Next Honda Ridgeline & Fit Based Urban SUV Crossover Destined for North America

Started by Atomic, January 16, 2014, 04:11:15 PM

Atomic

02/18/2014: Added New Pics of "Dressier" Honda Urban SUV Models... They Look North America Ready by Design... Scroll Down to Feb. 18th for Photos of These Oversea Models that are Far Sharper... Atomic

Fellow Spinners and Readers Alike, I was honored to receive a personal email directly from Honda personnel earlier this evening calling attention to the Official Moniker of the New Honda Fit Based Concept:
The Honda Urban Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) Concept. ~ Atomic

To America Honda Company, Inc., Personnel, I am confidant in saying that despite not being an Administrator with Carspin, it is an honor for all of us to know you and your esteemed colleagues follow our blogs and respect our opinions to where you will interact with your fellow automotive enthusiasts here. ~ Tom

On with the thread; correction noted....

2015 OR 2016 HONDA RIDGELINE AND 2015 HONDA FIT URBAN SUV

Good news and more good news from America Honda Company, Inc. with confirmation of its new Fit based Urban SUV coming to the United States and Canada in 2014 and an ALL NEW Ridgeline Pickup in the works for its formal intro shortly thereafter.

AMERICA HONDA COMPANY, INC. ON THE NEXT GENERATION HONDA RIDGELINE PICKUP TRUCK

In 2005, the Ridgeline redefined pickup trucks with industry firsts such as an integrated closed-box frame, dual-action tailgate and large In-Bed Trunk®. The next-generation Ridgeline is poised to break even more ground. Be sure to sign up for email updates—we can't wait to share more information with you in the near future.

AMERICA HONDA COMPANY, INC. ON THE HONDA FIT BASED URBAN SUV

An all-new Honda concept vehicle made its world debut at the North American International Auto Show 2013 (NAIAS) in Detroit. The concept hints at a dynamic, fuel-efficient small SUV with aspirational styling and next-generation connectivity. Its clean character lines are complemented by hidden rear door handles, giving the SUV a coupe-like presence.

The new concept is shorter than the CR-V, making it an ideal size for both city streets and mountain roads. It's poised to join the Honda light-truck lineup, with the Honda-original center-tank layout and a configurable Magic Seat® for a host of cargo and passenger options.

This vehicle is slated to launch in Japan later this year, with expansion to the U.S. market in 2014. Be sure to sign up for our emails to receive the latest information and updates.
America Honda Company, Inc.

Above Silhouette, 2015 or MY16 Honda Ridgeline Profile*

Shown at Past Auto Shows, Honda's North America Bound Urban SUV [Crossover in Terms of Being Derived from a Passenger Car vs. Truck] Due in Calendar Year 2014*[/b

*Source of Text, Pics: America Honda Company, Inc. January 14, 2014

Atomic

Thnx for your interest...

Few more official concept pics provided by Honda, as shown during last season's auto show circuit...

What an honor for Carspin! Personal email received from Honda representative informing me of America of Honda Company, Inc. utilizing the name Honda Urban SUV* for Sports Utility Vehicle when describing the Fit based concept, above and featured throughout thread, along with the next Honda Ridgeline Pickup Truck. My references to the SUV as "Crossover" were more inline with vehicle classification, not the concept's official moniker. It should be noted that Honda merely wanted us (me) to properly identify their handsome Urban Concept Vehicle.

Q: Will that name remain intact at time of production? Hmm...

*NOTE: Official Name of Concept: Honda Urban SUV, a.k.a. Honda Urban Sports Utility Vehicle

Atomic

Photos of the Honda Urban Crossover's design language...

Pics supplied by World Honda...

Atomic

Researching the all new 2015 Honda Fit [Initial Post Started by Fellow Spinner, 2o6, Mainstream Room], I stumbled upon this depiction of either the Fit Hatchback or the Urban SUV's proposed interior/dashboard I thought worthy of copying and pasting to share, below:

The Production Version of the MY15 Honda Fit's Interior/Dash*

*Amazing for its Class [Wondering if the More Upscale/Edgier Urban SUV Will Take on the Funkier Guise...]

