX Crossover SUV (Additional Models: TBD)
3. RLX Sedan (Additional Models: NSX** Hybrid Sports Car; Additional Models: TBD***

*No Word on Any Pending Models Slotted Below the ILX Sedan
**Non Hybrid Variant Alleged
***No Word on Pending Models Slotted Above the RLX Sedan; RLX Luxury Coupe and Convertible Variants Probable

Atomic

2015 ACCURA TLX CONCEPT OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
January 14, 2014

2015 TLX Prototype

Acura's "Red Carpet Athlete" Unveiled at 2014 North American International Auto Show

Acura TLX Prototype Sets Design Direction for all-new Acura TLX launching mid-year; 2015 Acura TLX will deliver sports-sedan performance and agility in a more refined, sophisticated and technologically-enhanced package.

DETROIT, MI, Jan. 14, 2014 – Acura today unveiled the 2015 Acura TLX Prototype showcasing the design and performance direction for the all-new 2015 TLX performance-luxury sedan launching mid-year at Acura dealerships nationwide. The TLX was developed around the theme "Red Carpet Athlete" to deliver a compelling blend of luxury refinement and sports-sedan athleticism with exhilarating performance enhanced by next-generation Acura powertrain and dynamic handling technologies. The TLX will join the ILX compact luxury sedan and the RLX luxury performance sedan as the third vehicle in Acura's sedan lineup.

"The Acura TLX Prototype is a precursor of some amazing things we have in store for our Acura sedan customers," said Mike Accavitti, senior vice president, American Honda Motor, Co., Inc. "As you would expect from an Acura, this completely new model will offer innovative technologies that break down the barriers between the driver and the machine to deliver a more intuitive, connected and personal driving experience."

The TLX Prototype, bathed in Acura Athletic Red Pearl, presents a lithe exterior form, taut body surfaces and sports-sedan proportions. Its sporting character is further highlighted by its low and wide stance, shortened front and rear overhangs, dynamically sculpted fender arches, and purposeful character lines. Acura's signature Jewel Eye™ LED headlights imbue the TLX Prototype with an advanced and bright-eyed appearance while producing superior down-the-road illumination. The prototype's custom-designed five-spoke 20-inch alloy wheels and 265/35ZR20 low-profile tires accentuate its athletic stance, while the sculpted hood with its sharply creased bilateral ridgelines hints at the performance capabilities of the advanced new Acura powertrain that lies beneath. Another prototype-exclusive feature is the tailor-made side mirrors. Keying off of the Jewel Eye™ LED headlights, each mirror has a row of LED lights fused into its base. Click on the turn indictor, and the LEDs come to life, spreading a moving glow around the bottom of the mirror for a high-tech, 3D appearance.

Dimensionally, the TLX Prototype presages the production 2015 TLX sedan and is 3.8 inches shorter in overall length (190.2 inches) than the current TL, yet rides on the same 109.3 inch wheelbase as the TL. The prototype's right-sized dimensions place the new TLX neatly in between the smaller ILX and larger RLX sedans. Despite its more compact exterior footprint, the TLX design targets the most spacious interior in the midsize luxury sedan class – roughly on par with the current TL – with an open and airy greenhouse, commanding sight lines, ample cargo capacity and comfortable seating for five adults.

And like any truly world-class athlete, the TLX will pair power and efficiency with deft agility. With its low and wide stance, rigid yet lightweight body, and nimble and responsive chassis, the TLX is designed to deliver confident, precise and refined ride and handling performance in almost any driving situation. From low-stress urban commutes to relaxed long-distance cruising, or adrenaline-inducing runs down twisting country roads, the TLX is designed to be an intuitive and confidence-inspiring driving partner, a vehicle that epitomizes Acura's dynamic concept of "performance at the will of the driver."

The 2015 TLX Prototype also communicates the diverse range of advanced technologies and performance options that will be available to Acura TLX customers – including two-wheel and all-wheel drive configurations ; two high-performance, highly fuel-efficient new engines; two new advanced transmissions; and the next generation Acura Super-Handling All Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™) and Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS) dynamic performance and handling technologies.

In keeping with the "Red Carpet Athlete" design and development concept, the 2015 TLX's advanced new powertrains will deliver highly responsive, refined and efficient power delivery. An all-new 2.4-liter 16-valve inline 4-cylinder engine employs direct-injection and Acura's VTEC™ valvetrain, and is significantly lighter than previous Acura engines of similar configuration and displacement. The new engine is mated to an all-new 8-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT) with torque converter. This new 8-speed DCT takes full advantage of the 2.4-liter engine's broad power band, delivering incredibly quick and smooth gear changes, expertly matching engine revs on down shifts, and putting the power down in a responsive and intuitive way.

For even greater power and performance, there is a 3.5-liter SOHC V-6 that also employs direct injection and VTEC variable valve control and cam timing along with fuel-saving Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM™) cylinder deactivation technology. The 3.5-liter V-6 is mated to a new 9-speed automatic transmission with closely spaced gear ratios and a wide overall ratio range to further extend engine performance and fuel efficiency. Both the 2.4-liter and 3.5-liter TLX models will target EPA fuel economy ratings at the top of the midsize luxury sedan class.

