2014 Chevrolet SS NASCAR PACE Car In Flames

Started by Atomic, February 16, 2014, 11:41:37 AM

Atomic

AP Photo, Provided Below/Jim Topper for ESPN Sports News Print

Track Workers Extinguish a Fire that Started in the Pace Car During the Sprint Unlimited at Daytona

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR and Chevrolet are investigating a fire inside the pace car during Saturday night's exhibition race at Daytona International Speedway.

Black smoke began billowing from the Chevrolet SS right before the third segment of the Sprint Unlimited race. Flames could be seen shooting from the rear of the car as it sat on the apron and two NASCAR officials jumped out.

A replacement pace car was brought out to finish the race.

A spokeswoman for Chevrolet said the manufacturer was working with NASCAR to determine what caused the fire.

General Motors earlier this week recalled almost 800,000 of its 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt and 2007 Pontiac G5 compacts in North America because of faulty ignition switches.

Sources: ESPN, The Associated Press/AP

Atomic

68_427

It was an extra battery pack that was installed for all the extra lights.  Too bad.  The SS looks amazing in blue and that color should be offered on the production car.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Atomic

Found an interesting article about the 2014 Chevrolet SS than I am hoping to locate and post. I really like the Chevy SS and hope it sticks around with frequent updates for many years to come. I will post the link or quote the actual article once I rediscover it. The pic provided with the same SS story... Atomic

2014-MY Chevrolet SS Pic, Above and the Article,
A Full Review of the Car I Spoke of... Well Worth a Close Read, Below

http://jalopnik.com/2014-chevrolet-ss-the-jalopnik-review-1482793126

Source: Jalopnik

r0tor

Not too many people out there are going to fork up $46k for a car with a Chevy badge, ugly interior, boring styling, and general GM cheapness.

It died twice before for a reason.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2014, 01:13:08 PM
Not too many people out there are going to fork up $46k for a car with a Chevy badge, ugly interior, boring styling, and general GM cheapness.

The SS doesn't feel cheap

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2014, 01:13:08 PM

You seen the prices on a new Tahoe or Silverado lately?  I've been a bit critical of the car and I agree it's a bit steep in price.  I think it would've been worth it if it came with the new LT1 and the new 8 speed but I think the interior looks pretty good. 

r0tor

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on February 16, 2014, 02:03:48 PM
You seen the prices on a new Tahoe or Silverado lately?  I've been a bit critical of the car and I agree it's a bit steep in price.  I think it would've been worth it if it came with the new LT1 and the new 8 speed but I think the interior looks pretty good. 

People are willing to pay big bucks for a truck or SUV because there are no alternatives

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2014, 02:13:23 PM
People are willing to pay big bucks for a truck or SUV because there are no alternatives

What vastly better alternatives are there to the SS for the same or less money?  New cars, not "used M5" or similar.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

It's at least way better than either the Charger SRT-8 or Taurus SHO, plus in general the auto mags have been gushing over it (including the interior quality/appointments).

The equivalently priced '90s Impala SS found a dedicated fan base. Same might happen here. If it takes hold it will definitely help to continue to elevate the brand as has been done by the Camaro, Impala, C7, Volt and Cruze (Malibu being the only misstep).

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on February 16, 2014, 02:17:57 PM
What vastly better alternatives are there to the SS for the same or less money?  New cars, not "used M5" or similar.

You can get a pretty nice 335i, S4, IS, CTS, ATS, A6, or 5er for about the same price.

Yea the SS has a nice V8, but a 5.0s run to 60 is not all that fast and within reach of basically most of the above.

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2014, 02:39:51 PM
You can get a pretty nice 335i, S4, IS, CTS, ATS, A6, or 5er for about the same price.

Yea the SS has a nice V8, but a 5.0s run to 60 is not all that fast and within reach of basically most of the above.

First off, the $46K number is for a fully loaded (granted, the only options are a $900 sunroof and $500 full-size spare) SS and includes the $1300 gas guzzler tax.