:popcorn: Fortunately, it appears as though it won't be all that long of a wait!

2o6

I feel like you get paid some type of SEO shit for this.

The "Urban SUV crossover" has already been on sale for weeks now in Japan. It's called the Honda Vezel, and you can see it inside in out in this thread

http://www.carspin.net/index.php?topic=29951.0

Also, the Honda Fit's dash looks horrible. Not only in design language, but a lot of the fitment looks not as good as cars even like the Sonic.

Atomic

^Thnx for that link, 2o6! I will be back on it again shortly. My immediate thought in creating this thread was to bring attention to there not only being a (1) Next Generation Honda Ridgeline but showing what I think is a very attractive (2) Profile Depiction of the Upcoming Ridgeline Pickup Truck.

Then, friends at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit and a college buddy of mine working for Honda spoke of (3) The North American Urban SUV Variant being completely reworked, significantly upgraded and fitted with higher standard state-of-the-art safety features than the "entry level" looking variants currently being sold elsewhere. I am not certain if Honda reps spoke directly or indirectly of its goal to bring the Urban SUV to the top of its class here in the United States and Canada. I think America Honda Company has learned its lesson the hard way with the subpar for NA 2012 Honda Civic line-up. In fact, it was due to the MY12 Civic (a prototype of sorts) that Honda committed to further differentiating models sold on our shores vs. other parts of the globe to better meet the demands of each customer base.

I think there are many misnomers out there -- not here at Carspin, of course. I think we collectively bring a wide array of varied knowledge and opinions to challenge, grow, learn, have fun, banter, etc. In regards to Honda-Acura and the models we are speaking of here, a lot of the falsehoods are out there in larger venues, i.e., Twitter. Just today, I heard that North America will not be getting the Urban SUV and that Honda of America has given up on trucks, i.e., the Ridgeline Pickup Truck, Honda Pilot, when indeed they are said to not only be readying replacements but adding even more vehicles within these competitive niches and elsewhere within its Honda and Acura divisions.

Honda Urban SUV Concept Provides Glimpse at North American Bound EX-L Model

*Motor Trend Magazine

Atomic

^^^ Based on the photo of the 2015 Honda Fit interior (3 posts, above) to illustrate what we could except by envisioning the more upscale "Urban Sports Utility" model due out soon, I must say that I disagree with you, 2o6. I think the dash is very well laid out, attractive and of seemingly of high quality. I look forward to inspecting a MY15 Fit for myself at the upcoming NAIAS in New York, NY, or at my local Honda dealer if introduced before the NYC event.

Atomic

Honda Vezel Caught on Factory Lot Ready for Delivery - Japan Already Has a Three Month Waiting List

Photographer John Paul Vizioli caught these images of the Vezel (Below)
sitting on the factory lot at Honda's Suzuka plant awaiting delivery.

I think these particular shots show a far more polished looking vehicle than illustrations depicted elsewhere. The wheels are stylish and bright work is more apparent, giving the SUV a far richer appearance. I am encouraged by the three photos, above, especially while keeping in mind that the Urban SUV is based on an entry level economy car sized five door hatchback. I predict a significant increase in sales for the new Honda Fit, next Honda Ridgeline and upcoming redesigned Pilot. I also see the Urban SUV giving its competition something substantial to worry about.

More pics coming. 

The Vezel is offering two engines in Japan. 

(1) The new Earth Dreams 1.5 Gasoline / CVT, rated 132 hp, and (2) The hybrid Earth Dreams 1.5 / 7 speed Dual Clutch, rated 140hp.  Both engines will have 4wd as an option.

The new Vezel is built on the all-new Fit Platform. 

The Vezel is 34 cm longer, 7.5 cm wider, and 8 cm taller. Overall size is 4295 mm (169 inches) long x 1770 mm (69.7 inches) wide x 1605 mm (63.2 inches) tall.

Interior/Asian Market*

*CarKings

Atomic

^Interior shoots from CarKing looked very shinny...

Thinking they could be pre-production or in prototype form, showing good things to come...

