Would the carspin fuzz allow this?

Started by Mustangfan2003, January 21, 2014, 11:07:49 PM

Mustangfan2003

I just wonder if anyone lost their job over this?

Laconian

That's a nice human touch. The writing looks like a high school junior's. No hearts over the i's?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

bing_oh

I don't give rides to drunks, unless it's to jail. Once you start the practice, then all the local drunks suddenly think you're a taxi and are flagging you down and begging for a ride home at bar closing time. If I were to give a drunk a ride anywhere, I sure wouldn't advertise it...and that goes double for writing the drunk (who was apparently SO drunk that he didn't even remember getting a ride from the cops...talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen, there!) a love note.

Personally, I have serious doubts it's legit. Maybe Hertfordshire UK is the Brit version of Mayberry, but that sure doesn't look like something the average LEO would write and give to a drunk. Better chance that somebody got a blank piece of department notepaper.

NomisR

Well, it's written by Cagney and Lacey... :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 22, 2014, 12:13:24 AM
That's a nice human touch. The writing looks like a high school junior's. No hearts over the i's?

.. and the tautological "0220am"

But it's good. My sister is a cop, and complains about the mountains of rules and paperwork they have to do. But she still enjoys getting out there, chasing villains (has some old injuries from confrontations), helping people, seeing the good & the bad.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Catman

Drunks go in a cell unless there's a sober person to take them.

bing_oh

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 27, 2014, 09:52:43 AM.. and the tautological "0220am"

But it's good. My sister is a cop, and complains about the mountains of rules and paperwork they have to do. But she still enjoys getting out there, chasing villains (has some old injuries from confrontations), helping people, seeing the good & the bad.

The "0220am" was one of the things that made me doubt that it was actually written by a LEO. If a LEO was going to put something after 0220, it would probably be "hrs" or something similar. No point in "am" if you're doing military time, after all.

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on January 22, 2014, 12:36:04 AM
I don't give rides to drunks, unless it's to jail. Once you start the practice, then all the local drunks suddenly think you're a taxi and are flagging you down and begging for a ride home at bar closing time. If I were to give a drunk a ride anywhere, I sure wouldn't advertise it...and that goes double for writing the drunk (who was apparently SO drunk that he didn't even remember getting a ride from the cops...talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen, there!) a love note.

Personally, I have serious doubts it's legit. Maybe Hertfordshire UK is the Brit version of Mayberry, but that sure doesn't look like something the average LEO would write and give to a drunk. Better chance that somebody got a blank piece of department notepaper.

Here's a question, if you see someone who is about to drive drunk, would you stop them and tell them to get a cab or let them drive and stop them in an official capacity?

Also, what would you do for passengers in a car with a drunk driver who are not in a condition to drive if you're arresting the driver?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2014, 02:37:17 PM
Here's a question, if you see someone who is about to drive drunk, would you stop them and tell them to get a cab or let them drive and stop them in an official capacity?

Also, what would you do for passengers in a car with a drunk driver who are not in a condition to drive if you're arresting the driver?

Arrest them since they're an accomplice.  :lol:

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2014, 02:37:17 PM

When my cousin got a DUI she had some other people with her and I think the cops told them to either get someone to pick them up or call a cab.

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2014, 02:37:17 PMHere's a question, if you see someone who is about to drive drunk, would you stop them and tell them to get a cab or let them drive and stop them in an official capacity?

I have warned people not to drive on many occasions. If they decide to ignore my warnings, then they get the consequences. I would never allow someone to drive whom I believe is intoxicated without trying to stop them because of potential liability.

QuoteAlso, what would you do for passengers in a car with a drunk driver who are not in a condition to drive if you're arresting the driver?

They're free to call for a ride or, if they're not too drunk, walk away. If they're totally hammered and can't get someone to pick them up, then they're technically disorderly (unable to care for themselves) and could be arrested.

hounddog

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 21, 2014, 11:07:49 PM
I just wonder if anyone lost their job over this?
Liability trumps compassion in the world hyper-controlled by lawsuits.

