beast mower

Started by Eye of the Tiger, January 24, 2014, 01:15:40 PM

Eye of the Tiger

I got one of these for $30. It doesnt run, but it will.

The idea is to turn it into a brush mower by cutting out the front of the deck, and possibly fitting a string head instead of a metal blade.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Are giant wheels involved?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 24, 2014, 03:37:40 PM
Are giant wheels involved?

They absolutely should be, if I can find some for cheap. These 7" wheels are probably not going to cut it.

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

More cleaner now. It was amazing how many casting flaws the factory left inside the combustion chamber. Not anymore

Eye of the Tiger

Removed height adjusters and went for straight lift.

giant_mtb

Soup DeVille

If zombie chihuahuas invade, everybody will come running to you.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Poor puppies!

After cleaning out the engine, carb, gas tank, and what not... I have a running brush mower prototype. The head gasket leaks, of course, since I didn't have a replacement on hand, so that is coming in the mail. The throttle linkage was fudged up, so I bypassed the governator and rigged a manual control. I also sharpened the blades all the way around the outer edge. I will be testing it tomorrow on some plants, not dogs.

Eye of the Tiger

Lifted, narrowed, cut deck, modded blade, almost ready to take down some huge grass and bamboo.

Next on the list:

-new head gasket (my bad)
-reinforce axle mounts for heavy duty off roading
-front chassis brace over the new intake hole
-probably widen the hole as far as possible once the deck is braced
-and then fab up a better debris shield up front, as well as out back

giant_mtb

Thread of the Year.

And it's only January.

MX793

You should have cut it in more of a V shape to better pull the grass into the blade.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 26, 2014, 06:51:32 AM
You should have cut it in more of a V shape to better pull the grass into the blade.

There is still some deck left to cut. I will see if I can V it.

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 26, 2014, 07:05:19 AM
There is still some deck left to cut. I will see if I can V it.

I hate to be the voice of doom, but that thing looks like an accident waiting to happen.  The first time you hit something substantial you stand a very good chance of snapping the crank or breaking the blade or having the blade throw something  and injuring yourself. 

As for Bamboo, just chopping it down is useless; you've got to kill the root.  One way that works is to cut the stalk asclose to the ground with a pruning saw and immediately spray the cut stalk with a 50/50 mix of roundup and water.  When cut the sap in bamboo startw withdrawing to the root within 15 seconds.  You want it to draw the roundup mix along with it.  It takes a while but eventually you'll kill it all .

For light growth, get one of these.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/outdoor-grounds-maintenance/garden-tools/string-trimmers/swr-675-standard-string-trimmer?infoParam.campaignId=T9A&gclid=CNCs8424nLwCFWwV7AodxUwA8g

I substitute 3/16" twisted steel cable for the trimmer line and I cam clear the whole .80 acre front yard with one set of line.

Eye of the Tiger

I'm not worried about erradicating all bamboo. There is just a little bit that I want to trim down.
As for doom, I am aware that it would be dangerous to rum this thing into something that it couldn't cut. It will be tested carefully before I decide to put it into real use. If the grass blade is too sketchy, I will chop the ends off and drill some holes to thread in trimmer string.

Just look at this. How dangerous could it possibly be?

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 26, 2014, 11:19:54 AM

Just look at this. How dangerous could it possibly be?

Before you use it be sure to shout "Hey Y'all, Watch This".   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 26, 2014, 11:29:00 AM

Before you use it be sure to shout "Hey Y'all, Watch This".   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Almost certainly

giant_mtb

Why is this in Motorcycles and not...the Garage...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 26, 2014, 07:45:54 PM
Why is this in Motorcycles and not...the Garage...

I'm assuming he's planning on riding it.

Secret Chimp

If you're going to stick with this, why not extend the handle backward 10 feet so you at least have a chance to dodge whatever this thing chucks out?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 26, 2014, 08:10:59 PM
If you're going to stick with this, why not extend the handle backward 10 feet so you at least have a chance to dodge whatever this thing chucks out?

I will be wearing proper PPE.

Eye of the Tiger

More modZ

Bigger mouth for more destruction
Angle iron brace up front will double as a mount for a debris shield
Random deck bracing welded to the weak side. Bleh. I was running out of ideas.

What kind of exhaust should I run? The stock muffler just ain't gonna cut it.

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 29, 2014, 02:39:53 PM
Open.

I have to put some kind of pipe on there.... At least a straight pipe with a chrome tip?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2014, 03:35:51 PM
I have to put some kind of pipe on there.... At least a straight pipe with a chrome tip?

I think on some of those motors, 3/4 inch rigid conduit threads into the head directly.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 30, 2014, 09:30:54 AM

I think on some of those motors, 3/4 inch rigid conduit threads into the head directly.

It's either 1/2 or 3/4" NPT fittings. I made mower exhaust before. Everything came from the plumbing aisle

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2014, 12:40:52 PM

What kind of exhaust should I run? The stock muffler just ain't gonna cut it.

IIRC, the muffler also acts as a spark arrestor which of course is designed to help prevent brush fires.  No muffler  or arrestor and you run the risk (probably small) of starting a fire.  In most places they are required by law. 

3.0L V6

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 30, 2014, 04:36:51 PM

IIRC, the muffler also acts as a spark arrestor which of course is designed to help prevent brush fires.  No muffler  or arrestor and you run the risk (probably small) of starting a fire.  In most places they are required by law. 

Have you seen the "Land" thread in General Talk? Legality is probably not a huge concern. Hell, do you see the pictures of the open cutting deck?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on January 30, 2014, 05:13:35 PM
Have you seen the "Land" thread in General Talk? Legality is probably not a huge concern. Hell, do you see the pictures of the open cutting deck?

:lol:

Anyway, a small fire would just help clear some of this damn brush.

Believe it or not, I would like to quiet this sucker down. I'm talking about running dual inline mufflers.

Byteme

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on January 30, 2014, 05:13:35 PM

Yeah, I've seen the pictures.  I'd bet that even in the backwoods of North Carolina you'd be prosecuted if a modified device like that started a wildfire.  Legality issues aside, there is a potential to start fires. I'd not want to see anybody here set fire to their own property.