detroit auto insurance costs > $10,000 a year. On average.

Started by veeman, February 05, 2014, 02:05:03 PM

veeman

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/2014/02/03/expensive-cities-car-insurance/

Holy moly!  Talk about a f__ked up place. 

It's like here is America and inside America we have one city which is a complete wasteland.  You can either lawfully own a car in Detroit for 10 years or you could save up enough to put 20% down on a 500,000 dollar house.  The amount of money to lawfully own a car in Detroit for 10 years is the same as a brand new S-class Mercedes-Benz.

I can't even get my head around that.

Laconian

"The Motor City is known for its cars, but its car insurance premiums are the highest in the nation. In Detroit, drivers face high rates because of the city's high crime rate and Michigan's no-fault insurance system. Under state law, insurance companies must pay medical expenses, lost wages and property damage regardless of who caused an accident. The system is intended to reduce litigation costs and ensure prompt claim repayment, but many complain that costs have ballooned because lawmakers have not set a cap on claim awards.

Detroit's annual insurance premiums are not uniformly high. We found that even within neighborhoods, Detroit's annual insurance premiums varied greatly. In the Rosedale Park neighborhood, State Farm offers a policy for $25,300 a year, while Hanover offers insurance for a fraction of the price at $4,854."

Sounds like a sweet gig for insurers.

Man, that city is screwed on so many levels. Is there a political equivalent to bankruptcy, where you set the city laws on fire and start again from scratch?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

So none of the police officers or firemen who work in Detroit live in Detroit.  Or of the ones that do, none of them own cars?  I would consider 10 grand a year an unaffordable car insurance payment for all but maybe 5% of all city workers.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 05, 2014, 02:52:34 PM
Must be really  bad drivers.

No, it's state law (= no fault insurance).

But color me unconvinced though that the average Detroiter is paying $900/mo in car insurance.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on February 05, 2014, 03:23:27 PM
No, it's state law (= no fault insurance).

But color me unconvinced though that the average Detroiter is paying $900/mo in car insurance.
I thought most auto insurance was no fault...has been for decades up here...and I pay about $1,000 per year.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

ifcar

Based on some Googling, it seems that what a lot of people do is register the car with an address outside of Detroit itself.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 05, 2014, 03:28:54 PM
I thought most auto insurance was no fault...has been for decades up here...and I pay about $1,000 per year.

Same for me on both points.

FlatBlackCaddy

At least the athletic sports are thriving.

I hear they have an amazing dome downtown where people come together to enjoy an evening of entertainment and celebration.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 05, 2014, 03:28:54 PM

Thankfully not; most US states are "fault" insurance (most all those states in the list are no-fault states) and thus have notably lower insurance premiums. Government in its wisdom failed again with no-fault laws - what was supposed to "protect" consumers actually led to far higher incidences of fraud and owing to the lack of checks-n-balances, higher claims payouts per incident.

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on February 05, 2014, 04:16:57 PM
Based on some Googling, it seems that what a lot of people do is register the car with an address outside of Detroit itself.

Not too good a solution - check the fine print and you'll find that to be a breach of the insurance contract (ergo, loss of coverage).

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on February 05, 2014, 07:59:04 PM
Not too good a solution - check the fine print and you'll find that to be a breach of the insurance contract (ergo, loss of coverage).

Right, of course, it's fraud.

veeman

I'm surprised there haven't been successful lawsuits against insurance companies for price gouging. 

GoCougs

Quote from: veeman on February 06, 2014, 06:25:13 AM
I'm surprised there haven't been successful lawsuits against insurance companies for price gouging. 

Insurance is highly regulated - in general insurance companies have to have their risk and rate models approved by the state insurance governing body - so it's practically impossible to sue for such a reason (outside being morally wrong to do so).

MX793

A lot of supposedly "no fault" states aren't actually no fault.  They're a hybrid.  They work like no fault in that in an accident, you are paid immediately by your own insurance company, but if the other driver was deemed responsible for the collision by the accident report, your insurance company may go after the other driver's for the damages.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on February 05, 2014, 03:17:20 PM
So none of the police officers or firemen who work in Detroit live in Detroit.  Or of the ones that do, none of them own cars?  I would consider 10 grand a year an unaffordable car insurance payment for all but maybe 5% of all city workers.

They abandoned he requirement that city police actually live in the city years ago; and even then, it was an open scam. Cops would keep "clubhouses" where a dozen or so would claim legal residence, get their mail at, and so on; but they'd actually live in the suburbs. Many of those places also doubled as illegal after hours clubs.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on February 06, 2014, 06:25:13 AM

It's not price gouging if the rates are backed up by the actuarial tables.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on February 05, 2014, 04:16:57 PM

Yep.

Technically a breach of contract, but it's almost never found out.