One would also expect at least two (2) trim levels (thinking here in the U.S. at least), offering buyers choice, i.e., budget minded shoppers, tetchy types seeking the latest gadgetry, creature comfort drivers and their like passengers. Honda frequently utilizes LX (Luxury) for base models and EX/EX-L (Exceptional Luxury with or without Leather) trim designations and others depending on model.

Additional information is forthcoming...

2o6

Byteme

Quote from: Atomic on January 16, 2014, 04:11:15 PM
2015 OR 2016 HONDA RIDGELINE AND 2015 HONDA FIT URBAN SUV
Good news and more good news from America Honda Company, Inc. with confirmation of its new Fit based Urban SUV coming to the United States and Canada in 2014 and an ALL NEW Ridgeline Pickup in the works for its formal intro shortly thereafter.
AMERICA HONDA COMPANY, INC. ON THE NEXT GENERATION HONDA RIDGELINE PICKUP TRUCK
In 2005, the Ridgeline redefined pickup trucks with industry firsts such as an integrated closed-box frame, dual-action tailgate and large In-Bed Trunk®. The next-generation Ridgeline is poised to break even more ground. Be sure to sign up for email updates—we can't wait to share more information with you in the near future.
An all-new Honda concept vehicle made its world debut at the North American International Auto Show 2013 (NAIAS) in Detroit. The concept hints at a dynamic, fuel-efficient small SUV with aspirational styling and next-generation connectivity. Its clean character lines are complemented by hidden rear door handles, giving the SUV a coupe-like presence.

I've never understood the niche the Ridgeline was designed to fill. 
I'm surprised that Honda is still trying to make the Ridgeline a winner in the marketplace.  Sales for the last 4 years have averaged about 18,000 a year, far less than Honda originally projected. 

Mustangfan2003

What's the point of the Ridgeline?  The current one is expensive, not that powerful, and doesn't get that great fuel economy.  The new full size V6 trucks make decent power and economy and will likely cost less than this. 

GoCougs

The "niche" is, and point of, the Ridgeline, is it is what Americans should be buying. Not 10% of full size trucks are used to anywhere near their capacity in any meaningful manner, esp. the immense off road capability.

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on January 17, 2014, 11:19:27 AM
The "niche" is, and point of, the Ridgeline, is it is what Americans should be buying. Not 10% of full size trucks are used to anywhere near their capacity in any meaningful manner, esp. the immense off road capability.

Horse shit.  Americans have a lot of choice on what to buy as a load hauler and they have pretty much sent market signals that the Ridgeline isn't what they want.  And you, being "Joe free will, buy what you want without being told what to buy by someone else" are way out of line with that statement.
Honda simply miscalculated what people want. 

GoCougs

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 17, 2014, 11:30:27 AM

Horse shit.  Americans have a lot of choice on what to buy as a load hauler and they have pretty much sent market signals that the Ridgeline isn't what they want.  And you, being "Joe free will, buy what you want without being told what to buy by someone else" are way out of line with that statement.

Note that I didn't say what Americans want I implicitly said what Americans need. Very few want a Ridgeline yet very few need an F150. The Ridgeline is much more in line with what Americans need when it comes to hauling, towing and 4WD.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on January 17, 2014, 11:19:27 AM

I agree, but at what expense? On paper, the Ridgeline falls flat on its face. Economy isn't drastically better than a Full Sized truck (in fact, it is in some cases worse) and a crew Cab full sizer (or even a midsizer) will still have more utility with more power, with similar consumption numbers.

I honestly think the Midsized/Compact truck is a farce....save for (yet again) a very tiny workhorse Coupe-Utility that you see in countries like Brazil.

FoMoJo

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 17, 2014, 11:30:27 AM

When the Ridgeline first came out, Honda proudly displayed its midsize sedan derived platform emphasizing the ridge of 16 gauge galvanized metal they had welded onto it...for extra support.  I remember thinking...what a joke.  Anyone contemplating a Urban Hauler must've been, immediately, turned off by it. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: GoCougs on January 17, 2014, 12:20:12 PM
Note that I didn't say what Americans want I implicitly said what Americans need. Very few want a Ridgeline yet very few need an F150. The Ridgeline is much more in line with what Americans need when it comes to hauling, towing and 4WD.