Two-wheel-drive models with either the 2.4- or 3.5-liter powerplant will utilize the next generation of Acura Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS™) technology with independent left and right rear wheel toe control. As four-wheel steering becomes an increasingly popular technology on high-performance automobiles, Acura continues to evolve and improve the capabilities of its cutting-edge P-AWS system, first launched on the RLX sedan in 2013, to deliver even more responsive handling, precise steering control and high-speed stability.

The TLX SH-AWD™, available exclusively with the 3.5-liter V6 engine and 9-speed transmission, employs a new generation of Acura's signature Super-Handling All Wheel Drive™ technology that is 25 percent lighter and incorporates new torque-vectoring control logic.

Understanding that customization is a key component of luxury, the TLX will feature an Integrated Dynamics System (IDS) to allow for further personalization and a sportier driving experience. The four driving modes – ECON (Economy), Normal, Sport, and a new Sport+ mode – take full advantage of the TLX's high-performance capabilities. Depending on which mode the driver selects, the Integrated Dynamics System will adjust Electric Power Steering (EPS), throttle response, SH-AWD and P-AWS control logic, transmission shift mapping, Active Noise Control settings and HVAC control in accordance with the preferences of the driver.

Also in keeping with its luxury sedan status, the TLX was designed to deliver vault-like quietness in all driving conditions, with major improvements in noise reduction through enhancements to body stiffness, body sealing and sound insulation, and the application of electronic Active Noise Control.

The TLX utilizes Acura's next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure and is expected to achieve the highest available safety ratings – a five-star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and a TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The TLX will be available with Acura's most advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies including Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow and Blind Spot Indicator (BSI).

The TLX was designed and developed in the United States by Acura engineers working in the company's Los Angeles design studio and Raymond, Ohio new-vehicle development center. The new TLX will be produced using domestic and globally sourced parts at the company's award-winning Marysville, Ohio auto plant, which presently manufactures the 2014 Acura TL performance-luxury sedan.

For More Information

Consumer information about Acura is available at acura.com. To join the Acura community on Facebook, visit facebook.com/Acura.

Atomic

Looking through the array of pics a second time (start of thread) and going to Acura's own website where I obtained a copy of the official press release (later discovered via link posted above, as well), the design is quickly growing on me. I cannot day that the TL successor has suddenly turned into a more beautiful Acura in such a short matter of time, rather I am seeing the TLX as a far more attractive luxury-sports sedan when factoring in its host of technical advances, safety features, creature comforts, amenities and new multiple ways it can configured for me and my changing needs and those of other drives.

The specs of this sedan coupled with its unique sex appeal is what I think will bring Acura back. Yep. It's really starting to grow on me... Still, I need to see it in-person and am beginning to look forward to that encounter.

MX793

A definite step up from the current TL.  Still, Honda needs something more than lux'ed up Accords if they really want to compete in the luxury segment.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2014, 02:50:02 PM
See, this TL looked great, and seems like it actually was a more of a contemporary to the 3-series, G, CTS crowd than anything Acura makes now.

No. It did not look great. It still doesn't look great. Acuras are still ugly as fuck. I cringe every time I see one of those snaggletooth monstrosities coming at me on the road.

CALL_911

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 18, 2014, 08:24:48 AM
No. It did not look great. It still doesn't look great. Acuras are still ugly as fuck. I cringe every time I see one of those snaggletooth monstrosities coming at me on the road.

Your opinion is hereby null and void.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

It's an opinion. It can't be null and void. Yours just happens to differ. Get used to it. It's how the world works.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2014, 02:50:02 PM

I remember BMW and Driver's review of this thing. Three words: INSANE TORQUE STEER:lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CALL_911

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 18, 2014, 11:07:02 AM
It's an opinion. It can't be null and void. Yours just happens to differ. Get used to it. It's how the world works.

lol thanks 4 the wisdom

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 18, 2014, 11:07:02 AM

How can one have such two diametrically opposed posts so close to each other? :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on January 18, 2014, 01:12:07 PM
How can one have such two diametrically opposed posts so close to each other? :lol:

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

cuz bipolar? Can I just...use that?  As like...my excuse?

Soup DeVille

It must be nerve wracking driving with you.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 19, 2014, 12:11:30 AM
It must be nerve wracking driving with you.

Just constantly changing faces and emotions. One car will make me smile. The next will make me "ooh" and "aww" over it's beauty. The next makes my face cringe. It's rough.

GoCougs

The above shot is not all that flattering. I think it looks quite good. They've done a good job hiding the proportions of the FWD-based chassis. Sadly, no updates/replacement for the ancient J-series SOHC 3.5L.

Northlands

This is certainly nicer looking than the outgoing TL. Shame about this being a TSX replacement...sort of. ( and TL. ) I've only had one ride in a TSX and it had decent driving dynamics. This is going to be larger, and I'm not sure the ILX has any of the feel of the TSX in it.(I haven't been in one of those either... just a new Civic. )

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Atomic

You beat me to it, Cougs. The top pic (my first look) is not at all flattering but the ones I found and you posted (above) make an entirely different impression. Nothing about this car screams "Accord" -- it has a look all of its own from both Honda and its competition and I am now quite fond of it.

GoCougs

Hmmm. I just looked up the RLX - the 3.5L is making 310 hp there. If the TLX has at least that much, and paired with a 9sp AT, that would be better.