I would imagine most departments have policy on this type of thing based on liability and Risk Management which would require a trip to either the hospital or a drunk tank for sober-up.   I know we did in Detroit, and I know we did in the township I worked for the last couple years I worked. 

So, fired?  Probably not, but yes disciplined on some level would likely have happened.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on January 27, 2014, 09:21:21 PM
I have warned people not to drive on many occasions. If they decide to ignore my warnings, then they get the consequences. I would never allow someone to drive whom I believe is intoxicated without trying to stop them because of potential liability.

Cool.  I'm glad.  Can't believe anyone wouldn't take that advice.

They're free to call for a ride or, if they're not too drunk, walk away. If they're totally hammered and can't get someone to pick them up, then they're technically disorderly (unable to care for themselves) and could be arrested.

Interesting. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on January 28, 2014, 11:25:46 AMCool.  I'm glad.  Can't believe anyone wouldn't take that advice.

In my experience, I'd actually say it was probably 60/40 that they wouldn't take the advice and I'd end up arresting them. I always make it clear that I think they're too drunk to drive and if I see them driving they'll probably get arrested. I'll usually then go a short distance away and sit on the vehicle to see if they decide to take the chance. More often than not, they'd wait till I was out of sight and hop in and drive.

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on January 28, 2014, 08:06:34 PM
In my experience, I'd actually say it was probably 60/40 that they wouldn't take the advice and I'd end up arresting them. I always make it clear that I think they're too drunk to drive and if I see them driving they'll probably get arrested. I'll usually then go a short distance away and sit on the vehicle to see if they decide to take the chance. More often than not, they'd wait till I was out of sight and hop in and drive.

Maybe it's because I take drinking and driving so seriously and find it so abominable, but having someone out of sight would not be enough for me to risk getting behind the wheel if I've had too many.  I really wish there would be a change in our drinking and driving culture. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MaxPower

I see the same thing fairly often...of course I usually only hear about the people who are dumb enough to do it, not those who heed the advice.

NomisR

What about those that hop into the passenger seat or back seat to sleep it off?  I know certain states you can be arrested for being "in control" of the vehicle while intoxicated even if you're not driving, but how often is that actually done? 

bing_oh

Quote from: NomisR on January 30, 2014, 09:22:04 AMWhat about those that hop into the passenger seat or back seat to sleep it off?  I know certain states you can be arrested for being "in control" of the vehicle while intoxicated even if you're not driving, but how often is that actually done?

Alot, actually. In Ohio, you need to be in the driver's seat and in possession or have access to the keys...and I've arrested many, many people for physical control. The biggest problem is, most people never "sleep it off" in the car. They sleep an hour or two at the most and drive...not enough to make a significant difference in their BAC levels (in a normal functioning human, BAC drops about .015 per hour, once the alcohol is fully absorbed in the stomach and intestines). "Sleeping it off" is generally just delaying the inevitable because drunk people just don't sleep long enough.

NomisR

Quote from: bing_oh on January 30, 2014, 09:52:56 AM
Alot, actually. In Ohio, you need to be in the driver's seat and in possession or have access to the keys...and I've arrested many, many people for physical control. The biggest problem is, most people never "sleep it off" in the car. They sleep an hour or two at the most and drive...not enough to make a significant difference in their BAC levels (in a normal functioning human, BAC drops about .015 per hour, once the alcohol is fully absorbed in the stomach and intestines). "Sleeping it off" is generally just delaying the inevitable because drunk people just don't sleep long enough.

So do you actually arrest them for simply "sleeping" in their cars? or do you arrest them when they're actually driving?  At least from what I know in CA, you can't be arrested for the DUI unless you actually moved the vehicle.  I don't think they can even get you until you moved it on to public streets. 

bing_oh

Quote from: NomisR on January 30, 2014, 01:10:22 PMSo do you actually arrest them for simply "sleeping" in their cars? or do you arrest them when they're actually driving?  At least from what I know in CA, you can't be arrested for the DUI unless you actually moved the vehicle.  I don't think they can even get you until you moved it on to public streets.