The 3er, S4, IS, and ATS are all considerably smaller, particularly in rear seat space.  Not an option for someone who regularly carries adults in the back seat.

The 528i starts at $50K before adding any of BMW's notoriously pricy options to try to equalize the equipment level, and you're in a car that isn't even close to the same performance level.  Similar equipment levels puts you at nearly $10K more.  A 535i with heated seats and steering wheel paddle shifters is $60K ($55K base price).

A base CTS, with the ~275 hp turbo motor, starts at $45K.  Again, not nearly the same performance level as the similarly priced SS.  A V6 model is $55K, which is way more money and you're still down 100 hp.

Audi A6 is a similar story.  The base 2.0T model is in the price ballpark, but nowhere close in performance.  The V6, which is still down on power, is $10K more.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

The 335i is practically the same size as a 5er.  The IS, 3er, and A4 have all grown up to the point that they easily carry 4 adults.  The 5er starts at $47k.

The SS is not nearly as fast as it needs to be to take those options out of the picture at this price.  It needs to be easily $10k cheaper or upgrade itself to CTS levels of refinement to sell in any kind of meaningful manner.

2o6

Its a niche car, and those car are still smaller

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2014, 03:14:54 PM
The 335i is practically the same size as a 5er.  The IS, 3er, and A4 have all grown up to the point that they easily carry 4 adults.  The 5er starts at $47k.

The SS is not nearly as fast as it needs to be to take those options out of the picture at this price.  It needs to be easily $10k cheaper or upgrade itself to CTS levels of refinement to sell in any kind of meaningful manner.

The SS offers 4.5+ inches of additional rear seat leg room over the 3 series, A/S4, IS, and ATS.  It's a 6+ inch difference in the case of the IS and ATS.  That's a huge difference.  The trunk is also considerably larger than any of those cars (20% to 60% larger than any of the aforementioned).

And the 5er for 2014 starts at $49,500 for a 528i.  I can post a screen capture from BMW's website, if you like.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on February 16, 2014, 03:06:17 PM
First off, the $46K number is for a fully loaded (granted, the only options are a $900 sunroof and $500 full-size spare) SS and includes the $1300 gas guzzler tax.

The 3er, S4, IS, and ATS are all considerably smaller, particularly in rear seat space.  Not an option for someone who regularly carries adults in the back seat.

The 528i starts at $50K before adding any of BMW's notoriously pricy options to try to equalize the equipment level, and you're in a car that isn't even close to the same performance level.  Similar equipment levels puts you at nearly $10K more.  A 535i with heated seats and steering wheel paddle shifters is $60K ($55K base price).

A base CTS, with the ~275 hp turbo motor, starts at $45K.  Again, not nearly the same performance level as the similarly priced SS.  A V6 model is $55K, which is way more money and you're still down 100 hp.

Audi A6 is a similar story.  The base 2.0T model is in the price ballpark, but nowhere close in performance.  The V6, which is still down on power, is $10K more.

Pretty much. Equivalently equipped the SS is at least $8-10k cheaper than all those cars.

The SS is in a unique spot. It's not intended to compete with those cars, and will virtually never be cross shopped with any of them, save for (big) MAYBE the base CTS.

It's mostly for the Corvette and Camaro guys, and maybe some well-healed good ole boys who want a respite from their Duramax dreadnaughts.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2014, 03:14:54 PM

At 0-60 in 4.5 sec and 1/4 mile at 12.9 sec @ 111 mph the SS is as fast as the fastest of the group (S4) and way faster than the rest.

Mustangfan2003

It's a pretty limited car anyway.  You might be lucky to find one at your local lot. 

GoCougs

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on February 16, 2014, 03:42:31 PM
It's a pretty limited car anyway.  You might be lucky to find one at your local lot. 

Again pretty much. It's not meant to be a volume seller and is really only for dedicated Chevy fans.

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on February 16, 2014, 03:32:39 PM
The SS offers 4.5+ inches of additional rear seat leg room over the 3 series, A/S4, IS, and ATS.  It's a 6+ inch difference in the case of the IS and ATS.  That's a huge difference.  The trunk is also considerably larger than any of those cars (20% to 60% larger than any of the aforementioned).