Yeah well the thing is the F150 is more economical to own.  The Ridgeline came at a full size price but didn't even offer midsize capability.  Nobody needs an Infiniti but people still buy them. 

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on January 17, 2014, 12:20:12 PM

That's worse.  Not a bit of difference between "you need a Ridgeline instead of an F150" and "You need health insurance courtesy of the ACA, not the choices you uised to have".

Byteme

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 17, 2014, 12:52:48 PM
When the Ridgeline first came out, Honda proudly displayed its midsize sedan derived platform emphasizing the ridge of 16 gauge galvanized metal they had welded onto it...for extra support.  I remember thinking...what a joke.  Anyone contemplating a Urban Hauler must've been, immediately, turned off by it.

I've never seen a Ridgeline with anything in the bed.  Maybe that's because the "trunk" becomes unusable with a load in the bed.   :huh:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 17, 2014, 04:08:57 PM

I've never seen a Ridgeline with anything in the bed.  Maybe that's because the "trunk" becomes unusable with a load in the bed.   :huh:

That's the same arrangement my Station Wagon has, it never seemed to be a huge point against it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 17, 2014, 01:13:11 PM
Yeah well the thing is the F150 is more economical to own.  The Ridgeline came at a full size price but didn't even offer midsize capability.  Nobody needs an Infiniti but people still buy them. 

I'm gonna guess that in practice it's not more economical. The Ridgeline can't really be bought as a stripper but it also can't be loaded up to $50k+ which is very easy to do with an F150. On average, the average transaction price of an F150 is a heckuva lot higher.

GoCougs

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 17, 2014, 04:06:22 PM

That's worse.  Not a bit of difference between "you need a Ridgeline instead of an F150" and "You need health insurance courtesy of the ACA, not the choices you uised to have".

Huh? The vast majority of F150 buyers never use anything close to its full capability, let alone do so regularly. When people DO haul, tow and go off road, the Ridgeline is far closer to the needed capability.

Mustangfan2003

Sometimes during the summer my dad will borrow my grandpas tractor to do some work on the land.  His Colorado tows it just fine but I would think the Ridgeline would really suck at it. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 17, 2014, 04:26:39 PM
Sometimes during the summer my dad will borrow my grandpas tractor to do some work on the land.  His Colorado tows it just fine but I would think the Ridgeline would really suck at it. 

The Pilot surprised me many times on how much it could pull and how durable it was. I had really low expectations though.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on January 17, 2014, 04:15:29 PM
Huh? The vast majority of F150 buyers never use anything close to its full capability, let alone do so regularly. When people DO haul, tow and go off road, the Ridgeline is far closer to the needed capability.

So what?  The average car owner never sees the top speed of their car nor do they corner at the limitsthe car is capable of.  Does that mean they bought the wrong car?

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2014, 04:11:15 PM
That's the same arrangement my Station Wagon has, it never seemed to be a huge point against it.

Was that storage area in your wagon touted by the manufacturer as a great selling point and a unique breakthrough in vehicle design?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 17, 2014, 07:22:16 PM

Was that storage area in your wagon touted by the manufacturer as a great selling point and a unique breakthrough in vehicle design?

Not sure.

The only ads I've seen touted the Magic Tailgate and the EmmPeeGees...

Northlands

Quote from: GoCougs on January 17, 2014, 04:15:29 PM

I get what you're saying. I think the Ridgeline is perfect for the suburban moms that you find driving around in much larger trucks. Hell, I think half the truck buyers out there would get more use out of minivans, but they can't get past the styling.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

ifcar

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 17, 2014, 07:22:16 PM

I think the main advantage to the Ridgeline is supposed to be the driving dynamics, not the trunk. Honda clearly figured "people love cars that look like SUVs, so why not cars that look like pickups?" Especially considering that the Ridgeline's specs aren't that bad.