Physical Control (in the driver's seat with access to the keys...awake, asleep, whatever) is an arrestable offense. Yes, I have arrested for it many times. Movement isn't Physical Control, it's OVI (different offense). They both apply to public property and to private property accessible to the public (parking lots, driveways, etc).

MaxPower

here its much more restrictive than that - to get an oui you have to prove there was power to the wheels.   Sitting in driver's seat, with engine running, but gear selector in park isn't even enough.

NomisR

Quote from: bing_oh on January 30, 2014, 01:37:01 PM
Physical Control (in the driver's seat with access to the keys...awake, asleep, whatever) is an arrestable offense. Yes, I have arrested for it many times. Movement isn't Physical Control, it's OVI (different offense). They both apply to public property and to private property accessible to the public (parking lots, driveways, etc).

Ok, I guess different laws then... but lets say, i'm sitting in the passenger seat with the car on, does physical control apply? 

bing_oh

Quote from: NomisR on January 30, 2014, 03:40:32 PMOk, I guess different laws then... but lets say, i'm sitting in the passenger seat with the car on, does physical control apply?

Under current Ohio laws, no...the law states that you have to be "in the driver's position" for Physical Control. The law was actually re-written several years ago. At one time, Physical Control applied to anywhere in the vehicle as long as you had possession or access to the keys. I actually don't agree with the change (how difficult is it to jump into the driver's seat and go?), but that's neither here nor there.

Mustangfan2003

A former neighbor of mine told me that he was in Tennessee and was passed out on the side of a road.  A deputy saw his car and he ended up getting a DUI.  From my understanding if he was in the passenger seat the most he would've got was a public intoxication unless he said he was driving the car. 

bing_oh

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 30, 2014, 10:26:02 PMA former neighbor of mine told me that he was in Tennessee and was passed out on the side of a road.  A deputy saw his car and he ended up getting a DUI.  From my understanding if he was in the passenger seat the most he would've got was a public intoxication unless he said he was driving the car.

Laws vary by state. I can only tell you what Ohio law says...how it works in Tennessee is outside of my realm of knowledge. It's totally possible, though...I know that Ohio law has changed several times on this particular subject in the last 15 years.

r0tor

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 30, 2014, 10:26:02 PM
A former neighbor of mine told me that he was in Tennessee and was passed out on the side of a road.  A deputy saw his car and he ended up getting a DUI.  From my understanding if he was in the passenger seat the most he would've got was a public intoxication unless he said he was driving the car. 

Note to self... drive home no matter what
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on January 30, 2014, 09:52:56 AM

Two hours then, is defnitely enough time to make an illegal drunk into a legal drunk. If a guy leaves a bar at closing time, and realizes he's too drunk to drive, sleeping it off in the car might be his only real option.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: r0tor on January 31, 2014, 03:00:04 PM
Note to self... drive home no matter what

Or find another ride.  I don't think he even knew where he was or even knew why he was going to Tennessee.  By that time he should've rolled over into the other seat and pretend that someone else drove the car and then left. 

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 31, 2014, 03:51:22 PMTwo hours then, is defnitely enough time to make an illegal drunk into a legal drunk. If a guy leaves a bar at closing time, and realizes he's too drunk to drive, sleeping it off in the car might be his only real option.

Obviously, it depends on how drunk the person is in the first place. How many "leaners" (ie, people who are close to the legal limit) are going to decide to sleep in their cars in the first place? In my experience, not many. Most people who decide to go with this "option" are extremely intoxicated...like, still drunk when they drive to work the next morning intoxicated.

IMHO, this simply isn't a real option for a drunk. The right options would be to find a sober ride home...friend, cab, whatever. Drunks tend to have a poor grasp of time, as well as a poor grasp of their level of intoxication. Depending on a drunk to decide when enough time has passed where he is legally able to drive (in reality, impossible to calculate since you would need your starting BAC) is like playing Russian roulette.

bing_oh

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 31, 2014, 04:32:59 PMOr find another ride.  I don't think he even knew where he was or even knew why he was going to Tennessee.  By that time he should've rolled over into the other seat and pretend that someone else drove the car and then left.

Yea, good luck with that. Had plenty of people try that and it doesn't work for them.