And the 5er for 2014 starts at $49,500 for a 528i.  I can post a screen capture from BMW's website, if you like.

Yea, its bigger - but all of the other cars are large enough to easily fit 4.  If your after performance, your going to stop at the size that fits your need and not go bigger then you need.  Your also going to want a manual transmission or dual clutch.

Its an extremely small play on a crowd that wants a large car in the upper 40's and has a Chevy badge.

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2014, 04:11:12 PM
Yea, its bigger - but all of the other cars are large enough to easily fit 4.  If your after performance, your going to stop at the size that fits your need and not go bigger then you need.  Your also going to want a manual transmission or dual clutch.

Its an extremely small play on a crowd that wants a large car in the upper 40's and has a Chevy badge.

There's a difference between being able to fit 4 adults to make a 15-30 minute drive downtown for dinner, and being able to comfortably accommodate 4 adults for a multi-hour road trip.  The 3er and A4 have the same rear legroom as a Mazda3, Corolla, or Civic.  These are not big cars inside.  For someone who wants/needs real midsize/fullsize car space but still wants performance, their options are to pony up $55K+ for a 535/A6 3.0T/CTS 3.6/E350/etc... (and even some of those are a fair bit smaller inside, the 5er has only a fraction of an inch more rear legroom than the 3er), or get a Charger SRT8.  And the SS walks all over the SRT8 when it comes to refinement and the interior.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

I think the "Impala" would have been a great Malibu, and the SS should have been the Impala, but sold in V6 trim as well.

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on February 16, 2014, 04:42:44 PM
There's a difference between being able to fit 4 adults to make a 15-30 minute drive downtown for dinner, and being able to comfortably accommodate 4 adults for a multi-hour road trip.  The 3er and A4 have the same rear legroom as a Mazda3, Corolla, or Civic.  These are not big cars inside.  For someone who wants/needs real midsize/fullsize car space but still wants performance, their options are to pony up $55K+ for a 535/A6 3.0T/CTS 3.6/E350/etc... (and even some of those are a fair bit smaller inside, the 5er has only a fraction of an inch more rear legroom than the 3er), or get a Charger SRT8.  And the SS walks all over the SRT8 when it comes to refinement and the interior.

I could easily fit in my friend e90 for a long time.  The F30 is larger.  The current breed that size car is large enough to easily fit 4.  The SS is trying to appeal to the rare few that wants a large car that can get out of its own way - its a small small small crowd.

The vast majority of performance oriented shoppers that the SS is trying to appeal to will go smaller then the SS.  Hence GMs sales target is pitiful low and only exists at all because of the fleet sales to cops.

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on February 16, 2014, 04:42:44 PM

Or like a used M5, of course.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2014, 05:06:13 PM
I could easily fit in my friend e90 for a long time.  The F30 is larger.  The current breed that size car is large enough to easily fit 4.  The SS is trying to appeal to the rare few that wants a large car that can get out of its own way - its a small small small crowd.

The vast majority of performance oriented shoppers that the SS is trying to appeal to will go smaller then the SS.  Hence GMs sales target is pitiful low and only exists at all because of the fleet sales to cops.

In no way is this car meant to be for the 3er/A4 crowd.  It's meant for the people that want a V8 RWD Chevrolet sedan.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2014, 05:06:13 PM

I see a fair number of Charger R/Ts and SRTs around.  Why aren't those people buying 3ers and A4s?  And GM's only importing something like 2000 SSes per year.  It's not meant to be a high volume car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on February 16, 2014, 03:06:17 PM

This is true! But I really wish GM had dropped the LT1 in the SS! I'd like this car much more at 40K! And what you said about carrying 4 adults on a long trip is true! The back seat in these cars (SS and G8) is HUGE!

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

veeman

I doubt initially it'll be priced at 46K.  Dealers will add on a few thousand which is what happened when the goat first went on sale.