Washer Fluid in the radiator fluid...

Started by r0tor, February 11, 2014, 04:26:45 PM

r0tor

So washer fluid just got added accidentally to the radiator fluid reservoir instead of where it belongs... Probably a couple cups of winter grade de-icer.

Problem?  I know it has methanol in it which is corrosive, but it was a relatively small amount, methanol should boil out, and the rest is just water..
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

What car? How did that happen?

It's not as bad as my friend who had a jeep and put washer fluid where you put the engine oil.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on February 11, 2014, 05:22:54 PM
What car? How did that happen?

It's not as bad as my friend who had a jeep and put washer fluid where you put the engine oil.

Well it was dark and I was cold.  Popped the hood and right in front of me was a tank with a flip lid and what I thought looked like a windshield.  Flipped it up and started pouring.  Poured maybe a couple cups and looked on the side and then noticed  "full" and "add" written on the side.  Glanced at the other side of the bay and noticed another tank and similar cap - but that lid looked even more like a windshield... said "awwww fuuuu....."

Why the hell do they have pictures instead of frikkin "engine coolant" written on the damn thing...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Not sure if I should just forget about it, or pay out my ass the get it flushed next week... no way in hell im doing it by myself in the middle of this cold ass winter

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on February 11, 2014, 06:30:11 PM
Not sure if I should just forget about it, or pay out my ass the get it flushed next week... no way in hell im doing it by myself in the middle of this cold ass winter

It would have been easy to siphon it out of the overflow tank when you first noticed, but I guess you ran the engine, anyway. Fuck it. Flush it in the spring.

r0tor

I think im due for an oil change soon anyway... still not sure if its worth worrying about

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on February 11, 2014, 07:10:09 PM
I think im due for an oil change soon anyway... still not sure if its worth worrying about

I'll do both for $50.

Byteme

Quote from: r0tor on February 11, 2014, 04:26:45 PM
So washer fluid just got added accidentally to the radiator fluid reservoir instead of where it belongs... Probably a couple cups of winter grade de-icer.

Problem?  I know it has methanol in it which is corrosive, but it was a relatively small amount, methanol should boil out, and the rest is just water..

I'm not sure it will boil out, it being in a closed system designed to prevent any fluid from boiling out.

I'd be inclined to wait for a warm day and then just flush the system.

Don't feel bad.  I remember buying a new lawnmower.  it came with a premeasured bottle of oil for the crankcase and I promptly poured it in the fuel tank.  Goddam pictograms.  Why not just spell out "GAS" and "OIL" (or 710).

Rupert

Quote from: r0tor on February 11, 2014, 06:27:50 PM
Well it was dark and I was cold.  Popped the hood and right in front of me was a tank with a flip lid and what I thought looked like a windshield.  Flipped it up and started pouring.  Poured maybe a couple cups and looked on the side and then noticed  "full" and "add" written on the side.  Glanced at the other side of the bay and noticed another tank and similar cap - but that lid looked even more like a windshield... said "awwww fuuuu....."

Why the hell do they have pictures instead of frikkin "engine coolant" written on the damn thing...

Sold in places that don't speak English?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: CLKid on February 11, 2014, 07:59:01 PM

I'm not sure it will boil out, it being in a closed system designed to prevent any fluid from boiling out. 
I'd be inclined to wait for a warm day and then just flush the system.

Kid my ass!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on February 11, 2014, 08:00:20 PM
Kid my ass!

Are you just sitting there, fingers poised over the keyboard, waiting to jump my ass?   :lol:

Rupert