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on February 06, 2014, 10:26:54 AM
A lot of supposedly "no fault" states aren't actually no fault.  They're a hybrid.  They work like no fault in that in an accident, you are paid immediately by your own insurance company, but if the other driver was deemed responsible for the collision by the accident report, your insurance company may go after the other driver's for the damages.
That is how "no fault" works, at least up here.  The intention is that the persons having the claims will get reimbursed in a timely fashion, immediately, and when fault is assigned the insurance companies will settle between themselves.  I expect that the reason for such ungodly premiums down there is the litigation and highly exorbitant settlements.  It's not the "no fault" aspect, it's, purely, because of the litigious mentality.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on February 05, 2014, 07:21:27 PM
At least the athletic sports are thriving.

I hear they have an amazing dome downtown where people come together to enjoy an evening of entertainment and celebration.

Google "theatre bizarre"

Byteme

Quote from: veeman on February 05, 2014, 02:05:03 PM
http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/2014/02/03/expensive-cities-car-insurance/

It's like here is America and inside America we have one city which is a complete wasteland.  You can either lawfully own a car in Detroit for 10 years or you could save up enough to put 20% down on a 500,000 dollar house.  The amount of money to lawfully own a car in Detroit for 10 years is the same as a brand new S-class Mercedes-Benz.

That's more than 5 times what I pay annually to insure 4 vehicles here. 

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 06, 2014, 10:33:51 AM
Yep.

Technically a breach of contract, but it's almost never found out.

i'd be very concerned that if a serious accident occurred while I or my family member is driving, the insurance company would dig around to find out where you actually live and then deny all coverage including legal.

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 06, 2014, 10:31:36 AM
They abandoned he requirement that city police actually live in the city years ago; and even then, it was an open scam. Cops would keep "clubhouses" where a dozen or so would claim legal residence, get their mail at, and so on; but they'd actually live in the suburbs. Many of those places also doubled as illegal after hours clubs.

True but my assumption is that at least a certain percent of big city cops and other city employees live in the city they work in.  Probably the minority but some I would imaging do. Outside of NYC and maybe one or two other places, you really need to own a car to be able to do anything in the US.  You might not need it to go to work but if you wanted to go anywhere else outside of your local grocery store, you need a car.  Not "need" but you are in for a world of hurt in your life otherwise. 

Oh.  I forgot.  There are no chain grocery stores in Detroit. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on February 06, 2014, 01:26:32 PM

Oh.  I forgot.  There are no chain grocery stores in Detroit. 

That's no longer true, although it was for a few years.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on February 06, 2014, 01:17:11 PM
i'd be very concerned that if a serious accident occurred while I or my family member is driving, the insurance company would dig around to find out where you actually live and then deny all coverage including legal.

I've never heard of that happening. It is a possibility, but rare enough that few concern themselves with it.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on February 05, 2014, 02:22:07 PM

Man, that city is screwed on so many levels. Is there a political equivalent to bankruptcy, where you set the city laws on fire and start again from scratch?

There needs to be.  Just level the place and start over.  It's a pretty strange place.  I go up there pretty often for work, and rarely am I ever downtown in the actual city.  All of the tax-producing business and property is in the suburbs.  It's an entire city composed of legacy city worker pensions and drug dealers.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Byteme

Quote from: MrH on February 06, 2014, 04:06:43 PM
There needs to be.  Just level the place and start over.  It's a pretty strange place.  I go up there pretty often for work, and rarely am I ever downtown in the actual city.  All of the tax-producing business and property is in the suburbs.  It's an entire city composed of legacy city worker pensions and drug dealers.

In the 1950's St. Louis went from a population of over 850,000 to under 300,000 in the 60's as people fled to the suburbs.  The metro area is over 2,500,000  The place went to hell, downtown and the near North side weren't places you wanted to walk in during daylight hours or drive through at night.  Today the city has a population of just over 300,000 and is a much better place to live but the revitalization of the city itself has been slow and spotty.  I expect any effort to save Detroit will take decades.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 06, 2014, 10:35:35 AM
That is how "no fault" works, at least up here.  The intention is that the persons having the claims will get reimbursed in a timely fashion, immediately, and when fault is assigned the insurance companies will settle between themselves.  I expect that the reason for such ungodly premiums down there is the litigation and highly exorbitant settlements.  It's not the "no fault" aspect, it's, purely, because of the litigious mentality.

In no-fault states litigation is greatly reduced - that was one of its pieces of fault logic that purveyors said would reduce premiums. Thing is a robust tort system is absolutely necessary for checks and balances on human behavior no matter the realm, and precisely why fault states have much lower premiums than no-fault states.

NomisR

Quote from: veeman on February 05, 2014, 02:05:03 PM

Or you can buy 10,000 houses with that year of insurance.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on February 06, 2014, 05:05:11 PM
In no-fault states litigation is greatly reduced - that was one of its pieces of fault logic that purveyors said would reduce premiums. Thing is a robust tort system is absolutely necessary for checks and balances on human behavior no matter the realm, and precisely why fault states have much lower premiums than no-fault states.
The person "at fault" is deemed so and their premium rate is increased accordingly.  As claims are settled by insurance companies, they are the ones bearing the cost of the claim; therefore, higher or lower settlements have no impact on 'human behaviour'.