2014 Racing Season

Started by Mustangfan2003, January 16, 2014, 03:10:47 PM

Mustangfan2003

The Dakar is going on right now and highlights are daily on NBCSN at 4:00 Central.  It's kinda weird to see a jacked up Mini out there but they are dominating. 

FlatBlackCaddy

NBCSN, is that on Dish or directtv.

Haven't watched Dakar in years.

FlatBlackCaddy

That reminds me, I used to have a link to a torrent site that was 100% racing stuff. Pretty much any racing series in the world was there. I'm going to have to find some more time to catch up on some of the series' I used to watch.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 16, 2014, 03:25:03 PM
NBCSN, is that on Dish or directtv.

Haven't watched Dakar in years.

It's channel 220 on Directv.  Not sure if Dish has it but I do know that Comcast does. 

Mustangfan2003

Watching highlights of the Monte Carlo Rally on MavTV.  Crazy with all the weather changes they have to drive in. 

Mustangfan2003

The new McLaren has a penis on the front

Galaxy

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 24, 2014, 08:40:15 AM
The new McLaren has a penis on the front

One can insert it into the Lotus.

Good God those blundering fools. Can't the regulators begin to imagine how the regulations influence the "design" of the cars?

Mustangfan2003

Rolex 24 at Dayton schedule

Mustangfan2003

New Ferrari looks like a duck

SVT32V

FoMoJo

Williams.  It's a rendering.  I wonder if they've built the car yet?

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

According to some F1 insiders the worst is yet to come. Anyways here is the Toro Rosso.

With the exception of the nose a lot of these cars actually look quite decent.

FlatBlackCaddy

r0tor

What rules change led to all these phallic designs!?!?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on January 27, 2014, 03:21:21 PM
What rules change led to all these phallic designs!?!?

For safety reasons the FIA decided that the front of the nose may not be higher then 185mm, last season up to ~500mm were allowed. This is to reduce the severity of t-bone impacts, and to make it more difficult for a car to be catapulted into the air if it comes into contact with an opponent's car. The aerodynamic engineers however, want the nose to be high up so that they can shovel air under the car to feed the diffusor, and if they have to be low, they try to make them thin to lessen the impact on air flow. Basically the idea was the right one, however they should have anticipated the problem and formulated the rules so such eye rape. They could have defined the width at certain points for example.

Mustangfan2003

Some adult toy company should consider F1 sponsorship. 

Galaxy

The Mercedes and the Red Bull actually look quite decent.

But the Force India.....

Allegedly that is not yet the worst, the new Caterham is supposedly horrid.

Galaxy

Quote from: Galaxy on January 28, 2014, 02:51:06 AM
Allegedly that is not yet the worst, the new Caterham is supposedly horrid.

It is pretty bad.

FoMoJo

Red Bull looks pretty good.  Mercedes looks a bit like a bottom feeder...Grouper?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Galaxy

I actually think both the Mercedes and the Ferrari look good on track. I don't mind the low noses, on the contrary the high noses these past years were worse then the low wings of days yore. it is just the protruding things they need to get rid off.

Looks like reliability is going to be a huge problem this year. Only the Mercedes seems to be running decently at the Jerez test, and that ended with the Hamilton crash. Three cars broke down on the first lap, hardly anyone is managing more then one, or two laps. Some teams are not running at all.

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 25, 2014, 12:18:35 PM
Williams.  It's a rendering.  I wonder if they've built the car yet?

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on January 28, 2014, 07:57:13 AM
I actually think both the Mercedes and the Ferrari look good on track. I don't mind the low noses, on the contrary the high noses these past years were worse then the low wings of days yore. it is just the protruding things they need to get rid off.

Looks like reliability is going to be a huge problem this year. Only the Mercedes seems to be running decently at the Jerez test, and that ended with the Hamilton crash. Three cars broke down on the first lap, hardly anyone is managing more then one, or two laps. Some teams are not running at all.
There have been worse years regarding design...the Ferrari looks like and anteater...but other than the 'nose' the cars look pretty good.  I must read up on what all changes are...I haven't done that yet.

Galaxy

Number of laps done by the different engines during the test so far.

Mercedes: 212 laps
Ferrari: 100 laps
Renault: 19 laps

Ferrari, and Mercedes are supplying 3 cars, Renault 4. One of the Ferrari powered cars, and one of the Renault powered cars did not run at all.

Renault has a lot of homework to do. The Mercedes of Nico Rosberg alone did more laps then all the Renaults together.

Catman

FoMoJo

Quote from: Catman on January 30, 2014, 10:10:21 AM
This one looks better

Not bad.   I was looking for a picture face on.

FoMoJo

It'll be fun watching Kimi and Alonso at Ferrari this year.  I'm looking forward to a lot of cryptic comments from Kimi and a lot of whining from Alonso. :lol:

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 30, 2014, 11:42:02 AM
Not bad.   I was looking for a picture face on.

Red Bull did a total of 21 laps in 4 days. Oh dear.

Catman

The Sauber looks the best so far.

Rich

Great vid:
IMSA Tudor Championship Launch / Daytona Rolex 24 Truths - /SHAKEDOWN

Leo Parente and /ShakeDown get the truths behind the 2014 North American Sports Car Auto Racing season by Skyping with drivers , Tommy Milner - Corvette Racing C7R GTLM, and Jordan and Ricky Taylor -- Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette Prototype. Plus, Scott Atherton - President and COO of IMSA share open and honest thoughts about the Rolex 24 at Daytona kick-off to the Tudor United SportsCar Championship.

What it was like for the drivers, what it was like for the Series, what it was like for the fans watching the racing. Plus we talk, TV, MRN radio, the yellow flags, the GTD penalty and reversal, Balance of Performance and more.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT